- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Congruence in Leader and Follower Perceptions of Leader-Member Exchange: Relationships with Organizational Commitment and Perceptions of Organizational Politics
리더-구성원 교환관계에 대한 리더와 구성원 지각의 정합성: 조직정치지각과 정서적 조직몰입의 관계를 중심으로
- 박재춘 (단국대학교 경영학부)
- Received : 2016.08.19
- Accepted : 2016.09.12
- Published : 2016.11.28
The purposes of this paper examines the extant to which congruence in leader and follower rating of LMX quality is related to organizational commitment, and perceptions of organizational politics(POPs). A conceptual model is introduced that identifies four combinations of leader and follower LMX ratings of Cogliser et al.(2009): balanced/low LMX(low leader and follower LMX), balanced/high LMX(high leader and follower LMX), follower overestimation(low leader LMX/high follower LMX), follower underestimation(high leader LMX/low follower LMX). The summary of results based on a sample of 236 matched pairs of leaders and followers in KOREA is as follows: First, balanced/high LMX and follower overestimation were associated with relatively high levels of affective organizational commitment, and perceptions of organizational politics. However, follower underestimation and balanced/low LMX was related to low levels of follower outcomes. In particular, follower underestimation and balanced/low LMX were significantly different from balanced/high LMX and follower overestimation. Second, perceptions of organizational politics was negatively related to affective organizational commitment in the four LMX relationship types. Especially, the negative relationship between POPs and organizational commitment was stronger for people who are low as compared with high in LMX quality. Theoretical and practical implications of our findings as well as directions for future research are provided.
Perceptions of Organizational Politics;Leader-member Exchange(LMX);Congruence of LMX;Affective Organization Commitment;Uncertainty Management Theory
- G. P. Graen and M. Uhl-Bien, "Relationshipbased approach to leadership, development of leader-member exchange theory of leadership over 25 years: applying a multilevel multi-domain perspective," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.25, pp.219-247, 1995.
- C. R. Gerstner and D. V. Day, "Meta-analytic review of leader-member exchange theory: correlates and construct issues," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.22, pp.789-808, 1997.
- C. C. Cogliser, C. A. Schriesheim, T. A. Scandura, and W. L. Gardner, "Balance in leader and follower perceptions of leader-member exchange: Relationships with performance and work attitudes," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.20, pp.452-465, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2009.03.010
- L. D. Molm and K. S. Cook, Social exchange and exchange networks, In K. S. Cook, G. A. Fine, & J. S. House(Eds.), Sosiological perspectives on social psychology, pp.209-235, Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 1995.
- R. F. Piccolo, M. Bardes, D. M. Mayer, and T. A. Judge, "Does high quality leader-member exchange accentuate the effects of organizational justice?," European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, Vol.17, pp.273-298, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/13594320701743517
- C. C. Rosen, K. J. Harris, and K. M. Kacmar, "LMX, context perceptions, and performance: An uncertainty management perspective," Journal of Management, Vol.37, No.3, pp.819-838, 2011.
- E. A. Lind and K. Van den Bos, When fairness works: Toward a general theory of uncertainty management, In B. M. Staw & R. M. Kramer(Eds.), Research in organizational behavior, Vol.24, pp.181-223, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 2002.
- S. Tangirala and B. J. Alge, "Reactions to unfair events in computer-mediated groups: A test of uncertainty management theory," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.100, No.1, pp.1-20, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2005.11.002
- M. C. Andrew and K. M. Kacmar, "Discriminating among organizational politics, justices, and support," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.22, pp.347-366, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.92
- G.. P. Graen and M. Uhl-Bien, "The transformation of professionals into self-managing and partially self-designing contributions: Toward a theory of leader-making," Journal of Management Systems, Vol.3, No.3, pp.33-48, 1991.
- R. C. Liden, R. T. Sparrowe, and S. J. Wayne, Leader-member exchange theory: The past and potential for the future, In G. R. Ferris(Ed.), Research in personnel and human resources management, Vol.15, pp.47-119, Greenwich, CT, USA: JAE Press, Inc., 1997.
- 손은율, 최명옥, 박동건, "LMXSC가 조직몰입 및 일탈행동에 미치는 영향: 지각된 상사 지위의 조절효과 검증," 한국심리학회지: 산업 및 조직, 제24권, 제4호, pp.719-738, 2011.
- G. R. Ferris and K. M. Kacmar(1992), "Perceptions of organizational politics," Journal of Management, Vol.18, pp.93-116, 1992.
- P. J. Frost, Power, politics, and influence, In F. Jablin, L. Putnam, K. Roberts, and L. Porter (Eds.), Handbook of organizational communication, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, pp.503-548, 1987.
