- Volume 16 Issue 11
The purpose of this study is to analyze the impact of R&D investment on productivity growth of the Korean Economy in the New Normal Era. To be specific, this study focuses on the impact of R&D capital, other capitals, and total factor productivity(TFP) on the labor productivity during the three periods: 1970-2014, 1970-1997, and 1999-2014. We found out that the change of the intensity in the R&D capital and other capitals significantly impacted on the change of the labor productivity in Korea. In particular, the estimated coefficients of these variables are higher after the period of the IMF financial crisis than before the crisis. We also estimated the marginal productivity of R&D capital investment in terms of the TFP growth. The estimated coefficients of the variables showed stronger effects after the period of the IMF financial crisis than before the crisis. As a result, the increase of R&D investment has been greatly impacted on the growth of the total factor productivity(TFP) after the IMF financial crisis in Korea.
New Normal;R&D Investment;TFP;Labor Productivity;Marginal Productivity of R&D
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 김선재, 이영화, "한국 공공부문의 R&D 투자가 국내산업에 미치는 영향," 산업경제연구, 제28권, 제1호, pp.71-88, 2015.
- 김선재, 이영화, "뉴 노멀하 한국기업의 R&D 투자가 산업간 기술파급에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제2호, pp.390-399, 2013.
- Z. Griliches, "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," The Bell Journal of Economics, Vol.10, No.1, pp.92-116, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/3003321
- Bozeman, Barry and Albert N. Link, "The Productivity Growth to Technology Relationship, Investments in Technology," Chapter 5, pp.74-83, 1983.
- Y. Tsao, "Growth without productivity: Singapore manufacturing in the 1970s," Journal of Development Economics, Vol.18, pp.25-38, 19850.
- L. R. Christen and D. Cummings, "Real product, real factor input, and productivity in the republic of Korea 1960-1973," Journal of Development Economics, Vol.8, No.2, pp.285-302, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3878(81)90017-1
- Goto, Akira and Kazuyuki, Suzuki, "R&D Capital, Rate of Return on R&D Investment and Spillover of R&D in Japanese Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol.71, No.4, pp.555-564, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/1928096
- D. Audretsch and M. Feldman, "R&D spillover and geography of innovation and production," The American Economic Review, Vol.86, pp.630-640, 1996.
- B. Los and B. Verspagen, "R&D spillovers and productivity: evidence from US manufacturing microdata," Empirical Econommics, Vol.25, pp.127-148, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001810050007
- 김인철, 김원규, 김학수, 연구개발투자의 효율성 분석, 산업연구원, 2003.
- 이원기, 김봉기, "연구개발투자의 생산성 파급효과 분석," 조사통계월보(한국은행), 2003년 5월, pp.24-51, 2003.
- 김선재, "국민지적자본과 한국의 경제성장: 1971-2007," 지식연구, 제7권, 제1호, pp.3-25, 2009.
- Terleckyj, "Direct and Indirect Effects of Industrial Research and Development on the Productivity Growth of Industries," John W. Kendrick and B.N. Varacca ed., New Developments in Productivity Measurement, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc., pp.357-386, 1980.
- OECD, Measuring Productivity: OECD Manual, Measurement of Aggregate and Industrial-level Productivity Growth, 2001.