- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Tongue Strength and Accuracy Training on Tongue Strength, Swallowing Function, and Quality of Life in Chronic Stroke Patients with Dysphagia
혀 근력 및 정확도 훈련이 삼킴장애가 있는 만성 뇌졸중 환자의 혀 근력, 삼킴기능, 삶의 질에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2016.08.01
- Accepted : 2016.08.25
- Published : 2016.11.28
This study was investigated to effect of tongue strength and accuracy training (TSAT) on tongue strength, swallowing function, quality of life in chronic stroke patients with dysphagia. Eighteen chronic stroke patients with dysphagia participated in this study, and were allocated randomly to experimental(n=9) and control group(n=9). both group conducted to traditional dysphagia therapy, and experimental group was carried out additionally TSAT. TSAT performed using Iowa Oral Performance Instrument(IOPI), and was set up to 50%, 75%, 100% of maximum isometric tongue strength. Two groups received the treatment for five per weeks, eight weeks. Outcome measurements performed that Maximum Isometric Strength(MIS) was assessed by using IOPI for measure the tongue strength, and Swallowing Function Test(SFT) was used to assess the swallowing function. Swallowing-Quality of Life(SWAL-QOL) was used to evaluate quality of life related to swallow. In results of study, experimental group in comparison of change score between two group significantly improve than control group in anterior and posterior MIS, and SFT. SWAL-QOL was not significantly difference in both group. Based on thin study results, TSAT may be a effective intervention to improve on tongue strength, and swallowing function in chronic stroke patients with dysphagia.
Tongue Strength and Accuracy Training;Dysphagia;Stroke;Tongue Strength
- 김세연, "정상노인의 삼킴관련 삶의 질이 노인의 전반적인 삶의 질에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제6호, pp.288-297, 2014.
- K. W. Lee, S. B. Kim, J. H. Lee, S. J. Lee, J. W. Ri, and J. G. Park, "The effect of early neuromuscular electrical stimulation therapy in acute/subacute ischemic stroke patients with Dysphagia," Ann Rehabil Med, Vol.38, No.2, pp.153-159, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2014.38.2.153
- 전중선, 전세일, 김동아, 배하석, "뇌졸중 환자에 서 연하곤란의 임상적 고찰(I)," 대한재활의학회지, 제20권, 제2호, pp.305-311, 1996.
- A. C. Silva, S. R. C. Fabio, and R. O. Dantas, "A scintigraphic study of oral, pharyngeal, and esophageal transit in patients with stroke," Dysphagia, Vol.23, No.2, pp.165-171, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-007-9117-0
- 김희정, 강은희, 이종호, 김오연, "포스터 발표 자유연제 3: 신경계질환자의 영양상태와 경장영양공급방식에 따른 영양개선 효과," 한국정맥경장영양학회 학술발표논문집, 단일호, pp.192-193, 2004.
- G. Mann, G. J. Hankey, and D. Cameron, "Swallowing disorders following acute stroke: prevalence and diagnostic accuracy," Cerebrovasc Dis, Vol.10, No.5, pp.380-386, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1159/000016094
- C. A. McHorney, J. Robbins, K. Lomax, J. C. Rosenbek, K. Chignell, A. E. Kramer, and D. Earl Bricker, "The SWAL-QOL and SWAL-CARE outcomes tool for oropharyngeal dysphagia in adults:III Documentation of reliability and validity," Dysphagia, Vol.17, No.2, pp.97-114, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-001-0109-1
- B. Gustafsson and L. Tibbling, "Dysphagia, an unrecognized handicap," Dysphagia, Vol.6, No.4, pp.193-199, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02493525
- G. D. Eslick and N. J. Talley, "Dysphagia: epidemiology, risk factors and impact on quality of life-a population-based study," Alimentary pharmacology and therapeutics, Vol.27, No.10, pp.971-979, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2008.03664.x
- R. F. Fregosi and C. L. Ludlow, "Activation of upper airway muscles during breathing and swallowing," Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol.116, No.3, pp.291-301, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00670.2013
- T. Ono, K. Hori, and T. Nokubi, "Pattern of tongue pressure on hard palate during swallowing," Dysphagia, Vol.19, No.4, pp.259-264, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-004-0010-9
- E. M. Yeates, S. M. Molfenter, and C. M. Steele, "Improvements in tongue strength and pressure-generation precision following a tongue-pressure training protocol in older individuals with dysphagia: three case report," Clinical interventions in aging, Vol.3, No.4, p.735, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S3825
- O. Ekberg, S. Hamdy, V. Woisard, A. Wuttge-Hannig, and P. Ortega, "Social and psychological burden of dysphagia: its impact on diagnosis and treatment," Dysphagia, Vol.17, No.2, pp.139-146, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-001-0113-5
- H. M. Clark and N. P. Solomon, "Age and sex differences in orofacial strength," Dysphagia, Vol.27, No.1, pp.2-9, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-011-9328-2
- C. Ertekin, "Voluntary versus spontaneous swallowing in man," Dysphagia, Vol.26, No.2, pp.183-192, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-010-9319-8
- K. Konaka, J. Kondo, N. Hirota, K. Tamine, K. Hori, T. Ono, and H. Naritomi, "Relationship between tongue pressure and dysphagia in stroke patients," European neurology, Vol.64, No.2, pp.101-107, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1159/000315140
- S. R. Youmans, G. L. Youmans, and J. A. Stierwalt, "Differences in tongue strength across age and gender: is there a diminished strength reserve?," Dysphagia, Vol.24, No.1, pp.57-65, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-008-9171-2
- J. Robbins, S. A. Kays, R. E. Gangnon, J. A. Hind, A. L. Hewitt, L. R. Gentry, and A. J. Taylor, "The effects of lingual exercise in stroke patients with dysphagia," Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, Vol.88, No.2, pp.150-158, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.11.002
- C. M. Steele, G. L. Bailey, R. E. C. Polacco, S. F. Hori, S. M. Molfenter, M. Oshalla, and E. M. Yeates, "Outcomes of tongue-pressure strength and accuracy training for dysphagia following acquired brain injury," International journal of speech-language pathology, Vol.15, No.5, pp.492-502, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3109/17549507.2012.752864
- 송영진, 이한석, 정원미, 삼킴장애, 서울 계축문화사, 2007.
- V. Adams, B. Mathisen, S. Baines, C. Lazarus, and R. Callister, "Reliability of measurements of tongue and hand strength and endurance using the Iowa Oral Performance Instrument with healthy adults," Dysphagia, Vol.29, No.1, pp.83-95, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-013-9486-5
- J. Robbins, R. E. Gangnon, S. M. Theis, S. A. Kays, A. L. Hewitt, and J. A. Hind, "The effects of lingual exercise on swallowing in older adults," Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.53, No.9, pp.1483-1489, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2005.53467.x
- 홍덕기, 이재신, 김수경, 전병진, "라쉬분석을 이용한 뇌졸중 환자의 연하기능 검사 개발," 대한작업치료학회지, 제21권, 제4호, pp.71-90, 2013.
- 차태현, 정민예, 정보인, 이택영, "삼킴곤란자의 식이단계와 SWAL-QOL 척도를 통한 삶의 질과의 상관성," 대한작업치료학회지, 제18권, 제4호, pp.63-75, 2010.