- Volume 40 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Design and Control of Hybrid a Powered Wheelchair for the Elderly
고령자를 위한 하이브리드형 전동 휠체어의 설계 및 제어
- Yoon, Tae-Su (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Ann, Sung-Jo (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Sang-Min (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Han, Young-Bin (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jung-Yup (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- 윤태수 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 안성조 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 김상민 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 한영빈 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 김정엽 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과)
- Received : 2016.04.07
- Accepted : 2016.09.22
- Published : 2016.12.01
This paper describes the development of a hybrid-powered wheelchair (HPW) for the elderly. The proposed HPW has novel mechanical and control features compared with conventional powered wheelchairs. An ergonomic back-braking mechanism was designed in order to stop the wheels easily. In terms of control features, the HPW remarkably reduces the muscle power required by combining various assistive functions, such as wheel torque assistance, friction/inertia compensation, gravity compensation, and the one-hand driving algorithm. For wheel torque assistance, strain gauges were attached to the hand-rim in order to measure the wheel torque applied by a human. Gyroscopes and an accelerometer were attached to the wheel and chair respectively for friction and inertia compensation. An inclinometer was attached for gravity compensation and the one-hand driving algorithm was included for patients who can only use one hand. The one-hand driving algorithm controls the angular velocity of the uncontrolled wheel by using a gyroscope and pressure sensors attached to the bottom of the seat. Finally, the performance of the proposed motion assisted algorithm was verified through various experiments.
Hybrid Powered Wheelchair;The Elderly;Brake Mechanism;Control Algorithm
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- Cooper, R. A., Corfman, T. A., Fitzgerald, S. G., Boninger, M. L., Spaeth, D. M., Ammer, W. and Arva, J., 2002, "Performance Assessment of a Pushrim-Activated Power-assisted Wheelchair Control System," IEEE Trans. Control Sys. Technol., Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 121-126. https://doi.org/10.1109/87.974345
- Yuusuke, O., Oh, S. H. and Yoichi, H., 2010, "A New Control Method for Power-assisted Wheelchair Based on the Surface Myoelectric Signal," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 9, pp. 3191-3196.
- Ou, C. C. and Chen, T. C., 2012, "Power-assisted Wheelchair Design Based on a Lyapunov Torque Observer," Proc. of ICIC international, Vol. 8, No. 12, pp. 8089-8102.
- Kong, J. S. and Baek, S. Y., 2011, "Design of the Power Assist Controller for the In-wheel Type Smart Wheelchair," Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 80-85. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2011.21.1.80
- Seo, J. H., Hang, S. H., Kim, B. S., Kim, J. M. and Kang, M. S., 2012, "Load Selectable Power Assisted Wheelchair for Traveling and Rehabilitation," KSPE 2012 fall conference, pp. 185-186.
- Heo, Y., Seo, K. A., Hong, E. P. and Moon, M.S., 2013, "Torsion Sensor Based Power Assisted Wheelchair Development," KSPE 2013 fall conference, pp. 651-652.
- Jung, K. T., Kim, H. S., Lee, N. H., Jun, K. J., Won, B. H. and Hong, J.S., 2010, "Anthropometric Evaluation and Design of Wheelchair," Journal of The Ergonomics Society of Korea 2010 spring conference, pp. 128-131.
- Kong, J. Y., Jeong, D. H. and Kwon, H. C., 2002 "The Effects of Wheelchair Propulsion Speed Changes on the Shoulder Impingement Syndrome," Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 69-83.