- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Implementation of One-Cycle Control for Switched Capacitor Converters
- Yang, Lei (School of Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University) ;
- Zhang, Xiaobin (School of Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University) ;
- Li, Guann-pyng (Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California)
- Received : 2016.05.29
- Accepted : 2016.08.29
- Published : 2016.11.20
An extension of the one-cycle control (OCC) method for switched-capacitor (SC) converters is proposed in this paper, featuring a fast dynamic response, wide line and load operation ranges, and simplicity in implementation. To illustrate the operation principle of this nonlinear control method and to demonstrate its simplicity in design, a dual-phase unity gain SC converter is examined. A new control loop based on the charge balance in a flying capacitor is formulated for the OCC technique and implemented with a 15W dual-phase unity gain SC converter on a circuit board for control verification. The obtained experimental results show that external disturbances can be rejected in one switching cycle by the OCC controlled SC converter with good line and load regulations. When compared to other control methods, the proposed nonlinear control loop exhibits superior dynamic performance in suppressing input and load disturbances.
- Y. Lei and R. C. N. Pilawa-Podgurski, "A general method for analyzing resonant and soft-charging operation of switched-capacitor converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 10, pp. 5650-5664, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2377738
- S. Xiong, S.-C. Wong, S.-C. Tan, and C. K. Tse, "A family of exponential stepdown switched-capacitor converters and their applications in two-stage converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1870-1880, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2270290
- J. C. M. Maldonado, J. C. R. Caro, and P. Rapisarda, "Modeling approaches for DC-DC converters with switched capacitors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 953-959, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2353013
- B. Wu, S. Keyue, and S. Sigmond, "A new 3X interleaved bidirectional switched capacitor converter," in 29th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1433-1439, Mar. 2014.
- H.-K. Kwan, D. C. W. Ng, and V. W. K. So, "Design and analysis of dual-mode digital-control step-up switchedcapacitor power converter with pulse-skipping and numerically controlled oscillator-based frequency modulation," IEEE Trans. Very Large Scale Integr. (VLSI) Syst., Vol. 21, No. 11, pp. 2132-2140, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVLSI.2012.2227150
- L. Fu, X. Zhang, F. Guo, and J. Wang, "A phase shift controlled current-fed quasi-switched-capacitor isolated dc/dc converter with GaN HEMTs for photovoltaic applications," in IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition(APEC), pp. 191-198, Mar. 2015.
- E. Jayashree and G. Uma., "State- space averaging, closed loop analysis, and stability studies of a step up positive output switched-capacitor dc-dc converter," in IET-UK International Conference on Information and Communication Technology in Electrical Sciences (ICTES), pp. 185-189, Dec. 2007.
- S.-C. Tan, S. Bronstein, Y. M. Moshe, A. Ioinovici, and C. K. Tse, "Nonlinear control of switched - capacitor converter using sliding mode control approach", in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 372-377, Jun. 2008.
- S.-C. Tan, S. Bronstein, M. Nur, Y. M. Lai, A. Ioinovici, and C. K. Tse, "Variable structure modeling and design of switched-capacitor converters," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 56, No. 9, pp. 2132-2142, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.2010149
- S.-C. Tan, S. Kiratipongvoot, S. Bronstein, A. Ioinovich, Y. M. Lai, and C. K. Tse, "Adaptive mixed on-time and switching frequency control of a system of interleaved switched capacitor converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 364-380, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2060497
- S. Kiratipongvoot, S.-C. Tan, and A. Ioinovici, "Phase-shift interleaving control of variable-phase switched-capacitor converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 12, pp. 5575-5584, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2232259
- K. M. Smedley and S. Cuk, "One-cycle control of switching converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 625-633, Nov. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.471281
- V. Nimesh and V. John, "Dual comparison one cycle control for single phase AC to DC converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 3267-3278, Jul./Aug. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2016.2555903
- A. A. D. M. Bento, P. K. P. Vieira, and E. R. C. da Silva, "Application of the one-cycle control technique to a three-phase three-level NPC rectifier," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 1177-1184, Mar./Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2279901
- E. S. Sreeraj, E. K. Prejith, K. Chatterjee, and S. Bandyopadhyay, "An active harmonic filter based on one-cycle control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3799-3809, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2286558
- M. Tedde and K. Smedley, "Anti-islanding for three-phase one-cycle control grid tied inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 3330-3345, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2278792
- E. S. Sreeraj, K. Chatterjee, and S. Bandyopadhyay, "One cycle controlled single-stage, single-phase voltage sensorless grid-connected PV system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 1216-1224, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2191755
- D. Yang, M. Yang, and X. Ruan, "One-cycle control for a double input DC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4646-4655, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2164582
- T. Sheng, X. Wang, J. Zhang, and Z. Deng, "Torque-ripple mitigation for brushless DC machine drive system using one-cycle average torque control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 4, pp. 2114-2122, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2351377
- D. Ma, J. Wang, and P. Vozqua, "Adaptive on-chip power supply with robust one-cycle control technique," in Proceedings of the 2006 International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design (ISLPED), Oct. 2006.
- D. V. Ghodke, K. Chatterjee, and B. G. Fernandes, "Modified one-cycle controlled bidirectional high-power-factor ac-to-dc converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2459-2472, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.921671
- T. Jin and K. M. Smedley, "Operation of one-cycle controlled three-phase active power filter with unbalanced source and load," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 1403-1412, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.880264
- B. Wu, L. Wang, L. Yang, K. Smedley, and S. Singer, "Comparative analysis of steady-state models for switched capacitor converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. PP, No. 99, Mar. 2016.
- B. Wu, S. Li, K. M. Smedley, and S. Singer, "Analysis of high power switched capacitor converter regulation based on charge-balance transient-calculation method," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 3482-3494, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2466095
- Y. Ye and K. W. E. Cheng, "Voltage-gap modeling method for single stage switched-capacitor converters," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 808-813, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2014.2358229