- 강대석, 김하연, "윤리적 행동-커리어 성공의 연계성과 조직정치의 지각이 커리어 관련 모티베이션에 미치는 영향," 인사관리연구, 제32권, 제4호, pp.125-150, 2008.
- K. M. Kacmar and G. R. Ferris, "Perceptions of organizational politics scale (POPS): Development and construct validation," Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.51, pp.193-205, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164491511019
- K. M. Kacmar and D. S. Carlson, "Further validation of the perceptions of politics scale(POPS): A multiple sample investigation," Paper Presented at Academy of Management Meeting, Dallas, Texas, 1994.
- K. Lewin, Principles of topological psychology, New York: McGraw-Hil, 1936.
- H. Mintzberg, The nature of managerial work, New York: Longman, 1973.
- L. A. Witt, M. C. Andrews, and K. M. Kacmar, "The role of participation in decision-making in the organizational politics-job satisfaction relationship," Human Relations, Vol.53, No.3, pp.341-358, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726700533003
- M. Valle and P. L. Perrewe, "Do politics perceptions relate to political behaviors? Tests of an implicit assumption and expanded model," Human Relations, Vol.53, pp.359-386, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726700533004
- W. D. Davis and W. L. Garner, "Perceptions of politics and organizational cynicism: An attributional and leader-member exchange perspective," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.15, pp.439-465, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.05.002
- R. J. Ilies, D. Nahrgang, and F. P. Morgeson, "Leader-member exchange and citizenship behavior: A meta-analysis," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.92, No.1, pp.269-277, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.1.269
- R. T. Sparrowe and R. C. Liden, "Process and structure in leader-member exchange," Academy of Management Review, Vol.22, pp.522-552, 1997. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1997.9707154068
- W. E. McClane, "Implications of Member Role Differentiation: Analysis of a Key Concept in the LMX of Leadership," Group & Organization Studies, Vol.16, No.1, pp.102-113, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960119101600107
- S. W. J. Kozlowski and M. L. Doherty, "Integration of Climate and Leadership: Examination of a Neglected Issue," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.74, No. 4, pp.546-553, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.74.4.546
- B. K. Miller and K. M. Nicols, "Politics and justice: A mediated moderation model," Journal of Managerial Issues, Vol.20, No.2, pp.214-237, 2008.
- G. Atinc, M. Darrat, B. Fuller, and B. W. Parker, "Perceptions of organizational politics: A meta-analysis of theoretical antecedents," Journal of Managerial Issues, Vol.22, No.4, pp.494-513, 2010.
- 박재춘, "대상유사성모형으로 본 조직시민행동에 대한 LMX, 조직정치 및 자기효능감의 효과," 한국행정연구, 제22권, 제3호, pp.91-123, 2013.
- D. Farrell and J. C. Peterson, "Patterns of political behavior in organizations," Academy of Management Review, Vol.7, pp.403-412, 1982.
- M. K. Valle, M. Kacmar, and S. Zivnuska, "Self-efficacy, outcome expectation and organizational politics perception," Journal of Behavioral and Applied Management, Vol.5, No.1, pp.18-30, 2003.
- E. Vigoda, "Internal politics in public administration systems," Public personnel Management, Vol.29, No.2, pp.185-210, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/009102600002900203
- C. Chang, C. C. Rosen, and P. E. Levy, "The relationship between perceptions of organizational politics and employee attitudes, strain, and behavior: A meta-analytic examination," Academy of Management Journal Vol.52, No.4, pp.779-801, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2009.43670894
- W. A. Hochwarter, C. Kacmar, P. L. Perrewe, and D. Johnson, "Perceived organizational support as a mediator of the relationship between politics perceptions and work outcomes," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.63, No.3, pp.438-456, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-8791(02)00048-9
- K. J. Harris and K. M. Kacmar, "Easing the strain: The buffer role of supervisors in the perceptions of politics-strain relationship," Journal of Organizational and Occupational Psychology, Vol.78, No.3, pp.337-354, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317905X26110
- 박재춘, "조직정치지각과 지각된 업무성과: 리더-구성원 교환관계와 자기효능감의 삼원조절효과를 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제16권, 제8호, pp.48-58, 2016.
- T. Kimura, "The Moderating Effects of Political Skill and Leader-Member Exchange on the Relationship Between Organizational Politics and Affective Commitment," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.116, pp.587-599, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1497-x
- J. N. Allen and P. J. Meyer, "The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization," Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol.63, pp.1-17, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- P. M. Podsakoff and D. W. Organ, "Self-reports in organizational research: Problems and prospects," Journal of Management, Vol.12, pp.531-544, 1986.
- L. S. Aiken and S. G. West, Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions, Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1991.
- B. M. Bass, Bass & Stogdill's handbook of leadership, New York: Free Press, 1990.