- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Overseas Koreans' Return Visit and Transnational Identity Negotiation: A Case Study of the Korean National Sports Festival
재외동포의 모국방문 경험과 초국가주의적 정체성 교섭: 전국체육대회 사례를 중심으로
- Chang, Ik-Young (Korea National Sport University)
- 장익영 (한국체육대학교)
- Received : 2016.08.25
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
This research aims to examine the relationship between the overseas Koreans' return visit for the participation in the National Sports Festival(NSF) and transnational identity negotiation. The subjects for this study were 378 overseas Koreans who took part in the 96th NSF in 2015. The results are as follows; First, the higher the motivation for socializing with others, maintaining a national identity and self-realization, the more the positive experience in the NSF. However, the higher the motivation for releasing stress and helping business, the more the negative experience they have in the NSF. Second, while the higher the motivation for releasing stress and helping business, the stronger the identity with settlement. However, the higher the motivation for maintaining a national identity, the stronger the identity with origin. Third, while the more the negative experience in the NSF, the stronger the identity with settlement. However, the less the negative experience in the NSF, the stronger the identity with origin.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- P. Kivisto, & T. Faist, "Beyond a border: The causes and consequences of contemporary immigration." CA: Pine Forge Press, 2010.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, "A summary of overseas Koreans." Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2015.
- I. Y. Chang, M. Sam, & S. Jackson, "Transnationalism, return visits and identity negotiation: South Korean-New Zealanders and Korean National Sport Festival." International Review for the Sociology of Sport. DOI:10.1177/1012690215589723, 2015.
- I. Y. Chang, "Exploring the Possibility of Leisure Sports as a Consideration in the Process of Lifestyle Migration Decision Making: A Case of South Korean Immigrants in New Zealand." Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport, Vol.28, No.1, pp:89-107, 2015. https://doi.org/10.22173/jksss.2015.28.1.89
- A. Babacan, S. Singh, "Migration, belonging and the nation state." UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010.
- S. Castles, & M. J. Millers, "The age of migration: International population movements in the modern world." NY: Palgrave-Macmillan and Guilford Books, 2003.
- D. S. Massey, J. Arango, G. Hugo, A. Kouaouci, A. Pellegrino, & J. E. Taylor, "Theories of international migration: A review and appraisal." Population and Development Review, Vol.19, No.3, pp.431-466, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/2938462
- R. Alba, & V. Nee, "Rethinking assimilation theory for a new era of immigration." International Migration Review, Vol.31, No.4, pp.826-874, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/2547416
- M. M. Gordon, "Assimilation and American life: The role of race, religion, and national origins." New York: Oxford University Press, 1964.
- L. Baldassar, "Visits home: Migration experiences between Italy and Australia." Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2001.
- T. Faist, M. Fauser, & E. Reisenauer, "Transnational migration." Cambridge: Polity Press, 2013.
- R. Giulianotti, & R. Robertson, "Globalization and sport." Oxford: Blackwell, 2007.
- J. Maguire, "Globalization, sport and national identity." Sport in Society, Vol.14, No.7-8, pp.978-993, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/17430437.2011.603553
- J. Hoberman, "Sport and political ideology." Austin: University of Texas Press, 1984.
- H. S. Yi, "Competition between nationalism and transnationalism in the discourse on a naturalized sport celebrity, Victore Ahn." Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport, Vol.28, No.1, pp.153-182, 2015. https://doi.org/10.22173/jksss.2015.28.1.153
- M. Kim, "A study on the improvement of the national sports festival." Seoul: Korea Institute of sport Science, 2010.
- E. Gomez, "The ethnicity and public recreation participation (EPRP) model: An assessment of unidimensional and overall fit." Leisure Sciences, Vol.28, pp.245-265, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400600598087
- S. A. Baik, "An empirical analysis of the relationship between the acculturation and sport participation of foreign migrant workers." Ph.D dissertation, Hanyang University, 2012.
- T. Taylor, & A. Doherty, "Adolescent sport, recreation and physical education: Experiences of recent arrivals to Canada." Sport, Education and Society, Vol.10, No.2, pp.211-238, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/13573320500111770
- R. B. Kline, "Principles and practice of structural equation modeling." New York: Guilford Press, 2005.
- http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2015/10/18/200000000AKR20151018024500062.HTML [online] [cited 2016.8.7.]
- S. Fairley, & S. Gammon, "Something lived, something learned: Nostalgia''s expanding role in sport tourism." Sport in Society, Vol.8, No.2, pp.182-197, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/17430430500102002
- J. Joseph, "Culture, community, consciousness: The Caribbean sporting diaspora." International Review for the Sociology of Sport, Vol.49, No.6, pp.669-687, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1177/1012690212465735
- Deok-Man Kim, "Revitalization small businesses of the overseas exchange through the convergence of private network (Focusing on Laos in the Indochina Peninsula)", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 31-36, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.2.031
- I-O. Jeon, & M-S. Kang, "value of the property on the impact of the Perceived value of accommodation on tourism satisfaction." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.11, No.10, pp.79-94, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.10.079
- H-Y Jang, H-J. Park, & S-H. Choe, "Cultural Tourism Product Development Research of Muju Taekwondo Institute." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.2, pp.351-357, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.351
- Young-Ae Jung, "A Study on the Education Model for Information Literacy Improvement of Multi-cultural Family Children", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 15-20, 2011.
- S-Y. Han, S-J. Park, & H-J. Lee, "The study on the structural relations among the visitor satisfaction, it's antecedents and the modification of images of Korea perceived by Chinese and Russian Tourists after their visits to Korea." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.1, pp.115-125, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.115