- Volume 66 Issue 1
Najang was the central Seori, affiliated to the Ministry of War during the Joseon dynasty. The objective of this study is to research the existing authentic Najang costumes from the late-Joseon dynasty by examining factors, such as the composition of the costume, size, and method of creation, and attempt to replicate it. The Leipzig Grassi Museum in Germany possesses an official uniform of Najang from the late-Joseon dynasty, and we visited the museum in May of 2013 to examine it for the study. Written records, or Uigwe, and other pictorial data from the Joseon Dynastry describe the Najang wearing black or navy clothing with white decoration and pointy hats. The most notable characteristic of the Najang uniform is that it has the cotton cords pattern. The hat has a brass ball attached, which was worn with the ball facing the front in the early Joseon Dynasty, and was worn facing the back in the later years. They usually wore black head cloths (Heuk-geon), but would attach feathers on the black hats (Heuk-rip) for special occasions. The Najang uniform preserved in the Leipsiz Grassi Muesim does not exist in Korea. It is made of cotton. The cotton cord pattern of the uniform of Najang was made using single-ply cords and double-ply cords. The hat worn by Najang is in a form of a cone that becomes narrower towards the top or is in a form with wide and open end. It was made of oiled paper covered with hemp, and two circular metal disks were attatched at the rear.
- Danjong-jeongsoonwanghoo-bokweboomyodogam-uigwe [端宗定順王后復位祔廟都監儀軌] (1699).
- Dankyungwanghoo-boomyodogam-uigwe [端敬王后復位祔廟都監儀軌] (1739).
- Ewha Womans University Museum (2014). Modern Korean Painting. Seoul, Republic of Korea: Graphicnet.
- Gang, M. G. (2008). Hanyang-ga [漢陽歌]. Seongnam, Republic of Korea: Shingumunhwasa.
- Goryeo-sa [高麗史] (1451).
- Gyeong-gook-dae-jeon [經國大典] (1481).
- Gyeongjong-danuiwanghoo-garyedogam-uigwe [景宗端懿王后嘉禮都監儀軌] (1696).
- Gyeongjong-danuiwanghoo-boomyodogam-uigwe [景宗端懿王后祔廟都監儀軌] (1726).
- Hyeonjong-myeongseong-wanghoo-garyedogam-uigwe [顯宗明聖王后嘉禮都監儀軌] (1652).
- Hyojangseja-garyedogam-uigwe [孝章世子嘉禮都監儀軌] (1727)
- Hyojong-boomyodogam-uigwe [孝宗祔廟都監儀軌] (1661).
- Inwon-wanghoo boomyodogam-uigwe [仁元王后祔廟都監儀軌] (1752).
- Inseonwanghoo-boomyodogam-uigwe [仁宣王后祔廟都監儀軌] (1676).
- Lee, H. J. (1992). Minjok-saenghwaleo-sajoen [민족생활어 사전] (6th ed.). Pajoo, Republic of Korea: Hangilsa.
- Myeongseong-wanghoo-boomyodogam-uigwe [明聖王后祔廟都監儀軌] (1686).
- Moonhuimyo-younggeoncheung-deungrok [文禧廟營建廳謄錄] (1790).
- National Museum of Korea (2002). Genre Paintings of Joseon Dynasty [조선시대 풍속화]. Seoul, Republic of Korea: Friends of National Museum of Korea.
- National Museum of Korea (2009). Scenes of Banquets and Ceremonies of the Joseon Dynasty [조선시대 향연과 의례: 잔치풍경]. Seoul, Republic of Korea: City Partner.
- National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage (2013), Korean art Collection Grassi Museum fur Volkerkunde zu Leipzig Germany [독일 라이프치히그라시 민속박물관 소장 한국문화재]. Seoul: Graphicnet.
- Park, Y. Y. (2013). Goryeosa Yeobokji Yeokjoo [고려사여복지 역주]. Seoul, Republic of Korea: Kyungin Moonwhasa.
- Sadoseja-garyedogam-uigwe [思悼世子嘉禮都監儀軌] (1744).
- Shindeokwanghoo-boomyodogam-uigwe [神德王后祔廟都監儀軌] (1670).
- Sohyunseja-yejangdogam-uigwe [昭顯世子禮葬都監儀軌] (1645).
- Sookjong-inkyoungwanghoo-garyedogam-uigwe [肅宗仁敬王后嘉禮都監儀軌] (1671).
- Sookjong-inhyunwanghoo-garyedogam-uigwe [肅宗仁顯王后嘉禮都監儀軌] (1681).
- The Annals of the Joseon Dynasty [朝鮮王朝實錄] (1506).
- The National Research Institute of Cultural Properties (1999). Collections Coreennes au Musee Guimet [프랑스 국립기메동양박물관 소장 한국문화재]. Seoul, Republic of Korea: Yemek.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 단국대학교