- Volume 40 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Fatigue Life Analysis and Prediction of 316L Stainless Steel Under Low Cycle Fatigue Loading
저사이클 피로하중을 받는 316L 스테인리스강의 피로수명 분석 및 예측
- Oh, Hyeong (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Myung, NohJun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Choi, Nak-Sam (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2016.06.01
- Accepted : 2016.09.11
- Published : 2016.12.01
In this study, a strain-controlled fatigue test of widely-used 316L stainless steel with excellent corrosion resistance and mechanical properties was conducted, in order to assess its fatigue life. Low cycle fatigue behaviors were analyzed at room temperature, as a function of the strain amplitude and strain ratio. The material was hardened during the initial few cycles, and then was softened during the long post period, until failure occurred. The fatigue life decreased with increasing strain amplitude. Masing behavior in the hysteresis loop was shown under the low strain amplitude, whereas the high strain amplitude caused non-Masing behavior and reduced the mean stress. Low cycle fatigue life prediction based on the cyclic plastic energy dissipation theory, considering Masing and non-Masing effects, showed a good correlation with the experimental results.
Low Cycle Fatigue;Mean Stress;Stress Relaxation;Strain Energy Density
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Srinivasan, V. S., Valsan, M., Sandhya, R., Bhanu Sankara Rao, K., Mannan, S. L. and Sastry, D. H., 1999, "High Temperature Time-dependent Low Cycle Fatigue Behaviour of a Type 316L(N) Stainless Steel," Int. J. Fatigue, Vol. 21, pp. 11-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(98)00052-8
- Valsan, M., Nagesha, A., Bhanu Sankara Rao, K. and Mannan, S. L., 2000, "A Comparative Evaluation of Low Cycle Fatigue and Creep-fatigue Interaction Behaviour of 316L(N) SS, Weld Metal and 316L(N)/316 Weld Joint at 873K," Trans Indian Inst. Metals, 53, pp. 263-271.
- Mannan, S. L. and Valsan, M., 2006, "High-temperature Low Cycle Fatigue, Creep-fatigue and Thermomechanical Fatigue of Steels and Their Welds," Int. J. Mech. Sci, 48, pp. 160-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2005.08.004
- Coffin, L. F., 1954, "A Study of the Effects of Cyclic Thermal Stress on a Ductile Metal," Trans ASME, 76, pp. 931-950.
- Manson, S. S., 1953, "Behavior of Materials under Conditions of Thermal Stress," Michigan: Heat Transfer Symposium, University of Michigan Engineering Research Institute.
- Halford, G. R., 1966, "The Energy Required for Fatigue," J Mater, 1(1), pp. 3-18.
- Morrow, J., 1965, "Cyclic Plastic Strain Energy and Fatigue of Metals," ASTM STP 378, pp. 45-84.
- Morrow, J., 1968, "Fatigue Design Handbook, Advances in Engineering," Society of Automotive Engineers. Warrendale. Pa, Vol. 4, Sec. 3. 2, pp. 21-29.
- Smith, R. N., Watson, P. and Topper, T. H., 1970, "A Stress-strain Function for the Fatigue of Metal," J Mater, 5(4), pp. 767-78.
- Lorenzo, F. and Laird, C., 1984, "A New Approach to Predicting Fatigue Life Behavior under the Action of Mean Stresses," Mater. Sci. Eng, 62, pp. 205-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-5416(84)90223-4
- Kwofie, S., 2001, "An Exponential Stress Function for Predicting Fatigue Strength and Life due to Mean Stresses," Int J Fatigue, Vol. 23, No. 9, pp. 829-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(01)00044-5
- Koh, S. K., 2002, "Fatigue Damage Evaluation of a High Pressure Tube Steel using Cyclic Strain Energy Density," J Pressure Vessel Technol, 79, pp. 791-798. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(02)00135-7
- Ye, D., Matsuoka, S., Nagashima, N. and Suzuki, N., 2006, "The Low Cycle Fatigue, Deformation and Final Fracture of an Austenitic Stainless Steel," Mater. Sci. Eng, A. 415, pp. 104-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2005.09.081
- Sivaprasad, S., Paul, S. K., Das, A., Narasiah, N. and Tarafder, S., 2010, "Cyclic Plastic Behaviour of Primary Heat Transport Piping Materials: Influence of Loading Schemes on Hysteresis Loop," Mater. Sci. Eng, A. 527, pp. 6858-6869. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2010.07.041
- Hong, S. G., Yoon, S. S. and Lee, S. B., 2004, "The Influence of Temperature on Low Cycle Fatigue Behavior of Prior Cold Worked 316L Stainless Steel (1) - Monotonic and Cyclic Behavior -," Trans.Korea Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 333-342. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.4.333
- Ellyin, F., 1985, "Effect of Tensile-Mean-Strain on Plastic Strain Energy and Cyclic Response," J. Eng. Mater. Techno, Vol. 107(2), pp. 119-125. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3225786
- Wittke, H., Olfe, J. and Rie, K. T., 1997, "Description of Stress-strain Hysteresis Loops with a Simple Approach," Int. J. Fatigue, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 141-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(96)00059-X
- Jhansale, H. R. and Topper, T. H., 1973, "Engineering Analysis of the Inelastic Stress Response of a Structural Metal Under Variable Cyclic Strains," ASTM STP-519, pp. 246-270.
- Sachs, G., Gerberich, W. W., Weiss, V. and Latorre, J. V., 1960, "Low-cycle Fatigue of Pressure Vessel Materials," ASTM, Vol. 60, pp. 512-529.
- Mughrabi, H. and Christ, H. J., 1997, "Cyclic Deformation and Fatigue of Selected Ferritic and Austenitic Steels: Specific Aspects," ISIJ Int, 37, pp. 1154-1169. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.37.1154
- Murakami, Y., 2002, "Metal Fatigue: Effects of Small Defects and Nonmetallic Inclusions," Elsevier, pp. 185-192.