- Volume 65 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Signal-to-noise Ratio Improvement of a FM Antenna Using a Non-Foster Circuit
Non-Foster 회로를 이용한 FM 안테나의 신호 대 잡음비 개선
Park, Hongwoo;Kahng, Sungtek;Kim, Hongjoon
- Received : 2015.11.30
- Accepted : 2016.01.14
- Published : 2016.02.01
In this paper, we demonstrate a Non-Foster matching method for an electrically small antenna to improve the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of communication link. For the experiment, we used a general FM antenna whose resonance frequency is about 52-57 MHz and a floating type Linvill negative impedance converter(NIC)-based circuit as a Non-Foster matching element. By implementing the Non-Foster circuit to cover FM band, we can achieve a wide bandwidth matching covers 40-200 MHz. Our measurement shows 3-7 dB improvement of SNR for the same bandwidth though there are several spikes which means no improvement of SNR in the band.
Broadband matching;Non-foster impedance matching;Negative impedance converter;FM antenna;Signal-to-noise ratio improvement
- RongLin Li, Bo Pan, J. Laskar, M. M. Tentzeris, "A compact broadband planar antenna for GPS, DCS-1800, IMT-2000, and WLAN applications", IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett. vol. 6, pp. 25-27, July 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2006.890754
- C. Rowell and E. Y. Lam, "Multiple frequency band and high isolation mobile device antennas using a capacitive slot", IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 3576-3582, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2012.2201077
- H. A. Wheeler, "Fundamental limitations of small antennas", Proceedings of the IRE vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1479-1484, Dec 1947.
- R. M. Fano, "Theoretical limitations on the broadband matching of arbitrary impedances", Journal of the Franklin Institute vol. 249, no. 1, pp. 57-83, Jan. 1950. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-0032(50)90006-8
- Hongjong Park, Sangho Lee, Sunghwan Park and Youngwoo Kwon, "Negative Impedance Converter IC for Non-Foster Matching", The Journal of Korea Electromagnetic Engineering Society vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 283-291, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2015.26.3.283
- Hyemin Yang and Kangwook Kim, "NIC-Based Non-Foster Impedance Matching of a Resistively Loaded Vee Dipole Antenna". The Journal of Korea Electromagnetic Engineering Society vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 597-605, July 2015. https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2015.26.7.597
- R. M. Foster, "A reactance theorem", Bell System Technical Journal vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 259-267, April 1924. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1924.tb01358.x
- J. G. Linvill, "Transistor negative-impedance converters". Proceedings of the IRE vol. 6, no. 41 pp. 725-729, June 1953.
- Review on multi gas detector using infrared spectral absorption technology pp.1520-569X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/05704928.2018.1474766
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning