- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Input-Constrained Current Controller for DC/DC Boost Converter
- Choi, Woo Jin (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Kim, Seok-Kyoon (Vehicle Component Technology Center, LG Electronics) ;
- Kim, Juyong (Smart Power Distribution Lab, Korea Electric Power) ;
- Lee, Kyo-Beum (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2015.11.14
- Accepted : 2016.07.03
- Published : 2016.11.20
This paper presents a simple input-constrained current controller for a DC/DC boost converter with stability analysis that considers the nonlinearity of the converter model. The proposed controller is designed to satisfy the inherent input constraints of the converter under a physically reasonable assumption, which is the first contribution of this paper. The second contribution is providing a rigorous proof of the proposed control law, which keeps the closed-loop system along with the internal dynamics stable. The performance of the proposed controller is demonstrated through an experiment employing a 20-kW DC/DC boost converter.
Grant : Demonstration Study for Low Voltage Direct Current Distribution Network in an Island
Supported by : KEPCO
- Y. Zhang, J. Liu, X. Ma, and J. Feng, "Comparison of conventional DC-DC converter and a family of diode-assisted DC-DC converter in renewable energy applications," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 203-216, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.2.203
- G. C. Silveira, F. L. Tofoli, L. D. S. Bezerra, and R. P. T. Bascope, "A nonisolated DC-DC boost converter with high voltage gain and balanced output voltage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 12, pp. 6739-6746, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2317136
- C. S. Lee, H. Y. Choi, Y. S. Kim, and N. S. Kim, "A low-power CMOS DC-DC buck converter with on-chip stacked spiral inductor," Microelectronics International : An International Journal, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 38-43, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/13565361111127340
- S. H. Moon, S. T. Jou, and K. B. Lee, "Performance improvement of a bidirectional DC-DC converter for battery chargers using an LCLC filter," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 742-755, Mar. 2015.
- S. W. Seo, H. H. Choi, and Y. Kim, "Takagi-sugeno fuzzy model-based approach to robust control of boost DC-DC converters," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 925-934, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.3.925
- Z. H. Feng, R. X. Gong, and Q. Y. Wang, "Effect of parameters on stability of voltage-fed buck-boost converter in discontinuous conduction mode," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 1283-1289, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.4.1283
- E. Babaei and H. M. Mahery, "Mathemetical modelling and analysis of transient and steady states of buck dc-dc converter in DCM," COMPEL : The international journal for computation and mathematics in electrical and electronic engineering, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 337-363, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1108/03321641311293920
- D. Vinnikov and J. Laugis, "An improved high-voltage IGBT-based half-bridge DC/DC converter for railway applications," COMPEL : The international journal for computation and mathematics in electrical and electronic engineering, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp.280-299, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/03321641111091566
- Y. J. A. Alcazar, D. S. Oliveira, F. L. Tofoli, and R. P. T. Bascope, "DC-DC nonisolated boost converter based on the three-state switching cell and voltage multiplier cells," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 10, pp. 4438-4449, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2213555
- Y. X. Wang, D.-H. Yu, and Y.-B. Kim, "Robust time-delay control for the DC/DC boost converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 9, pp. 4829-4837, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2290764
- R. W. Erickson and D. Maksimovic, Fundamentals of Power Electronics, 2nd Edition, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2001.
- A. G. Perry, G. Feng, Y.-F. Liu, and P. C. Sen, "A design method for PI-like fuzzy logic controllers for DC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2688-2696, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.899858
- W. Stefanutti, P. Mattavelli, S. Saggini, and M. Ghioni, "Autotuning of digitally controlled DC-DC converters based on relay feedback," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 199-207, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.886614
- S. Bibian and H. Jin, "High performance predictive dead-beat digital controller for DC power supplies," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 420-427, May 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.1004250
- J. Gao, T. Q. Zheng, and F. Lin, "Improved deadbeat current controller with a repetitive -control-based observer for PWM rectifiers," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 64-73, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.1.064
- Q. Zhang, R. Min, Q. Tong, X. Zou, Z. Liu, and A. Shen, "Sensorless predictive current controlled DC-DC converter with a self-correction differential current observer," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 12, pp. 6747-6757, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2314062
- D. J. Kim, J. H. Park, and K. B. Lee, "Scheme to improve the line current distortion of PFC using a predictive control algorithm," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 1168-1177, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1168
- M. Salimi, J. Soltani, A. Zakipour, and V. Hajbani, "Sliding mode control of the DC-DC flyback converter with zero steady-state error," Power Electronics, Drive Systems and Technologies Conference (PEDSTC), Feb. 2013.
- C. Piao, C. Jiang, H. Qiao, C. Cho, and S. Lu, "Modeling and implementation of fixed switching frequency sliding mode control to two-stage DC-DC converter," International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 1225-1233, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-013-0206-6
- S. Oucheriah and L. Guo, "PWM-based adaptive sliding-mode control for boost DC/DC converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 3291-3294, Aug. 2013.
- J. L. Flores, A. H. Mendez, C. G. Rodriguez, and H. S. Ramirez, "Robust nonlinear adaptive control of a boost converter via algebraic parameter identification," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 4105-4114, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2284150
- S.-K. Kim and K.-B. Lee, "Robust feedback-linearizing output voltage regulator for DC/DC boost converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, Vol. 62, No. 11, pp.7127-7135, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2443102
- S. K. Kim, S. Y. Son, and Y. I. Lee, "Use of model predictive controller in dual-loop control of three-phase PWM AC/DC converter," International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 340-348, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-013-0278-3
- S. K. Kim, C. R. Park, J. S. Kim, and Y. I. Lee, "A stabilizing model predictive controller for voltage regulation of a DC/DC boost converter," IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 2016-2023, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2013.2296508
- S. K. Kim, J.-S. Kim, C. R. Park, and Y. I. Lee, "Output-feedback model predictive controller for voltage regulation of a DC/DC converter," IET Control Theory & Applications, Vol. 7, No. 16, pp. 1959-1968, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta.2013.0115
- A. G. Beccuti, S. Mariethoz, S. Cliquennois, S. Wang, and M. Morari, "Explicit model predictive control of DC/DC switched-mode power supplies with extended kalman filtering," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 1864-1874, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2015748
- P. Karamanakos, T. Geyer, and S. Manias, "Direct voltage control of DC-DC boost converters using enumerationbased model predictive control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 968-978, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2256370
- H. Rodriguez, R. Ortega, G. Escobar, and N. Barabanov, "A robustly stable output feedback saturated controller for the boost DC-to-DC converter," Systems & Control Letters, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 1-8, May 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6911(99)00113-9