- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Physicochemical/Mineralogical Characteristics of Limestones and Porosity after Calcination on Desulfurization Reactivities
- Baek, Chul-Seoung (Department of Research and Development, Korea Institute of Limestone and Advanced Materials) ;
- Seo, Jun-Hyung (Department of Research and Development, Korea Institute of Limestone and Advanced Materials) ;
- Cho, Jin-Sang (Department of Research and Development, Korea Institute of Limestone and Advanced Materials) ;
- Cho, Kye-Hong (Department of Research and Development, Korea Institute of Limestone and Advanced Materials) ;
- Han, Choon (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kwangwoon University)
- Received : 2015.12.17
- Accepted : 2016.01.19
- Published : 2016.01.31
Characteristics of wet flue gas desulfurization and in-furnace desulfurization of domestic and overseas limestone with different crystallinity and crystalline size are studied in this article. Properties of desulfurization were evaluated in relation to physicochemical/ mineralogical characteristics, degree of pore formation for different calcination temperatures and TNC(total neutralizing capability). TNC of domestic high crystalline limestone was lower than that of overseas one. On the other hand, the porosity after calcination was shown to be relatively high for domestic limestone, which had high initial rates of desulfurization reactions in-furnace. Based on low pore formation and porosity with high TNC of crystalline high-Ca limestones compared to macrocrystalline ones, the former are preferred for wet desulfurization processes.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning
- J. B. Park and J. H. Roh, "Scenario Analysis of Natural Gas Demand for Electricity Generation in Korea," Trans. KIEE., 63  1503-10 (2014).
- J. K. Kim and H. D. Lee, "Combustion Characteristics of High Moisture Indonesia Coal as a Pulverized Fuel at Thermal Power Plant," J. Energy Eng., 19  136-42 (2010).
- J. S. Kim and J. M. Lee, "A Study on Design Characteristics of Yeosu Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler," J. Korean Soc. Combust., 16  1-7 (2011).
- K. Dam-Johanson and K. Ostergaard, "High Temperature Reaction between Sulphur Dioxide and Limestone-I. Comparison of Limestones in Two Laboratory Reactors and a Pilot Plant," Chem. Eng. Sci., 46  827-37 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(91)80189-6
- R. K. Srivastava and W. Jozewicz, "Flue Gas Desulfurization: The State of the Art," J. Air Waste Manage., 51 1676-88 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1080/10473289.2001.10464387
- D. W. Marsh and D. L. Ulrichson, "Rate and Diffusional Study of the Reaction of Calcium Oxide with Sulfur Dioxide," Chem. Eng. Sci., 40  423-33 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(85)85104-6
T. Dogu, "The Importance of Pore Structure and Diffusion in the Kinetics of Gas-Solid Non-Catalytic Reactions: Reaction of Calcined Limestone with
$SO_2$," Chem. Eng. J., 21  213-22 (1981). https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9467(81)80005-6
- S. K. Bhatia and D. D. Perlmuttcr, "A Random Pore Model for Fluid-Solid Reactions: II. Diffusion and Transport Effects," AlChE. J., 27  247-54 (1981). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690270211
- P. G. Christman and T. F. Edgar, "Distributed Pore-Size Model for Sulfation of Limestone," AlChE. J., 29  388-95 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690290307
- ASTM C1318-95, "Standard Test Method for Determination of Total Neutralizing Capability and Dissolved Calcium and Magnesium Oxide in Lime for Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD)", ASTM International. (2001).
- A. W. D. Hill, "The Mechanism of the Thermal Decomposition of Calcium Carbonate," Chem. Eng. Sci., 23  297-320 (1968). https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(68)87002-2
- Illinois Clean Coal Institute, Lime Softening Sludge-A Potentially Important Source of Sorbents for Wet FGD Systems (ICCI Project No. 11/6D2, 2012, www.icci.org/reports/11Lasemi6D-2.pdf).
- R. O. K. Ministry of Trade Industry and Energy, Development of Utilization Technology of DBA and Domestic Limestone in Flue Gas Desulfurization Process (MOTIE Project No. 2000-C-CT01-P03 2002, www.nanet.go.kr).
- J. H. Noh, "Applied-Mineralogical Study on the Mineral Facies and Characteristics of Domestic High-ca Limestone," J. Miner. Soc. Korea, 17  339-55 (2004).