- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Image Quality Improvement in Computed Tomography by Using Anisotropic 2-Dimensional Diffusion Based Filter
비등방성 2차원 확산 기반 필터를 이용한 전산화단층영상 품질 개선
- Received : 2016.01.03
- Accepted : 2016.01.30
- Published : 2016.01.30
The purpose of this study was tried to remove the noise and improve the spatial resolution in the computed tomography (CT) by using anisotropic 2-dimensional (2D) diffusion based filter. We used 4-channel multi-detector CT and american association of physicists in medicine (AAPM) phantom was used for CT performance evaluation to evaluate the image quality. X-ray irradiation conditions for image acquisition was fixed at 120 kVp, 100 mAs and scanned 10 mm axis with ultra-high resolution. The improvement of anisotropic 2D diffusion filtering that we suggested firstly, increase the contrast of the image by using histogram stretching to the original image for 0.4%, and multiplying the individual pixels by 1.2 weight value, and applying the anisotropic diffusion filtering. As a result, we could distinguished five holes until 0.75 mm in the original image but, five holes until 0.40 mm in the image with improved anisotropic diffusion filter. The noise of the original image was 46.0, the noise of the image with improved anisotropic 2D diffusion filter was decreased to 33.5(27.2%). In conclusion improved anisotropic 2D diffusion filter that we proposed could remove the noise of the CT image and improve the spatial resolution.
Anisotropic 2D diffusion filter;Improve image quality;Computed tomography;Noise;Spatial resolution
- S. Diederich, D. Wormanns, W. Heindel, "Lung Cancer screening with low-dose CT," Europen Journal of Radiology, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 2-7, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0720-048X(02)00302-9
- S. J. Swensen, G. L. Aughenbaugh, L. R. Brown "High-resolution computed tomography of the lung," Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Vol. 64, No. 10, pp.1284-1294, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-6196(12)61292-0
- C. J. Bergin, N. L. Muller "CT in the diagnosis of interstitial lung disease," American Journal of Roentgenology, Vol. 145, No. 3, pp. 9-15, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.145.1.9
- B. H. Lee, Y. J. Hwang, G. Hur, S. Y. Kim, J. Y. Lee, Y. H. Kim, "Multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) images with soft tissue and bone algorithm reconstruction in head and facial trauma," Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, Vol. 18, Issue 7, pp. 899-901, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2010.10.019
- K. S. Chon, "Noise Properties for Filtered Back Projection in CT Reconstruction," Journal of the Korea Society of Radiology, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 357-364, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.6.357
- G. N. Ramachandran, A.V. Lakhshminarayana, "Three-dimensional reconstruction from radiographs and electron micrographs: Application of convolution instead of Fourier transform," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America Vol. 68, No. 9, pp. 2236-2240, 1971. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.68.9.2236
- B. Kang, "Quantitative evaluation of CT artifact elimination with various Cut-off frequency of Hann filter," Journal of the Korea Society of Radiology, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 5-9, 2008.
- P. Perona, J. Malik, "Scale-Space and Edge Detection Using Anisotropic Diffusion", IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 12 No. 7, pp. 629-639, 1990.
- G. Y. Go, D. H. Ju, D. H. Yum, D. Y. Kim, "Inverse halftoning Using Anisotropic diffusion and Edge map", The Korea Institute of Signal Processing and Systems, Vol. 1 No. 2, pp. 81-84, 2000.
- H. R. Ji, H. Hong, "Automatic detection of foreign body through template matching in industrial CT volume data," Journal of Korea Multimedia Society, Vol. 16, No. 12, pp. 1376-1384, 2013. https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2013.16.12.1376
- S. Rodtook, Y. Rangsanseri, "Adaptive Thresholding of Document Image Based on Laplacian Sign," International Conference on Information Technology : Coding and Computin, Las Vegas, April, 2001.
- A. B. Wolbarst, Physics of radiology, 2nd edition, Medical Physics Publishing Co., 2005.
- C. G. Rafael, E. W. Richard, Digital Image Processing, 2nd edition Addison Wesley, 2001.
- T. Huang, G. Yang, G. Tang, "A fast two-dimensional median filtering algorithm," IEEE Trans. Acount., Speech. Signal Processing, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 13-18, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASSP.1979.1163188
- M. J. Park, S. B. Lee, "Improvement of Angiogram Quality Using by High Pass Filter," Journal of the Korea Society of Radiology, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 301-307, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.6.301
- Y. H. Seoung, H. J. Park, H. B. Kang, "Wavelet-based Noise reduction filter for 3-Dimensional Computed Tomography Brain angiography," Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers, Vol. 32 No. 2, pp. 859-861, 2005.