- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Single Dose Toxicity of ShinEumHur Pharmacopuncture Injected into the Muscles of Rats
- Jeong, Hohyun (Department of Korean Medicine, Shinangun Geriatric Hospital) ;
- Cha, Eunhye (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Lee, Jongcheol (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Lee, Seongjin (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Park, Manyong (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Kim, Dongwoung (Department of Internal Medicine, Oriental Medical Hospital, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Song, Bongkeun (Department of Oriental Internal Medicine, Oriental Medical Hospital, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Lee, Jongdeok (Department of Radiology, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Kim, Sungchul (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital)
- Received : 2015.11.14
- Accepted : 2016.09.22
- Published : 2016.12.31
Objectives: This study was carried out to analyze the single dose toxicity of ShinEumHur (SEH) pharmacopuncture injected into the muscles of Sprague-Dawley rats. Methods: The SEH pharmacopuncture was made in a clean room at the Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute (K-GMP). After the mixing process with sterile distilled water had been completed, the pH was controlled to between 7.0 and 7.5. All experiments were conducted at Biotoxtech, an institution authorized to perform non-clinical studies under the Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) regulations. Sprague-Dawley rats were chosen for the pilot study. Doses of SEH pharmacopuncture, 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 mL, were administered to the experimental groups, and a dose of normal saline solution, 1.0 mL, was administered to the control group. We examined the survival rate, weights, clinical signs, mean hematology parameters, mean clinical chemistry, necropsy and histopathological findings. This study was conducted under the approval of the Institutional Animal Ethics Committee. Results: No deaths or abnormalities occurred in any of the four groups. No significant changes in weight, hematological parameters or clinical chemistry between the control group and the experimental groups were observed. To check for abnormalities in organs and tissues, we used microscopy to examine representative histological sections of each specified organ; the results showed no significant differences in any of the organs or tissues. Conclusion: The above findings suggest that treatment with SEH pharmacopuncture is relatively safe. Further studies on this subject are needed to yield more concrete evidence.
Supported by : Wonkwang university
- Korean pharmacopuncture institute. [Pharmacop-uncture therapy guidelines]. Seoul: Hansung printing; 1999. 143 p. Korean.
- Yook TH. [Clinical observation about the extent of improvement of low back pain patient through medi-ac-upuncture therapy]. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Society. 1995;16(1):184-97. Korean.
- Joo HJ. [Researches on parmacopuncture]. KIOM. 1995;5:193-210. Korean.
- Yang L, Sun J, Han L. Clinical application and study on Liuwei Dihuang pill composition. Journal of Zhejiang University of TCM. 2010;34(5):796-8.
- Korean pharmacopuncture institute. [Pharmacopunc-ture therapy guidelines]. Seoul: Korean pharmacop-uncture institute; 2000. p. 12, 18-33, 157-9. Korean.
- Park YC, Lee GY, Baek LM, Son HY, Kook YB, Lee SD. [Pharmacological action and toxicity of Rehmannia glutinosa]. Herbal Formula Science. 2011;19(1):145-60. Korean.
- Kim SH, Choi EJ, Kim DH, Lee KY, Lee M, Baek SW, et al. [Stability test of the extracts of Cimicifugae Rhizoma, Achyranthis Radix, Artemisia Capillaris Herba, Moutan Cortex Radicis and Arecae Semen for toxicity study]. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2008;39(3):241-5. Korean.
- Chung SR, Jeune KH, Park SY, Jang SJ. [Toxicity and lec-tins constituents from the seed of Cornus officinalis]. Kor J Pharmacogn. 1993;24(2):177-82. Korean.
- Seok JH, Roh HS, Jeong JY, Ha HY. [Acute oral toxicity of Alismatis Rhizoma in SD rats]. J Korean Med Ophthal-mol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2013;26(4):15-25. Korean. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2013.26.4.015
- Jeon WK, Lee JH, Lee JH, Ma JY. [Acute toxicity of Yuk-mijihwang-tang in ICR mice]. Herbal Formula Science. 2009;17(2):65-72. Korean.
