- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Additional Effect of Zeolite Based on Bactericidal Activated Carbon Spheres with Enhanced Adsorption Effect and Higher Ignition Temperature
Zhu, Lei;Ye, Shu;Asghar, Ali;Bang, Seong-Ho;Oh, Won-Chun
- Received : 2015.09.02
- Accepted : 2015.11.10
- Published : 2016.01.31
In this study, the fabrication of zeolite combined activated carbon spherical samples was carried out as follows. Briefly, ZSM-5 zeolite and activated carbon were composed as main absorbent materials; by controlling the weight percentage of zeolite and binder materials, a series of spherical samples (AZP 4, 6, 8) were prepared. These spherical samples were characterized by BET, XRD, SEM, EDX, and pressure drop; benzene and iodine adsorption tests, bactericidal effect test, and ignition temperature test were also performed. The adsorption capability was found to depend on the BET surface area; the spherical samples AZP6 with high BET surface area of
Activated carbon;Zeolite;Spherical;Ignition temperature;Adsorption
- J. B. Zhou, S. Hao, L. P. Gao, and Y. C. Zhang, "Study on Adsorption Performance of Coal Based Activated Carbon to Radioactive Iodine and Stable Iodine," Ann. Nucl. Energy, 72 237-41 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.05.028
- J. P. M. Lozar, J. J. Juan, F. S. Garcia, D. C. Amoros, and A. L. Solano, "MOF-5 and Activated Carbons as Adsorbents for Gas Storage," Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 37 2370-81 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.11.023
L. Zhu, Z. D. Meng, M. L. Chen, F. J. Zhang, J. G. Choi, J. Y. Park, and W. C. Oh, "Photodegradation of MB Solution by the Metal (Fe, Ni and Co) Containing AC/
$TiO_2$Photocatalyst under the UV Irradiation," J. Multifunct. Mater. Photosci., 1 69-76 (2010).
J. Arana and J. M. Dona, "
$TiO_2$Activation by Using Activated Carbon as a Support Part I. Surface Characterization and Decantability Study," Appl. Catal. B: Environ., 44 161-68 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(03)00107-3
- B. Xu, S. Hou, G. Cao, F. Wu, and Y. Yang, "Sustainable Nitrogen-Doped Porous Carbon with High Surface Areas Prepared from Gelatin for Supercapacitors," J. Mater. Chem., 22  19088-93 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1039/c2jm32759g
- C. Peng, X. Yan, R. Wang, J. Lang, Y. Ou, and Q. Xue, "Promising Activated Carbons Derived from Waste Tea-Leaves and Their Application in High Performance Supercapacitors Electrodes," Electrochim. Acta., 87 401-8 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2012.09.082
- K. J. Choi, S. G. Kim, and S. H. Kim, "Removal of Tetracycline and Sulfonamide Classes of Antibiotic Compound by Powdered Activated Carbon," Environ. Tech., 29  333-42 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330802102223
- C.Y. Lu and M. Wey, "Simultaneous Removal of VOC and NO by Activated Carbon Impregnated with Transition Metal Catalysts in Combustion Flue Gas," Fuel Process. Techno., 88 557-67 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2007.01.004
- A. Bagreev, H. Rahman, and T. J. Bandosz, "Thermal Regeneration of a Spent Activated Carbon Previously Used as Hydrogen Sulfide Adsorbent," Carbon, 39 1319-26 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(00)00266-9
- C. O. Ania, J. A. Menendez, J. B. Parra, and J. J. Pis, "Microwave-Induced Regeneration of Activated Carbons Polluted with Phenol a Comparison with Conventional Thermal Regeneration," Carbon, 42 1383-87 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2004.01.010
- A. Cameron and J. D. Macdowall, "The Self Heating of Commercial Powdered Activated Carbons," J. Appl. Chem. Biotechnol., 22 1007-18 (1972).
- G. X. Niu, Y. Huang, X. Y. Chen, J. M. He, Y. Liu, and A. He, "Thermal and Hydrothermal Stability of Siliceous Y Zeolite and its Application to High-Temperature Catalytic Combustion," Appl. Catal. B: Environ., 21 63-70 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(99)00009-0
- J. Weitkamp, "Zeolites and Catalysis," Solid. State. Ion., 131 175-88 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-2738(00)00632-9
- H. Yoneyama and T. Torimoto, "Titanium Dioxide/Adsorbent Hybrid Photocatalysts for Photodestruction of Organic Substances of Dilute Concentrations," Catal. Today, 5 8133-40 (2000).
