- Volume 16 Issue 11
Discussion of facial image of the movie starts is recognized as an art movie that started from silent film period. Critical discussions on the facial image initiated with the emergence of 'close-up' are performed in the context to claim the superiority of close-up format. Therefore, the trend of critical discussion on the facial image differs from two perspectives to perceive close-up in this era. The first perspective is to privilege both face and close-up since close-up is recognized as the unique tool to realize the face considering close-up as the independent body to have new aesthetic feasibility of the movie. The second perspective is to consider close-up as one of the plots in the movie language to complete its narration. In this case, it is perceived as just a short, which has no differentiation from the others, as long as the facial image does not interfere the completeness of the narration, because the characteristics of close-up to highlight the subject more than the other short is not recognized as the unique form to complete the movie, and because it has the meaning only when the subject and the format aim to maintain the completeness of the narration.
Silent Movie;Close-up;Face;Image;Bela Balazs;Montage
Supported by : 중앙대학교
- 정종화, 자료로 본 한국영화사1 1905-1954, 열화당, pp.15-25, 1997.
- 니콜 아브릴 지음, 강주헌 옮김, 얼굴의 역사, 작가정신, 2001.
- 게오르그 짐멜, 김덕영 옮김, 짐멜의 모더니티 읽기, 새물결, pp.108-109, 2005.
- 자크 오몽, 김호영 옮김, 영화 속의 얼굴, 마음산책, p.165, 2006.
- 벨라 발라즈, 이형식 옮김, 영화의 이론, 동문선, p.73, 2003.
- 르네 프레달, 김희균 옮김, 세계영화 100년사, 이론과 실천, p.110, 1999.
- 유지나, "몸-얼굴-공간의 연구: 잔다르크의 수난을 중심으로," 영화연구, 제46호, 2010.
- Mary ann Doane, "Scale and Detail in the Cinema," A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies, Vol.14, p.90, 2003.
- 존힐, 마펠라 외, 안정효, 최세민 옮김, 세계영화연구, 현암사, p.47, 2004.
- 롤랑 바르트, 정헌 옮김, 신화론, 현대미학사, p.161, 1995.
- Walter March, In The Blink of an Eye: Aperspective on Film Editing, Silman-James Press, p.88, 2011.