- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
'Others' as Mimesis and 'Multiculturalism' as Diegesis: Focus on the Visual Discourses of Migrants Represented on Terrestrial Broadcasting News
미메시스로서의 '타자'와 디에게시스로서의 '다문화' : 지상파 방송 뉴스에 재현된 이주민들의 영상 담론 분석
- Received : 2015.07.22
- Accepted : 2015.09.25
- Published : 2016.01.28
The starting point of this study is an examination of the vital role of terrestrial broadcasting in Korean society, where ethnic minorities have increasingly become visible. Korean terrestrial broadcasters' mandate emphasises the broadcaster's responsibility to represent and reflect the range of public opinion and experiences beyond class, age, ethnicity and ideological orientation. The main purpose of this study is to visually examine the means through which terrestrial broadcasting generates discourses of We-ness and Otherness at times of change in the Korean society. The study focuses on prime-time broadcasting news programmes' visual representations of migrants and ethnic minorities.
Television News;Terrestrial Broadcasting;Cultural Diversity;Representation;Migrant
- A. Appadurai, Fear of Small Numbers, Durham: Duke University Press, 2006.
- J. Berger, Ways of seeing, London: Penguin Books, 2008.
- P. Berger and T. Luckman, The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge, New York: Doubleday, 1966
- J. Bignell, An Introduction to Television Studies, London: Routledge, 2004.
- P. Bourdieu, Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste, MA: Harvard University Press, 1984.
- 한국언론진흥재단, 2014 언론수용자 의식조사, 서울: 한국언론진흥재단, 2014.
- Y. Cha, Korean Migration Law, Seoul: Beobmunsa, 2015.
- L. Chouliaraki, The Spectatorship of Suffering, London: Sage, 2006.
- J. Corner, Critical Ideas in Television Studies, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- N. Couldry, Media, Symbolic Power and the Limits of Bourdieu's Field Theory, London: Media@LSE Electronic Working Papers, 2003.
- J. Curran, Media and Power, London: Routledge, 2002.
- J. Devitt, Framing Gender on the Campaign Trail: Women's Executive Leadership and the Press, Washington, D.C.: The Women's Leadership, 1999.
- J. Fiske, Television Culture, London: Routledge, 1987.
- D. Gauntlett and A. Hill, TV Living, London: Routledge, 1999.
- B. Gunter and P. Winstone, Television 1992: The Public's view, Luton: University of Luton Press, 1993.
- S. Hall, "The Spectacle of the Others," In S. Hall (ed.) Representation: Culture Representations and Signifying Practices, London: Sage, pp.223-279, 1997.
- K. Halliday, An Introduction to Functional Grammar, London: Edward Arnold, 1985.
- D. Haraway, Simians, Cyborgs and Women, London: Free Assoiciation Books, 1991.
- J. Harrison, Terrestrial TV News in Britain:The Culture of Production, Manchester:Manchester University Press, 2000.
- J. Hartley, Understanding News, London: Routledge, 1982.
- J. Joo, "Representation of Others in TV Contents: Focusing on the KBS News 9," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.8, pp.40-49, 2014.
- J. Joo, "The discursive construction of discrimination: The representation of migrants in the Korean public service broadcasting news," Asian and Pacific Migration Journal, Vol.24, No.2, pp.213-231, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0117196815579959
- P. Kolsto, "The Narcissism of Minor Differences - theory: Can it explain ethnic conflict?," FILOZOFIJA I DRUSTVO, Vol.2, pp.153-171, 2007.
- KOSIS, Korea Statistical Information Service: Internal migration 2014, Available at: http://kosis.kr/eng/search/search01_List.jsp, 2014.
- G. Kress and T. van Leeuwen, Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design, London: Routledge, 2006.
- T. Rantanen, The Media and Globalization, London: Sage, 2005.
- G. Rose, Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials, London: Sage, 2001.
- K. Ross, "Television in Black and White: Ethnic Stereotypes and Popular Television," Ethnic Relations, Vol.19, Warwick: Centre for Research in Ethnic Relations, 1992.
- R. Silverstone, Television and Everyday Life, London: Routledge, 1994.
- R. Silverstone, Why Study the Media, London:Sage, 1999.
- R. Silverstone, Media and Morality, Cambridge:Polity, 2007.
- M. Sturken and L. Cartwright, Practices of Looking, London: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- P. Taylor, War and the Media: Propaganda and Persuasion in the Gulf War, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1992.
- J. Thompson, The Media and Modernity: A Social Theory of the Media, Cambridge: Polity, 1995.
- T. van Dijk, News As Discourse, New Jersey:Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1988.
- T. van Dijk, "New(s) Racism: A Discourse Analytical Approach," In S. Cottle (ed.), Ethnic Minorities and the Media, Berkshire: Open University Press, 2000.
- R. Wodak, R. Cillia, M. Reisigl, and K. Liebhart, The Discursive Construction of National Identity, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1999.
- H. Zettle, Television Production Handbook, Belmont: Wadsworth Publishing, 2005.
- K. Robertson, Globalization: Social Theory and Global Culture, London: Sage, 1992.
- S. Spencer, Race and Ethnicity: Culture, identity and representation, New York: Routledge, 2014.
Supported by : 한동대학교