- Volume 16 Issue 11
Mumps is an acute viral disease that affects the entire body, including inflammation of the salivary glands. Mumps is accompanied by unilateral or bilateral parotid gland swelling and pain. Mumps virus is spread to others by air, saliva, direct contact, and urine, and occurs in high-density population places such as schools, army, etc. Bilateral testicular involvement is seen in 10-60% of cases. If mumps orchitis affect post-pubertal men, approximately 50% of the infected people are said to experience severe testicular atrophy within 1-2 months as a complication. Mumps orchitis can alter the count, morphology, and motility of sperm and result in oligozoospermia and infertility caused by a rare azoospermia. When suspected of mumps orchitis, active initial symptomatic treatment can prevent infertility due to azoospermia in future adults. A case of mumps orchitis report two cases with references to the ultrasonnography and semen.
Azoospermia;Mumps;Mumps Orchitis;Mumps Virus
- V. S. Dogra, "Sonography of the scrotum," Radiology, Vol.227, pp.18-36, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2271001744
- J. S. Lee, M. R. Kim, and Y. M. Sohn, "Adverse events associated with MMR vaccination in Korea: prospect ive study using telephone surveillance method," Korean J Pediatr Infect Dis, Vol.7, pp.183-192, 2000. https://doi.org/10.14776/kjpid.2000.7.2.183
- H. D. Kang, K. Y. Lee, and S. W. Cha, "An outbreak of mumps in Taejon, Korea, 1998," Korean J Pediatr Infect Dis, Vol.11, pp.39-44, 1999.
- K. Muhlemann, "The molecular epidemiology of mumps virus," Infect Genet Evol, Vol.4, pp.215-219, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meegid.2004.02.003
- Y. M Choi, C. H Kim, J. G. Seo, Y. M. Son, S. H. Oh, and W. J. Lee, Measle, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccination: guide to vaccinations, 2nd ed., Seoul: Jungmoonsa Inc, pp.48-54, 1992.
- M. Yvonne, "Mumps," In E. B. Richard, M. K. Robert, B. J. Hal editors, Nelson textbook of pediatrics, 17th ed., Philadelphia: Saunders, pp.1035-1036, 2004.
- C. E. Hong, Pediatrics, 8th ed., Seoul: Daehan textbook Inc, pp.468-469, 2004.
- R. R. Russell and J. C. Donald, "The neurological complications of mumps," Br Med J, Vol.30, pp.27-30, 1958.
- C. M. Beard, R. C. Jr Benson, P. P. Kelalis, L. R. Elveback, and L. T. Kurland, "The incidence and outcome of mumps orchitis in Rochester, Minnesota, 1935 to 1974," Mayo Clin Proc, Vol.52, pp.3-7, 1977.
- W. A. Falk, K. Buchan, M. Dow, J. Z. Garson, E. Hill, and M. Nosal, "The epidemiology of mumps in Southern Alberta 1980-82," Am J Epidemiol, Vol.130, pp.736-749, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a115395
- M. Sigman and J. P. Jarow, "Male infertility," Campbell's urology, 8th ed., Philadelphia: Saunders, pp.1475-1510, 1992.
- V. C. Vaughna, A text and reference book for physicians medical students and health workers, Lodon: Mosby, pp.275-281, 1922.
- V. Bartak, "Sperm count, morphology and motility after unilateral mumpsorchitis," J Repord Fert, Vol.32, pp.491-494, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0320491
- B. Bjorvatn, "Mumps virus recovered from testicles by fine-needle aspiration biopsy in cases of mumps orchitis," Scand J Infect Dis, Vol.5, pp.3-5, 1973. https://doi.org/10.3109/inf.1973.5.issue-1.02
- J. P. Jarow, M. A. Espeland, and L. I. Lipshultz, "Evaluation of the azoospermic patient," J Urol., Vol.142, pp.62-65, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(17)38662-7
- S. N. Senanayake, "Mumps, A resurgent disease with protean manifestations," Med J Aust., Vol.189, pp.456-459, 2008.
- R. Casella, B. Leibundgut, K. Lehmann, and T. C. Gasser, "Mumps orchitis: Report of a mini-epidemic," J Urol, Vol.158, pp.2158-2161, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(01)68186-2
- B. A. Freeman, Mumps virus. In: Textbook of microbiology, 22th ed., Philadelphia: Saunders, pp.794-796, 1985.
- H. Choi, J. H. Bae, and S. I. Jung, "Outbreaks and Seasonal Variation of Mumps Orchitis: Report of Multicenter Data in Korea," Korean J Urogenit Tract Infect Inflamm, Vol.8, pp.43-46, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14777/kjutii.2013.8.1.43
- J. W. Lee, T. Y. Lee, and H. Y. Choi, "Change of the Testicular Volume after Mumps Orchitis," Korean J Urol, Vol.4, pp.542-547, 2007.
