- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Novel High Step-Up DC/DC Converter Structure Using a Coupled Inductor with Minimal Voltage Stress on the Main Switch
- Moradzadeh, Majid (Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Tabriz) ;
- Hamkari, Sajjad (Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Tabriz) ;
- Zamiri, Elyas (Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Tabriz) ;
- Barzegarkhoo, Reza (Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Sahand University of Technology (SUT))
- Received : 2016.03.27
- Accepted : 2016.06.24
- Published : 2016.11.20
A high-step-up DC/DC converter for renewable energy systems is proposed. The proposed structure provides high voltage gain by using a coupled inductor without the need for high duty cycles and high turn ratios. The voltage gain is increased through capacitor-charging techniques. In the proposed converter, the energy of the leakage inductors of the coupled inductor is reused. This feature reduces the stress on the switch. Therefore, a switch with low ON-state resistance can be used in the proposed converter to reduce losses and increase efficiency. The main switch is placed in series with the source. Therefore, the converter can control the energy flow from the source to the load. The operating principle is discussed in detail, and a steady state analysis of the proposed converter is conducted. The performance of the proposed converter is verified by experimental results.
- B. Axelrod, Y. Berkovich, and A. fellow, "Switched-capacitor/switched inductor structure for getting transformer less hybrid DC-DC PWM converters," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp.687-696, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.916403
- E. Babaei, M. E. S. Mahmoodieh, H. M. Mahery, K. I. Hwu, and Y. T. Yau, "Operational modes and output-voltage-ripple analysis and design considerations of buck-boost DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 381-391, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2134056
- Q. Li and P. Wolfs, "A review of the single phase photovoltaic module integrated converter topologies with three different dc link configurations," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1320-1333, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.920883
- J. J Bzura, "The ac module: An overview and update on self-contained modular PV systems," Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2010 IEEE, pp. 1-3, 2010.
- T. Shimizu, K. Wada, and N. Nakamura, "Flyback-type single-phase utility interactive inverter with power pulsation decoupling on the dc input for an ac photovoltaic module system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 1264-1272, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.880247
- A. M. Salamah, S. J. Finney, and B. W. Williams, "Single-phase voltage source inverter with a bidirectional buck-boost stage for harmonic injection and distributed generation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 376-387, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2006973
- A. Cid-Pastor, L. Martinez-Salamero, C. Alonso, A. El Aroudi, and H. Valderrama-Blavi, "Power distribution based on gyrators," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 12, pp. 2907-2909, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2023217
- Q. Zhao and F. C. Lee, "High-efficiency, high step-up DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 65-73, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807188
- X. Wu, J. Zhang, X. Ye, and Z. Qian, "Analysis and derivations for a family ZVS converter based on a new active clamp ZVS cell," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 773-781, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907675
- M. Pavlovsky, G. Guidi, and A. Kawamura, "Buck/boost dc-dc converter topology with soft switching in the whole operating region," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 851-862, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2258358
- W. Li and X. He, "Review of nonisolated high-step-up dc/dc converters in photovoltaic grid-connected" IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1239-1250, April 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049715
- J. A. Carr, D. Hotz, J. C. Balda, H. A. Mantooth, A. Ong, and A. Agarwal, "Assessing the impact of SiC MOSFETs on converter interfaces for distributed energy resources," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 260-270, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005500
- N. P. Papanikolaou and E. C. Tatakis, "Active voltage clamp in flyback converters operating in CCM mode under wide load variation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 632-640, Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.825342
- S. D. johnson, "Compartion of resonant topology in high voltage DC application, "IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., pp. 263-274, May 2008.
- J. A. Pamilio, J. B. Pagan, "Resonant high voltage source working at resonance for pulse load application," in Proc. PESC, pp. 1413-1421, 1994.
- T. Nouri, S. H. Hosseini, and E. Babaei, "Analysis of voltage and current stresses of a generalised step-up DC-DC converter," IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 1347-1361, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0496
- C. Y. Inaba, Y. Konishi, and M. Nakaoka, "High frequency PWM controlled step-up chopper type dc-dc power converters with reduced peak switch voltage stress," in Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng.-Elect. Power Appl., Vol. 151, No. 1, pp. 47-52, Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20031059
- T. F. Wu, S. Y. Tseng, J. S. Hu, and Y. M. Chen, "Buck and boost derived converter for livestock/poultry stunning applications," in Proc. APEC, pp. 1530-1536, 2006.
- T. Nouri, E. Babaei, and S. H. Hosseini, "A generalized ultra step-up dc-dc converter for high voltage application with design considerations," Electr Power Syst Res., Vol. 105, pp. 71-84, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2013.07.012
- H. C. Shu, "Design and analysis of a switched-capacitorbased step-up dc/dc converter with continuous input current," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Fundam. Theory Appl., Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 722-730, Jun. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.768828
- Y. Tang, T. Wang, and Y. He, "A switched-capacitor-based active-network converter with high voltage gain," IEEE Trans. Power Electron. Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 2959-2968, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2272639
- B. Axelrod, Y. Berkovich, and A. Ioinovici, "A cascade boost switched-capacitor-converter-two level inverter with an optimized multilevel output waveform," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Vol. 52, No. 12, pp. 2763-2770, Dec. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2005.852205
- B. York, W. Yu, and J. S. Lai, "Hybrid- frequency modulation for PWM-integrated resonant converters," IEEE Trans, Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 985-994, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2201960
- R. -J. Wai, L.-W. Liu, and R.-Y. Duan, "High-efficiency voltage-clamped dc-dc converter with reduced reverse-recovery current and switch-voltage stress," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 272-280, Feb. 2006.
- B. Axelrod, Y. Berkovich, S. Tapuchi, and A. Ioinovici, "Steep conversion ratio cuk, zeta, and sepic converters based on a switched coupled-inductor cell," in Proc. IEEE Power Electron. Spec. Conf., pp. 3009- 3014, 2008.
- L. Sh. Yang, T. J. Liang, H. C. Lee, and J. F. Chen, "Novel high step-up DC-DC converter with coupled-inductor and voltage-doubler circuit," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 9, pp. 4196-4206, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2098360
- Y. Hsieh, J. Chen, T. Liang, and L. Yang, "Novel high step-up DC-DC converter for distributed generation system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 1473-1482, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2107721
- B. York, W. Yu, and J.S. Lai, "An integrated boost resonant converter for photovoltaic applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 1199-1207, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2207127
- W. Y. Choi and J. Y. Choi, "High-efficiency power conditioning system for grid-connected photovoltaic modules," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 561-567, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.4.561
- Z. Dongyan, A. Pietkiewicz, and S. Cuk, "A three-switch high voltage converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 177-183, Jan. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.737606
- T. J. Lin, J. F. Chen, and Y. P. Hsieh, "A novel high step-up dc-dc converter with coupled-inductor," in Proc. IFEEC., pp. 777-782, 2013.
- R.-J. Wai and K.-H. Jheng, "High-efficiency single-input multiple-output DC-DC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron. Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 886-898, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2205272
- S. M. Chen, T. J. Liang, L. S. Yang, and J. F. Chen, "A cascaded high stepup DC-DC converter with single switch for microsource applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 1146-1153, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2090362
- X. Hu and C. Gong, "A high voltage gain dc-dc converter integrating coupled-inductor and diode-capacitor techniques," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 29 No. 2, pp. 789-800, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2257870