- Volume 65 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
RF Spectrum Cognition Technologies for IoT Wireless Sensors
IoT 무선 센서를 위한 RF 스펙트럼 인지 기술
- Yoon, Won-Sang (Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Hoseo University) ;
- Han, Sang-Min (Dept. of Information and Communication Engineering, Soonchunhyang University)
- Received : 2015.10.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.24
- Published : 2016.01.01
In this paper, new spectrum sensing schemes based on analog/RF front-end processing are introduced for IoT wireless sensor networks. While the conventional approaches for wireless channel cognition have been issued in signal processing area, the RF spectrum cognition concept makes it feasible to achieve cognitive wireless sensor networks (C-WSNs). The spectrum cognition at RF processing is categorized as four kinds of sensing mechanisms. Two recent reseaches are described as promising candidates for the C-WSN. One senses spectrum by the frequency discriminating receiver, the other senses and detects from the frequency selective super-regenerative receiver. The introduced systems with simple and low-power RF architectures play dual roles of channel sensing and demodulation. simultaneously. Therefore, introduced spectrum sensing receivers can be one of the best candidates for IoT wireless sensor devices in C-WSN environments.
Supported by : 순천향대학교, 한국연구재단
- IEEE Standard 802.15.4, "PART 15.4: Wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications for low-rate wireless personal area networks (LR-WPANs)," IEEE Press, Dec. 2005.
- S.-M. Han, O. Popov, and A. Dmitriev, "Flexible chaotic UWB communication system with adjustable channel bandwidth in CMOS technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 2229-2236, Oct. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2008.2003528
- J.-S. Lee, J.-M. Kim, J.-S. Lee, S.-K. Han, S.-G. Lee, "A 227 pJ/b -83 dBm 2.4 GHz multi-channel OOK receiver adopting receiver-based FLL," Int. Solid-State Circuit Conf. 2015 Digest Technical Paper, pp. 234-235, Feb. 2015.
- M. Vidojkovic, et al., "A 2.4GHz ULP OOK single-chip transceiver for healthcare applications," Int. Solid-State Circuit Conf. digest technical paper, pp. 458-459, Feb. 2011.
- J. Ayers, K. Mayaram, and T. S. Fiez, "An ultralow-power receiver for wireless sensor networks," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1759-1769, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2010.2056850
- IEEE 802.22 WG on Wireless Regional Area Networks, "Functional Requirements for the 802.22 WRAN Standard," http://www.ieee802.org/22/.
- S. Haykin, "Cognitive radio: brain-empowered wireless communications," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 201-220, Feb 2005 https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2004.839380
- B. Razavi, "Cognitive radio design challenges and techniques," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1542-1553, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2010.2049790
- V. Pohl, F. Y. Suratman, A. M. Zoubir, and H. Boche, "Spectrum sensing for cognitive radio architectures based on sub-Nyquest sampling schemes," Int. ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), Germany, Feb. 2011.
- T. Yucek and H. Arslan, "A survey of spectrum sensing algorithms for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Commun. Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 116-130, 1st Quarter 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2009.090109
- K. Seshukumar, R. Saravanan, and M. S. Suraj, "Spectrum sensing review in cognitive radio," Int. Conf. Emerging Trends in VLSI, Embedded Syst., Nano Electronics and Telecommun. Syst. (ICEVENT), January 2013.
- G. Chaudhary, Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Harmonic suppressed dual-band bandpass filter with independently tunable center frequencies and bandwidths ," J. Electromagnetic Eng. Sci., vol. 13, no. 2, pp.93-103, June, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.2.93
- J. Park, T. Song, J. Hur, S. M. Lee, J. Choi, K. Kim, K. Lim, C.-H. Lee, H. Kim, and J. Laskar, "A fully integrated UHF-band CMOS receiver with multi-resolution spectrum sensing (MRSS) functionality for IEEE 802.22 cognitive radio applications," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 258-268, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2008.2007435
- K.-J. Lee, H. Lee, Y.-S. Kim, J. Lim, and S.-M. Han, "Multi-functional channel selective RF receiver system for low-power sensor network applications," Microw. Optical Tech. Lett., vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 847-851, April 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.26699
- K.-J. Lee, H. Lee, Y.-S. Kim, J. Lim, and S.-M. Han, "Erratum: Multi-functional channel selective RF receiver system for low-power sensor network applications," Microw. Optical Tech. Lett., vol. 54, no. 7, pp.1775, July 2012.
- A. B. Carlson, Communication Systems: An Introduction to Signals and Noise in Electrical Communication, 3rd edition, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, pp.259-263, 1986.
- S.-M. Han, Y. Lee, T. Choi, S.-J. Lee, J.-W. Baik, J. Lim, and D. Ahn, "Compact wake-up module design based on an energy-harvesting rectenna for wireless sensor receivers," Int. J. Antennas Propag., vol. 2015, Article ID 976875, 2015.
- W.-S. Yoon, S.-J. Lee, and S.-M. Han, "Channel cognitive wireless sensor system based on spectrum sensing technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 1157-1164, March 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2013.2294864
- F. X. Moncunill-Geniz, P. Pala-Schonwalder, and F. Aguila-Lopez, "New superregenerative architectures for direct-sequence spread-spectrum communications," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 415-419, July 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2005.850401
- E. H. Armstrong, "Some recent developments of regenerative circuits," Proc. IRE, vol. 10, pp. 244-260, Aug. 1922.
- W.-S. Yoon, H.-S. Lee, H.-J. Lee, J. Lim, Y.-S. Kim, and S.-M. Han, "A frequency tunable super-regenerative oscillator for channel selective receivers," in Proc. IEEE Radio Wireless Symp. 2011 (RWS '11), Phoenix, AZ, USA, pp.227-230, Jan. 2011.