- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Single-Phase Improved Auxiliary Resonant Snubber Inverter that Reduces the Auxiliary Current and THD
- Zhang, Hailin (Department of Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Kou, Baoquan (Department of Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Zhang, He (Department of Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Zhang, Lu (Department of Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.02.07
- Accepted : 2016.06.24
- Published : 2016.11.20
An LC filter is required to reduce the output current ripple in the auxiliary resonant snubber inverter (ARSI) for high-performance applications. However, if the traditional control method is used in the ARSI with LC filter, then unnecessary current flows in the auxiliary circuit. In addressing this problem, a novel load-adaptive control that fully uses the filter inductor current ripple to realize the soft-switching of the main switches is proposed. Compared with the traditional control implemented in the ARSI with LC filter, the proposed control can reduce the required auxiliary current, contributing to higher efficiency and DC-link voltage utilization. In this study, the detailed circuit operation in the light load mode (LLM) and the heavy load mode (HLM) considering the inductor current ripple is described. The characteristics of the improved ARSI are expressed mathematically. A prototype with 200 kHz switching frequency, 80 V DC voltage, and 8 A maximum output current was developed to verify the effectiveness of the improved ARSI. The proposed ARSI was found to successfully operate in the LLM and HLM, achieving zero-voltage switching (ZVS) of the main switches and zero-current switching (ZCS) of the auxiliary switches from zero load to full load. The DC-link voltage utilization of the proposed control is 0.758, which is 0.022 higher than that of the traditional control. The peak efficiency is 91.75% at 8 A output current for the proposed control, higher than 89.73% for the traditional control. Meanwhile, the carrier harmonics is reduced from -44 dB to -66 dB through the addition of the LC filter.
Supported by : National Natural Science of China
- R. M. Schmidt, G. Schitter, J. Eijk, The design of high performance mechatronics. Delft University Press, Chap. 5, 2011.
- A. Charalambous, X. Yuan, N. McNeill, Q. Yan, N. Oswald and P. Mellor, "EMI reduction with a soft-switched auxiliary commutated pole inverter," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 2650-2657, 2015.
- H. Zhu, J. S. Lai, A. R. Hefner, Y. Tang and C. Chen. "Modeling-based examination of conducted EMI emissions from hard and soft-switching PWM inverters," IEEE Trans Ind. Appl. Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 1383-1393, Sep. /Oct. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.952514
- J. S. Lai, R. W. Young, "A delta-configured auxiliary resonant snubber inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 518-525, Jun. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.502162
- J. S. Lai, "Resonant snubber based soft-switching inverters for electric propulsion drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 71-80, Feb. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.557501
- Q. Zhang, D. Zhang, H. Hu, J. Shen, and I. Bartarseh, "Controlled-type ZVS technique without auxiliary components for micro-inverters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 919-927, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.6.919
- J. M. Schellekens, J. L. Duarte, H. Huisman, and M. A. M. Hendrix, "Fast shared current transient response in high-precision interleaved inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3308-3317, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2131683
- W. McMurray, "Resonant snubbers with auxiliary switches," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 355-362, Mar. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.216544
- A. Toba, T. Shimizu, G. Kimura, M. Shioya and S. Sano, "Auxiliary resonant commutated pole inverter using two internal voltage-points of DC source," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 200-206, Apr. 1998.
- W. Yu, J. Lai, and S. Park, "An improved zero-voltage switching inverter using two coupled magnetics in one resonant pole," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 952-961, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2030197
- R. C. Beltrame, J. R. Rakoski Zientarski, M. L. Da Silva Martins, J. R. Pinheiro, and H. L. Hey, "Simplified Zero-Voltage-Transition Circuits Applied to Bidirectional Poles: Concept and Synthesis Methodology," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 1765-1776, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2052834
- J. Lai, W. Yu, P. Sun, S. Leslie, B. Arnet, C. Smith, and A. Cogan, "A Hybrid-Switch-Based Soft-Switching Inverter for Ultrahigh-Efficiency Traction Motor Drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 1966-1973, May/June 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2284296
- J. L. Russi, M. L. Da Silva Martins, and H. L. Hey, "Coupled-Filter-Inductor Soft-Switching Techniques: Principles and Topologies," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 9, pp. 3361-3373, Sep. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.927983
- W. Yu, J. Lai, and S. Park, "An improved zero-voltage switching inverter using two coupled magnetics in one resonant pole," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 952-961, Apr. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2030197
- K. Yi, S. Han, S. Choi, C. Kim, and G. Moon, "A simple ZVZCS sustain driver for a plasma display panel," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 298-306, Oct. 2006.
- H. J. Yu, W. Dong, B. M. Song, and J. Lai, "Variable timing control for coupled-inductor feedback ZVT inverter," in Proc. IEEE International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conf., pp. 1138-1143, 2000.
- B. Kou, H. Zhang and H. Zhang, "A High-precision control for a ZVT PWM soft-switching inverter to eliminate the dead-time effect," Energies, Vol. 9, No. 8, Jul. 2016.
- C. Chan, K. Chau, D. Chan, J. Yao, J.-S. Lai, and Y. Li, "Switching Characteristics and Efficiency Improvement with Auxiliary Resonant Snubber Based Soft-Switching Inverters," IEEE PESC, pp. 429-435, 1998.
- H. Hayama and N. Hoshi, "Adjustable dead-time control scheme for single-phase rectifier with auxiliary resonant snubber circuit," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, pp. 2129-2135, 2011.
- T. Morohoshi, N. Hoshi, and J. Haruna, "Dead-time compensation scheme for adjustable dead-time controlled three-phase resonant snubber inverter," IEEE Annual International Energy Conversion Congress and Exhibition, pp. 836-841, 2013.
- H. Kim and S. Sul, "A novel filter design for output LC filters of PWM inverters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 74-81, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.1.074