- Volume 20 Issue 1
Recently, IM(Instant Messenger) of KakaoTalk is being used on smart devices such as smartphones. Because IM service can carry user and/or suspector's various information including life style, geographical position, psychology and crime history, forensic analysis on IM service is desirable. But, forensic analysis for KakaoTalk is not well studied yet. This paper studies a proper forensic method for KakaoTalks, finds artifacts location, reconstruct the list of contacts and the chronology of the messages that have been exchanged by users. Proposed methodology and analyzed information can provide a basic platform for forensic tool.
Android Forensic;IM(Instant Messenger);KakaoTalk;WhatsApp;SNS(Social Network Service)
- J. M. Lee, "The Effect of Personal Communication Activities using Smart Phone Instant Messenger on Job Performance," Journal of Korean Socieity for Internet Information, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 17-24, Oct. 2012.
- Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Instant Messaging [Internet]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_messaging.
- H. S. Jung, "The evolution of Korean social network service focusing on the case of Kakao talk," The Journal of Digital Policy and Management, vol. 10, no 10, pp. 147-154, Nov. 2012.
- Yu Jong Jang, Jin Kwak, "Mobile Digital Forensic Procedure for Crime Investigation in Social Network Service," The Journal of Korea Navigation Institute, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 325-331, Jun. 2013.
- Mohammad Iftekhar Husain, Ramalingam Sridhar, "iForensics: forensic analysis of instant messaging on smart phones," in The First International Conference on Digital Forensics & Cyber Crime, pp. 9-18, Sept. 2009.
- Yu-Cheng Tso, et al., "iPhone social networking for evidence investigations using iTunes forensics," in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication, ACM New York, article no. 62, Feb. 2012.
- Shubham Sahu, "An Analysis of WhatsApp Forensics in Android Smartphones," International Journal of Engineering Research, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 349-350, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.17950/ijer/v3s5/514
- Neha S. Thakur, "Forensic analysis of WhatsApp on Android smartphones," M.S. Thesis, University of New Orleans Theses and Dissertations, 2013.
- Cosimo Anglano, "Forensic analysis of WhatsApp Messenger on Android smartphones," Digital Investigation, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 201-213, Sept. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diin.2014.04.003
- JaeWan Jo, "Study Android lock features analysis of Digital Forensic focus," M.S. Thesis, KOREA University Theses and Dissertations, 2013.
- HoSeung No, "Logical Forensic Technique on Android Smartphone," M.S. Thesis, KOREA University Theses and Dissertations, 2014.
- Forensic Analysis of chatting messenger service in KakaoTalk and Comparison Study of KakaoTalk and WhatsApp Artifacts vol.20, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2016.20.4.777