- Volume 32 Issue 1
The conventional braced system is generally accepted as the lateral load resisting system for steel structures due to efficient story drift control and economic feasibility. But lateral stiffness of the structure decreases when buckling happens to the brace in compression, so that it results in unstable structure with unstable hysteresis behavior through strength deterioration. Buckling restrained brace(BRB) system, in which steel core is confined by mortar/concrete-filled tube, represents stable behavior in the post-yield range because the core's buckling is restrained. So, seismic performance of BRB is much better than that of conventional braced system in point of energy absorption capacity, and it is applied the most in high seismicity regions as damper element. In this study, we examined a few of weaknesses of general-shaped BRB and improved them, so that suggested new shape of BRB. It is made up of two steel restraining elements with non-filled material and the steel core. The new shapes of BRB were tested according to AISC(2010) and evaluated seismic performances and hysteresis characteristics.
- AISC (2010). Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL.
- AISC/SEAOC (2001). Recommended Provisions for Buckling-Rest rained Braced Frames.
- Chen, C. C. & Lu, L. W. (1990). Development and experimental investigation of a ductile CBF system. Proc. 4th NCEE, Palm Springs, CA., Vol. 2, 575-584.
- Chen, C. C., Chen, S. Y., & Liaw, J. J. (2001). Application of low yield strength steel on controlled plastification ductile concentrically braced frames, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 28, 823-836. https://doi.org/10.1139/l01-044
- Clark, P., Aiken, I., Kasai, K., Ko, E., & Kimura, I. (1999). Design procedures for buildings incorporating hysteretic damping devices, Proc. 69th Annual Convention of SEAOC, Sacramento, CA.
- Hasegawa, H., Takeuchi, T., Nakata, Y., Iwata, M., Yamada, S., & Akiyama, H. (1999). Experimental study on dynamic behavior of unbonded braces, AIJ J. Technol. Des., 9:103-106.
- Inoue, K., Sawaisumi, S., & Higashibata, Y. (2001). Stiffening requirements for unbonded braces encased in concrete panels, Journal of Structural Engineering, 127(6), 712-719. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:6(712)
- Iwata, M., Kato, T., & Wada, A. (2000). Buckling-restrained braces as hysteretic dampers, Proc. STESSA, Quebec, PQ, 33-38.
- Lopez, W. A., Gwie, D. S., Saunders, M., & Lauck, T. W. (2002). Lessons learned from large-scale tests of unbonded braced frame subassemblage, Proc. 71st Annual Convention of SEAOC, Sacramento, CA, 171-183.
- Merritt, S., Uang, C. M., & Benzoni, G. (2003). Subassembl age testing of star seismic buckling restrained braces, Report No. TR-2003/04, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA.
- Sabelli, R. (2001). Research on improving the design and analysis of earthquake-resistant steel-braced frames, The 2000 NEHRP Professional Fellowship Report, EERI, Oakland, CA.
- Sabelli, R., Mahin, S. A., & Chang, C. (2003). Seismic demand s on steel braced-frame buildings with buckling-restrained braces, Engineering Structures, 25, 655-666. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00175-X
- Sabelli, R. & Lopez, S. E. (2004). Design of buckling-restrain ed braced frames, North American Steel Construction Conference.
- Tsai, K. C. & Lai, J. W. (2002). A study of buckling restrained seismic braced frame, Structural Engineering, 17(2), 3-32.
- Tsai, K. C., Hwang, Y. C., Weng, C. S., Shirai, T., & Nakamura, H. (2002). Experimental tests of large scale buckling restrained braces and frames, Proceedings, Passive Control Symposium, December 2002, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan.
- Uang, C. M., Bruneau, M., Whittaker, A. S., & Tsai, K. C. (2001). Seismic design of steel structures, Seismic Design Handbook, F. Naeim, Ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, chap 9.
- Uang. C. M. & Nakashima, M. (2004). Steel Buckling-Res trained Braced Frames, CRC Press LLC, chap 16.
- Usami, T. & Kaneko, H. (2001). Strength of H-shaped brace constrained flexural buckling having unconstrained area at both ends, J. Struct. Constr. Eng., AIJ, No. 542, 171-177.
- Wada, A., Connor, J., Kawai, H., Iwata, M., & Watanabe, A. (1992). Damage tolerant structures, Proc. 5th U.S. - Japan Workshop on the Improvement of Structural Design and Construction Practices, San Diego, CA, Applied Technology Council, ATC-15-4, pp. 27-39.
- Watanabe, A., Hitomi, Y., Saeki, E., Wada, A., & Fujimoto, M. (1988). Properties of brace encased in buckling-restraining concrete and steel tube, Proc. 9th WCEE, Tokyo-Kyoto, Japan, Vol. 4, 719-724.
- Wigle, V. R. & Fahnestock, L. A. (2010). Buckling-restrained braced frame connection performance, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 66, 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.07.014
- Park, M. W., Joo, Y. K., Kim, M. H., Kim, J. Y., & Kim, S. D. (2008). Structural performance evaluation of buckling-restrained braces made of high-strength steels, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, 20(1), 33-42.
- Gwon, S. H., Jang, S. J., Joo, Y. K., Kim, M. H., Jeong, K. R., & Kim, S. D. (2006). Experimental study on the component capacity of buckling-restrained braces, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, 22(4), 29-38.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 국토교통부