- Chen RQ, Wong CM, Lam TH. Construction of a traditional Chinese medicine syndrome-specific out-come measure: the kidney deficiency syndrome questionnaire (KDSQ). BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:DOI: 10.1186/1472-6882-12-73. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-12-73
- Wang D, Shang X. Liuwei Dihuang pill in prevention and treatment of gerontological diseases. Chinese Journal of Gerontology. 2011;31:524-7.
Jatinder S, Xiaoli S, Owen SD Wally, Kaibin Zhang, Xiu-hong Ji, Zhimin Wang, et al. Liuwei Dihuang (LWDH), a traditional Chinese medicinal formula, protects against
$\beta$-amyloid toxicity in transgenic caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e43990. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0043990
- Shin IS, Lee MY, Ha HK, Seo CS, Shin HK. Inhibitory effect of Yukmijihwang-Tang, a traditional herbal formula against testosterone-induced benign prostatic hyperplasia in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12(1):48.
- Chen H, Zhu Q, Tang X, Min M, Jie L, Chen L. Effect of Shen-Qi-Di-Huang decoction on reducing proteinu-ria by preserving nephrin in adriamycin-induced ne-phropathy rats. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2011;8(4):467-76.
- Perry B, Zhang J, Sun C, Saleh T, Wang Y. Liuwei di-huang lowers body weight and improves insulin and leptin sensitivity in obese rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:DOI: 10.1155/2012/847167. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/847167
- Kim SK, Ryu SS, Park SJ, Park SK, Choi WJ, Sun SH. Korean herbal medicine for treating Henoch-schonlein purpura with yin deficiency: five case reports. J Pharmacopuncture. 2014;17(4):70-5. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2014.17.040
- Lee SN, Kim MG, Kim MH, Kim HJ, Jo HJ, Kim EH, et al. [Effects of Yukmigeehwang-hwan pharmacopuncture extracts on the collagenase activity and procollagen synthesis in HS68 human fibroblasts and tyrosinase activity]. Korean J Acupunct. 2011;28(1):39-46. Korean.
- Choi WJ, Min SY, Kim JH. [Effect of Yukmijihwang-Tang gamibang aqua-acupuncture on the recovery of chondrocyte phenotype]. J Korean Orient Pediatr. 2010;24(1):117-125. Korean.
- Seo DM, Lee SH, Lee JD, Choi DY, Kim CH, Lee YH, et al. [Effect of herbal acupuncture on ankylosing spon-dylitis and its evaluation of functional scale]. The Acupuncture. 2002;19(6):234-46. Korean.
- Kim GH, Hahm DH, Lee HC, Yeom MJ, Han DO, Zhao MA, et al. [Anti-arthritic properties of ShinEum-Hur-herbal acupuncture assessed by knee circumference, squeak threshold and weight distribution ratio in rat]. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2004;18(4):1001-6. Korean.
- Chang TY, Park HS, Shin SH. [Effects of Achyranthis Radix aqua-acupuncture on adjuvant arthritis in rats]. J Korean Oriental Med. 2000;21(3):77-87. Korean.
- Kim KS, Lee BR, Yang GY, An TW, Yim YK. [Effects of the herbal-acupuncture with Corni Fructus extract at Eumgok(KI10) on osteoporosis in ovariectomized mice]. Koean J Acupunct. 2010;27(1):63-85. Korean.
- Han JG, Kim YS, Kim BS, Yim YK. [The effect of Alismatis Rhizoma herbal-acupuncture at KI10 on LPS-induced Nephritis in Rats]. The Acupuncture. 2014;31(1):51-60. Korean. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2014006
- Cho SY, Kim CH, Yoon HM, Jang KJ, Ahn CB, Song CH. [The effect of Plantaginis Semen herbal acupuncture on acute renal failure in rat]. Korean J Acupunct. 2005;22(4):117-27. Korean.
- Kim YK. [The principle and test method. toxicology]. Seoul: Donghwagisul; 1994. p. 15-8. Korean.
- Kim YG. [Toxicology]. Seoul: Donghwagisul; 1984. p. 15-8. Korean.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. [Korea food & drug administration notification]. Seoul; Korea Food & Drug Administration; 2005. p. 60. Korean.