- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Improvement of Patient Safety and Inspection Satisfaction by Developing Pretreatment Process System with the Patients Who Reserved CT Enhance Examination
CT 조영검사 예약환자의 전처치 프로세스 시스템 개발을 통한 환자안전 및 검사 만족도 향상
Beom, Hyinam;Han, Jaebok;Song, Jongnam;Kim, Wook;Choi, Namgil
- Received : 2016.01.03
- Accepted : 2016.01.30
- Published : 2016.01.30
This study aims to improve the satisfaction level of the patient who undergoes CT contrast examination by developing and applying pretreatment process system, which not only can reduce the side effects caused by the test but also can help carry out the test smoothly. The subjects were 214 patients who booked CT contrast examination from January 2014 to February 2014 but could not carry out their test on schedule. We analyzed the reasons for the delay and conducted follow-up survey on them. We analyzed the usefulness of pretreatment process system by contemplating and developing pretreatment process system and applying it to the patients for whom follow-up survey was conducted from January 2015 to February 2015. The number of outpatients who came to the hospital form January to February 2014 was 2,846 and the number of patients who could not undergo the test was 214, accounting for 7.52% of the total. The specific reason for the delay includes 214 cases of unknown creatinine 98 with 120 minutes of average delay time, 40 cases of creatinine over 1.3(19%) with 30minutes of average delay time, 34 cases of past contrast media side effect 6% with 40 minutes of average delay time and 25 cases of lack of pretreatment such as fasting, etc. 11% with 120minutes of average delay time. The number of CT scan has been increasing ever since the development of CT and the frequency of using the contrast media is expected to increase. If we can employ pretreatment process system in order to effectively control the side effect of contrast media and help the CT contrast examination to be smoothly conducted on schedule, I'm sure we could improve the quality of our medical service and increase our patients' satisfaction who come to our CT scan room.
CT Enhancement;Pretreatment;Creatinine;Contrast Media Side Effect
- United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) 2008 Report to the General Assembly, with scientific annexes, UNSCEAR 2008 REPORT Vol. 1, 2008.
- M. J. Shin, Y. J. Cho, "Management of adverse reaction to iodinated radiocontrast media," Journal of the Korean Medical Association, Vol. 55, No. 8, pp. 779-790, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2012.55.8.779
- C. M. Park, B. R. Lee, T. B. Song, "Safety Evaluati on of Iopamidol Contrast Medium Used for Radiological Examination of a Local Clinic in Korea," Yakhak Hoeji, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 328-333, 2009.
- Thomson K, Varma D, Safe use fo radiographic contrast media" Australian Prescriber, 2012
- Carolyn L. Wang, Richard H. Cohan, James H. Ellis, Elaine M. Caoili, George Wang and Isaac R. Francis, "Frequency, outcome, and appropriateness of treatment of nonionic iodinated contrast media reactions," AJR, Vol. 191, No. 2, pp. 409-415, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.3421
- H. J. Jeon, J. H. Park, "Adverse Effect to Contrast Media," Keimyung university medical library, Vol. 4, pp. 49-53, 1994.
- E C Lasser, C C Berry, M M Mishkin, B Williamson, N Zheutlin and J M Silverman "Pretreatment with corticosteroids to prevent adverse reactions to nonionic contrast media," AJR, Vol. 162, pp. 523-526, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.162.3.8109489
- Maddox TG, "Adverse reactions to contrast material: recognition, prevention, and treatment," American Family Physician, Vol. 66, No. 7, pp. 1229- 1234, 2002.
- Rudnick MR, Berns JS, Cohen RM, Goldfarb S, "Contrast media-associated nephrotoxicity," Semin Nephrol, Vol. 17, pp. 15-26, 1997.
- Y. S. Kim, S. W. Song, Y. M. Ku, H. H. Song, S. A. Yoon, H. C. Song, Y. O. Kim, K. T. Kim, Y. S. Chang, B. K. Bang, "Clinical characteristics and risk factors of contrast dye nephrotoxicity in patients performing arteriography," Korean Journal Nephrol, Vol. 23, pp. 248-255, 2004.
- Christiansen C, "X-ray contrast media: an overview," Toxicology, Vol. 209, pp. 185-187, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2004.12.020
- AC Walker, DH Carr, "Reaction to radiogrpahic contrast media. An attempt to detect specific anti-contrast medium antibodies in the sera of reactor patients," The British of Radiology, Vol. 59, pp. 131-136, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-59-698-131