- T. Torimoto, S. Ito, S. Kuwabata, and H. Yoneyama, "Effects of Adsorbents Used as Supports for Titanium Dioxide Loading on Photocatalytic Degradation of Propyzamide," Environ. Sci. Technol., 30 1275-81 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1021/es950483k
- K. Masuda, K. Tsujimura, K. Shinoda, and T. Kato, Appl. Catal. B: Environ., 8  33-40 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0926-3373(95)00051-8
M. Matsuoka, W. S. Ju, H. Yamashita, and M. Anpo, "In situ Characterization of the
$Ag^+$Ion-Exchanged Zeolites and Their Photocatalytic Activity for the Decomposition of $N_2O$into $N_2$and $O_2$at 298 K," J. Photochem. Photobiol. A, 160 43-46 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1010-6030(03)00219-3
- M. Smolinska, G. Cik, F. Sersen, M. Caplovicova, A. Takacova, M. Kopani, "The Hybrid Methylene Blue-Zeolite System: A Higher Efficient Photocatalyst for Photoinactivation of Pathogenic Microorganisms," Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol., 12 61-72 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-013-0419-5
K. D. Dubois, A. Petushkov, E. Garcia Cardona, S. C. Larsen, and G. Li, "Adsorption and Photochemical Properties of a Molecular
$CO_2$Reduction Catalyst in Hierarchical Mesoporous ZSM-5: an in situ FTIR Study," J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 3 486-92 (2011).
M. Takeuchi, M. Hidaka, and M. Anpo, "Efficient Removal of Toluene and Benzene in Gas Phase by the
$TiO_2$/Y-zeolite Hybrid Photocatalyst.," J. Hazard. Mater., 237-238 133-39 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.08.011
- J. B. Yang, L. C. Ling, L. Liu, F. Y. Kang, Z. H. Huang, and H. Wu, "Preparation and Properties of Phenolic Resin Based Activated Carbon Spheres with Controlled Pore Size Distribution," Carbon, 40 911-16 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(01)00222-6
- N. S. Roh, K. H. Kim, and D. C. Kim, "Rheological Characteristics of Coal-Water Mixture Fuel and Pressure Losses in Pipe Flow," J. Korean. Inst. Chem. Eng., 33  282-91 (1995).
- E. Berman, Toxic Metals and their Analysis, Chapter 4, Heyden and Son, London, 1980.
- W. C. Oh and W. C. Jang, "Physical Properties and Biological Effects of Activated Carbon Fibers Treated with the Herbs," Carbon, 41 1737-42 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(03)00119-2
- W. C. Oh, "Surface Transition by Solvent Washing Effects and Bological Properties of Metal Treated Activated Carbons," Bull. Korean Chem. Soc., 25  639-46 (2004). https://doi.org/10.5012/bkcs.2004.25.5.639
W. C. Oh, A. R. Jung, and W. B. Ko, "Characterization and Relative Photonic Efficiencies of a New Nanocarbon/
$TiO_2$Composite Photocatalyst Designed for Organic Dye Decomposition and Bactericidal Activity," Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 4 1338-47 (2009).
P. S. Liu, Z. D. Zhang, M. J. Jia, X. H. Gao, and J. H. Yu, "ZSM-5 Zeolites with Different
$SiO_2$/ $Al_2O_3$Ratios as Fluid Catalytic Cracking Catalyst Additives for Residue Cracking," Chinese. J. Catal., 36 806-12 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1872-2067(14)60311-9
R. D. Zhang, B. Zhang, Z. Y. Shi, N. Liu, and B. H. Chen, "Catalytic Behaviors of Chloromethane Combustion over the Metal-modified ZSM-5 Zeolites with Diverse
$SiO_2$/ $Al_2O_3$Ratios," J. Mol. Catal. A: Chem., 398 223-30 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcata.2014.11.019
T. Phoo-ngernkham, P. Chindaprasirt, V. Sata, S. Hanjitsuwan, and S. Hatanaka, "The Effect of Adding Nano-
$SiO_2$and Nano- $Al_2O_3$on Properties of High Calcium Fly Ash Geopolymer Cured at Ambient Temperature," Mater. Design., 55 58-65 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2013.09.049
- U. S. Hong, S. L. Jung, K. H. Cho, M. H. Cho, S. J. Kim, and H. Jang, "Wear Mechanism of Multiphase Friction Materials with different Phenolic Resin Matrices," Wear., 266 [7-8] 739-44 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2008.08.008
- Y. Zhang, Y. D. Xu, L. Y. Gao, L.T. Zhang, and L. F. Cheng, "Microstructural Evolution of Phenolic Resin-based Carbon/ Carbon Composites during Pyrolysis," Acta. Mater. Compositae Sin., 23  37-43 (2006).
- L. R. Radovic, C. Moreno-Castilla, and J. Rivera-Utrilla, "Carbon Materials as Adsorbents in Aqueous Solutions," Chem. Phys. Carbon, 27 227-405 (2000).
- Q. L. Feng, J. Wu, G. Q. Chen, F. Z. Cui, T. N. Kim, and J. O. Kim, "A Mechanistic Study of the Antibacterial Effect of Silver Ions on Escherichia Coli and Staphylococcus Aureus," J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 52  662-68 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4636(20001215)52:4<662::AID-JBM10>3.0.CO;2-3
- Preparation of granular composite materials as novel sorbents and their application for removal of heavy metals from solution pp.1735-2630, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-018-1772-1
Supported by : Korea Small and Medium Business Administration