- V. C. Voughan, Epidemiology and public health. A text and reference book for physicians, medical students and health workers, London: Henry Kimpton, pp.275-281, 1922.
- C. M. Beard, R. C. Benson, P. P. Kelalis, L. R. Elveback, and L. T. Kurland, "The incidence and outcome of mumps orchitis in Rochester, Minnesota, 1935 to 1974," Mayo Clin Proc, Vol.52, pp.3-7, 1977.
- Korea Center for Disease Control & Prevention, 2004 Communicable diseases statistical yearbook, Seoul: Korea.
- S. Mark and P. J. Jonathan, Male infertility. In:Patrick CW, editor Campbell's urology, 8th ed., Philadelphia: Saunders, p.1508, 2002.
- M. Masarani, H. Wazait, and M. Dinneen, "Mumps orchitis," J R Soc Med, Vol.99, pp.573-575, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1258/jrsm.99.11.573
- N. Nixon and D. B. Lewis, "Mumps orchitis: surgical treatment," J Urol, Vol.56, pp.554-560, 1946. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(17)69843-4
- J. A. Andrada, F. Walde, J. C. Hoschoian, E. Comini, and E. Mancini, "Immunological studies in patients with mumps orchitis," Andrologia, Vol.9, pp.207-215, 1977.
- R. A. Burhans, "Treatment of orchitis of mumps," J Urol, Vol.54, pp.547-548, 1945. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(17)70111-5
- C. O. Yeniyol, S. Sorguc, S. Minareci, and A. R. Ayder, "Role of interferon-alpha-2B in prevention of testicular atrophy with unilateral mumps orchitis," Urology, Vol.55, pp.931-933, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(00)00491-X
- Elisabeth Carlsen, Anne-Grethe Andersen, Louise Buchreitz, Niels JOrgensen, Oystein Magnus, Valentinas Matulevicuus, Ingrid Nermoen, JOrgen Holm Petersen, Margus Punab, Jyrki Suominen, Birute Zilaitiene, and Aleksander Giwercman, "Inter-observer variation in the results of the clinical andrological examination including estimation of testicular size," Int J Androl, Vol.23, pp.248-253, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2605.2000.00240.x
- L. I. Lipshultz and J. N. Corriere, "Progressive testicular atrophy in the varicocele patient," J Urol, Vol.117, pp.175-176, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(17)58387-1
- K. H. Chung, H. Choi, and S. W. Kim, "Penile and testicular sizes of Korean children," Korean J Urol, Vol.28, pp.255-258, 1987.
- K. W. Lee, J. H. Ku, and N. K. Lee, "Epidemiologic study about testicular volume performed in young men in Taejeon city and Chung-nam area," Korean J Urol, Vol.44, pp.49-53, 2003.
- K. R. Stratton, C. J. Howe, and R. B. Johnston, "Adverse Events Associated with Childhood Vaccines: Evidence Bearing on Causality," pp.161-163, 1994.
- A. Shulman, B. Shohat, D. Gillis, H. Yavetz, Z. T. Homonnai, and G. Paz, "Mumps orchitis among soldiers: frequency, effect on sperm quality, and sperm antibodies," Fertil Steril, Vol.57, pp.1344-1346, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(16)55099-7
- A. Hviid, S. Rubin, and K. Muhlemann, "Mumps," Lancet, Vol.371, pp.32-44, 2008.
- S. M. Zaki1 and R. S. Kawther, "The effect of infection by mumps after puberty on the seminal fluid parameters and the production of antibodies against sperm in infertility males in erbil city, Iraq," International J of Advanced Research, Vol.4, 2016.
- Marcello Cocuzza, Conrado Alvarenga, and Rodrigo Pagani, "The epidemiology and etiology of azoospermia," Clinics, Vol.68, pp.15-26, 2013. https://doi.org/10.6061/clinics/2013(Sup01)03
- D. A. Adamopoulos, D. M. Lawrence, P. Vassilopoulos, P. A. Contoyiannis, and G. I. Swyer, "Pituitary-testicular interrelationships in mumps orchitis and other viral infections," Br Med J, Vol.1, pp.1177-1780, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.1.6121.1177
- E. M. Mcares, "Nonspecific infections of the genitourinary tract," In E. A. Tanagho and J. W. McAninch editors, Smith's general urology, 14th ed., East Norwalk: Appleton & Lange, pp.237-238, 1995.
- Y. H. Kim, "A case of azoospermia following blateral mumps orcjitis," J. soonchunhyang Med. Coll, Vol.10, pp.1377-1380, 2004.
- J. Lepides, K. R. Herwig, E. C. Anderson, R. H. Lovegrove, R. J. Correa, and J. B. Sloan, "Oxyphenbutazone therapy for mumps orchitis, acute epididymitis and osteitis pubis," J Urol, Vol.98, pp.528-530, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(17)62928-8
- http://www.hira.or.kr/main.do] 건강심사평가원 2016년 자료