- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Input Impedances of PWM DC-DC Converters: Unified Analysis and Application Example
- Pidaparthy, Syam Kumar (School of Electronics Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Choi, Byungcho (School of Electronics Engineering, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2016.05.12
- Accepted : 2016.08.12
- Published : 2016.11.20
The input impedances of pulse width modulated (PWM) dc-to-dc converters, which dictate the outcomes of the dynamic interaction between dc-to-dc converters and their source subsystem, are analyzed in a general and unified manner. The input impedances of three basic PWM dc-to-dc converters are derived with both voltage mode control and current mode control. This paper presents the analytical expressions of the 24 input impedances of three basic PWM dc-to-dc converters with the two different control schemes in a factorized time-constant form. It also provides a comprehensive reference for future dynamic interaction analyses requiring knowledge of the converters' input impedances. The theoretical predictions of the paper are all supported by measurements on prototype dc-to-dc converters. The use of the presented results is demonstrated via a practical application example, which analyzes the small-signal dynamics of an input-filter coupled current-mode controlled buck converter. This elucidates the theoretical background for the previously-reported eccentric behavior of the converter.
Supported by : IITP (Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion)
- Riccobono and E. Santi, "Comprehensive review of stability criteria for dc power distribution systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 5, p. 3525-3535, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2309800
- S. Vesti, T. Suntio, J. Oliver, R. Prieto, and J. Cobos, "Effect of control method on impedance-based interactions in a buck converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 5311-5322, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2247422
- R. D. Middlebrook, "Input filter considerations in design and application of switching regulators." IEEE-IAS Annu. Meeting, pp. 366-382, 1976.
- S. Erich and W. Polivka, "Input filter design criteria for current-programmed regulators," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 143-151, Jan. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.124587
- Y. Jang and R. Erickson, "Physical origins of input filter oscillations in current programmed converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 725-733, Oct. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.163651
- B. Choi, D. Kim, D. Lee, S. Choi, and J. Sun, "Analysis of input filter interactions in switching power converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 452-460, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.889925
- D. Kim, B. Choi, D. Lee, and J. Sun, "Dynamics of current mode-controlled dc-to-dc converters with input filter stage," in Proc. PESC '05, pp. 2648-2656, Jun. 2005.
- M. Kazimierczuk and I. Cravens, R., "Input impedance of closed-loop PWM buck-boost dc-dc converter for CCM," in Proc. IEEE ISCAS '95., Vol. 3, pp. 2047-2050, 1995,
- S. Kriventsov and J. Mayer, "An exact expression for the input impedance of the buck converter in continuous conduction mode," in Proc. IEEE 32nd PESC. 2001 Annu., vol. 1, pp. 351-356, 2001.
- D. Kim, D. Son, and B. Choi, "Input impedance analysis of PWM dc-to-dc converters," in Proc. IEEE 21st Annu. APEC '06, pp. 1339-1346, Mar. 2006.
- S. K. Pidaparthy and B. Choi, "Designing control loop for PWM converters in dc-to-dc power conversion systems," in Proc. IEEE 40th Annu. IECON 2014, pp. 5094-5100, Oct. 2014.
- S. K. Pidaparthy and B. Choi,"Control design and loop gain analysis of dc-to-dc converters intended for general load subsystems," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2015, 2015.
- R. Middlebrook, V. Vorperian, and J. Lindal, "The n extra element theorem," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I Fundam. Theory Appl., Vol. 45, No. 9, pp. 919-935, Sep. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.721258
- V. Vorp'erian, Fast Analytical Techniques for Electrical and Electronic Circuits. Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- B. Choi, Pulsewidth Modulated DC-to-DC Power Conversion: Circuits, Dynamics, and Control Designs. John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
- R. W. Erickson and D. Maksimovic, Fundamentals of Power Electronics, Springer Science & Business Media, 2001.
- R. Middlebrook, "Modeling current-programmed buck and boost regulators," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 36-52, Jan. 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.21871
- B. Choi, J. Kim, B. Cho, S. Choi, and C. Wildrick, "Designing control loop for dc-to-dc converters loaded with unknown ac dynamics," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 925-932, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801249
- F. Tan and R. Middlebrook, "A unified model for current programmed converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 397-408, Jul. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.391937
- V. Vorperian, "Simplified analysis of PWM converters using model of PWM switch continuous conduction mode," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 490-496, May 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.106126
- Stabilizing Effects of Load Subsystem in Multistage DC-to-DC Power Conversion Systems vol.5, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2707093