- Volume 40 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Hybrid Composites Reinforced with Carbon Nanotubes and Micrometer-Sized Silica Particles
탄소나노튜브 및 실리카 입자로 강화된 하이브리드 복합재료의 기계적, 전기적 물성에 관한 연구
- Oh, Yun (Division of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chonbuk Nat'l Univ.) ;
- You, Byeong Il (Division of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chonbuk Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Ahn, Ji Ho (Division of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chonbuk Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Gyo Woo (Division of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chonbuk Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2016.06.09
- Accepted : 2016.09.01
- Published : 2016.12.01
In this study, to enhance the electrical insulation of composite specimens in addition to the improved mechanical properties, the epoxy composite were reinforced with carbon nanotubes and silica particles. Tensile strength, Young's modulus, dynamic mechanical behavior, and electrical resistivity of the specimens were measured with varied contents of the two fillers. The mechanical and electrical properties were discussed, and the experimental results related to the mechanical properties of the specimens were compared with those from several micromechanics models. The hybrid composites specimens with 0.6 wt％ of carbon nanotubes and 50 wt％ of silica particles showed improved mechanical properties, with increase in tensile strength and Young's modulus up to 11％ and 35％, respectively, with respect to those of the baseline specimen. The electrical conductivity of the composite specimens with carbon nanotubes filler also improved. Further, the electrical insulation of the hybrid composites specimens with the two fillers improved in addition to the improvement in mechanical properties.
Hybrid Composites;Epoxy;Carbon Nanotubes;Silica Particles;Tensile Strength;Young's Modulus;Dynamic Mechanical Analysis;Electrical Resistivity;Electrical Conductivity;Micromechanics Models
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 한국산업기술평가원
- Wang, J. G., Fang, Z. P., Gu, A. J., Xu, L. H. and Liu, F., 2010, "Effects of Amino-functionalization of Multi-wall Carbon Nanotubes on Dispersion with Epoxy Resin Matrix," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 48, pp. 592-603.
- Kim, S., Kim, J. K., Lee, S. H., Park, S. J. and Kang, K. H., 2006, "Thermophysical Properties of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube-reinforced Polypropylene Composites," International Journal of Thermophysics, Vol. 27, pp. 152-160. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10765-006-0043-4
- Imai, T., Sawa, F., Ozaki, T., Shimizu, T., Kido, R., Kozano, M. and Tanaka, T., 2006, "Influence of Temperature on Mechanical and Insulation Properties of Epoxy-layered Silicate Nanocomposite," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electronical Insulation, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 445-452. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2006.1624291
- Xu, Y., Chung, D. D. L. and Mroz, C., 2001, "Thermally Conducting Aluminum Nitride Polymer-Matrix Composites," Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 32, pp. 1749-1757. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-835X(01)00023-9
Xia, J., Li, J., Zhang, G., Zeng, X., Niu, F., Yang, H., Sun, R. and Wong, C. P., 2016, "Highly Mechanical Strength and Thermally Conductive Bismaleimide-triazine Composites Reinforced by
$Al_2O_3$@polyimide Hybrid Fiber," Composites: Part A, Vol. 80, pp. 21-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2015.09.009
Zeng, X., Yu, S., Sun, R. and Xu, J. B., 2015, "Mechanical Reinforcement While Remaining Electrical Insulation of Glass Fibre/polymer Composites using Core-shell CNT@
$SiO_2$Hybrids as Fillers," Composites: Part A, Vol. 73, pp. 260-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2015.03.015
- Cui, W., Du, F., Zhao, J., Zhang, W., Yang, Y., Xie, X. and Mai, Y. W., 2011, "Improving Thermal Conductivity While Retaining High Electrical Resistivity of Epoxy Composites by Incorporating Silica-coated Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes," Carbon, Vol. 49, pp. 495-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2010.09.047
- Kerner, E. H., 1956, "The Elastic and Thermo-elastic Properties of Composite Media," Proceeding of the Physical Society Section B, Vol. 69, pp. 808-813.
- Wakashima, K. and Tsukamoto, H., 1991, "Mean-field Micromechanics Model and its Application to the Analysis of Thermomechanical Behaviour of Composite Materials," Materials Science Engineering: A, Vol. 146, pp. 291-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-5093(91)90284-T
- Eshelby, J. D., 1957, "The Determination of the Elastic Field of an Ellipsoidal Inclusion, and Related Problems," Proceeding of the Royal Society A, Vol. 241, No. 1226.
- Mori, T. and Tanaka, K., 1973, "Average Stress in Matrix and Average Elastic Energy of Materials," Acta Metallurgica, Vol. 21, pp. 571-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-6160(73)90064-3
- Park, S. J., Lee, E. J. and Lee, J. R., 2005, "A Study on Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Vapor Grown Carbon Nanofibers-Reinforced Epoxy Matrix Composites," Polymer (Korea), Vol. 29, pp. 481-485.
- Cousin, P. and Smith, P., 1994, "Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Sulfonated Polystyrene/Alumina Composites," Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol. 32, pp. 459-468. https://doi.org/10.1002/polb.1994.090320307
- Seo, M. K., Lee, J. R. and Park, S. J., 2005, "Crystallization Kinetics and Interfacial Behaviors of Polypropylene Composites Reinforced with Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 404, pp. 79-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2005.05.065
- Chung, D. D. L., 2001, "Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Effectiveness of Carbon Materials," Carbon, Vol. 39, pp. 279-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(00)00184-6
- Chung, D. D. L., 2001, "Comparison of Submicron-Diameter Carbon Filaments and Conventional Carbon Fibers as Fillers in Composite Materials," Carbon, Vol. 39, pp. 1119-1125. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(00)00314-6
Sim, L. C., Ramanan, S. R., Ismail, H., Seetharamu, K. N. and Goh, T. J., 2005, "Thermal Characterization of
$Al_2O_3$and ZnO Reinforced Silicone Rubber as Thermal Pads for Heat Dissipation Purposes," Thermochimica Acta, Vol. 430, pp. 155-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tca.2004.12.024