- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Novel Modulation Scheme and a DC-Link Voltage Balancing Control Strategy for T-Type H-Bridge Cascaded Multilevel Converters
- Wang, Yue (College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University) ;
- Hu, Yaowei (College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University) ;
- Chen, Guozhu (College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2015.06.25
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.11.20
The cascaded multilevel converter is widely adopted to medium/high voltage and high power electronic applications due to the small harmonic components of the output voltage and the facilitation of modularity. In this paper, the operation principle of a T-type H-bridge topology is investigated in detail, and a carrier phase shifted pulse width modulation (CPS-PWM) based control method is proposed for this topology. Taking a virtual five-level waveform achieved by a unipolar double frequency CPS-PWM as the output object, PWM signals of the T-type H-bridge can be obtained by reverse derivation according to its switching modes. In addition, a control method for the T-type H-bridge based cascaded multilevel converter is introduced. Then a single-phase T-type H-bridge cascaded multilevel static var generator (SVG) prototype is built, and a repetitive controller based compound current control strategy is designed with the DC-link voltage balancing control scheme analyzed. Finally, simulation and experimental results validate the correctness and feasibility of the proposed modulation method and control strategy for T-type H-bridge based cascaded multilevel converters.
- J. S. Lai and F. Z. Peng, "Multilevel converters - A new breed of power converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 509-517, May/Jun. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.502161
- B. P. McGrath and D. G. Holmes, "Multilevel PWM strategies for multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 858-867, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801073
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, B. Wu, J. O. Pontt, and S. Kouro, "Multilevel voltage-source-converters topologies for industrial medium-voltage drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2930-2945, Dec. 2007.
- M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Rodriguez, and M. A. Perez, "A survey on cascaded multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2197-2206, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2030767
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Pou, L. G. Franquelo, B. Wu, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, "Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2553-2580, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049719
- G. Garrara, S. Gardella, M. Marchesoni, R. Salutari, and G. Sciutto, "A new multilevel PWM method: A theoretical analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 495-505, Jul. 1992.
- R. Naderi and A. Rahmati, "Phase-shifted carrier PWM technique for general cascaded inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1257-1269, May. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.921186
- P. Roshankumar, R. P. Rajeevan, K. Mathew, K. Gopakumar, J. I. Leon, and L. J. Franquelo, "A five-level inverter topology with single DC-supply by cascading a flying capacitor inverter and an H-bridge," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 3505-3512, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2185714
- H. Akagi, "Classification, terminology, and application of the modular multilevel cascade converter (MMCC)," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3119-3130, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2143431
- Y. Wang, K. Yang, and G. Chen, "Implementation of a no pulse competition CPS-SPWM technique based on the concentrated control for cascaded multilevel DSTATCOMs," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 1139-1146, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.6.1139
- G. Ceglia, V. Guzman, C. Sanchez, F. Ibanez, J. Walter, and M. I. