- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
High Ratio Bidirectional DC-DC Converter with a Synchronous Rectification H-Bridge for Hybrid Energy Sources Electric Vehicles
- Zhang, Yun (School of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Tianjin University) ;
- Gao, Yongping (School of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Tianjin University) ;
- Li, Jing (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Nottingham) ;
- Sumner, Mark (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Nottingham) ;
- Wang, Ping (School of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Tianjin University) ;
- Zhou, Lei (School of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Tianjin University)
- Received : 2016.03.03
- Accepted : 2016.08.04
- Published : 2016.11.20
In order to match the voltages between high voltage battery stacks and low voltage super-capacitors with a high conversion efficiency in hybrid energy sources electric vehicles (HESEVs), a high ratio bidirectional DC-DC converter with a synchronous rectification H-Bridge is proposed in this paper. The principles of high ratio step-down and step-up operations are analyzed. In terms of the bidirectional characteristic of the H-Bridge, the bidirectional synchronous rectification (SR) operation is presented without any extra hardware. Then the SR power switches can achieve zero voltage switching (ZVS) turn-on and turn-off during dead time, and the power conversion efficiency is improved compared to that of the diode rectification (DR) operation, as well as the utilization of power switches. Experimental results show that the proposed converter can operate bidirectionally in the wide ratio range of 3~10, when the low voltage continuously varies between 15V and 50V. The maximum efficiencies are 94.1% in the Buck mode, and 93.6% in the Boost mode. In addition, the corresponding largest efficiency variations between SR and DR operations are 4.8% and 3.4%. This converter is suitable for use as a power interface between the battery stacks and super-capacitors in HESEVs.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- K. Li, T. Chen, Y. Luo, and J. Wang, "Intelligent environment-friendly vehicles: Concept and case studies," IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst., Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 318-328, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2011.2170680
- A. Y. Saber and G. K. Venayagamoorthy, "Efficient utilization of renewable energy sources by gridable vehicles in cyber-physical energy systems," IEEE Syst. J., Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 285-294, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSYST.2010.2059212
- A. Gholami, J. Ansari, M. Jamei, and A. Kazemi, "Environmental/economic dispatch incorporating renewable energy sources and plug-in vehicles," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol. 8, No. 12, pp. 2183-2198, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2014.0235
- J. X. Jin, X. Y. Chen, and L. Wen, S. C. Wang, and Y. Xin, "Cryogenic power conversion for SMES application in a liquid hydrogen powered fuel cell electric vehicle," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 25, No. 1, article #. 5700111, Feb. 2015.
- K. Maalej, S. Kelouwani,and K. Agbossou, Y. Dube, and N. Henao, "Long-trip optimal energy planning with online mass estimation for battery electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 64, No. 11, pp. 4929-4941, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2014.2376700
- A. Y. Saber and G. K. Venayagamoorthy, "Plug-in vehicles and renewable energy sources for cost and emission reductions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1229-1238, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2047828
- U. R. Prasanna, X. Pan, A. K. Rathore, and K. Rajashekara, "Propulsion system architecture and power conditioning topologies for fuel cell vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 640-650, Jan./Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2331464
- A. Tani, M. B. Camara, and Brayima Dakyo, and Y. Azzouz, "DC/DC and DC/AC converters control for hybrid electric vehicles energy management-ultracapacitors and fuel cell," IEEE Trans. Ind. Inf., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 686-696, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2225632
- J. Ko, S. Ko, and H. Son, B. Yoo, J. Cheon, and H. Kim, "Development of brake system and regenerative braking cooperative control algorithm for automatic-transmission-based hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 64, No. 2, pp. 431-440, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2014.2325056
- X. Nian, F. Peng, and H. Zhang, "Regenerative braking system of electric vehicle driven by brushless DC motor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 10, pp. 5798-5808, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2300059
- J. P. F. Trovao, V. D. N. Santos, and C. H. Antunes, P. . Pereirinha, and H. M. Jorge, "A real-time energy management architecture for multisource electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 3223-3233, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2376883
- A. Kuperman, I. Aharon, S. Malki, and A. Kara, "Design of a semiactive battery-ultracapacitor hybrid energy source," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 806-815, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2203361
- P. Thounghong, B. Davat, and S. Rael, "Drive friendly," IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 69-76, Jan./Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPAE.2008.4412942
- Z. Amjadi and S. S. Williamson, "Digital control of a bidirectional DC/DC switched capacitor converter for hybrid electric vehicle energy storage system applications," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 158-166, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2264489
- G. Su and L. Tang, "A multiphase, modular, bidirectional, triple-voltage DC-DC converter for hybrid and fuel cell vehicle power systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 3035-3046, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005386
- T. Bhattacharya, V. S. Giri, K. Mathew, and L. Umanand, "Multiphase bidirectional flyback converter topology for hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 78-84, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2004661
- A. Purwadi, K. A. Nugroho, A. Rizqiawan, and P. A. Dahono, "A new approach to synthesis of static power converters," in Conf. ICEEI 2009, pp. 627-632, 2009.
- A. Purwadi, K. A. Nugroho, F. Sasongko, K. F. Sutrisna, and P. A. Dahono, "Performance evaluation and control technique of large ratio DC-DC converter," in Conf. ICEEI 2009, pp. 633-639, 2009.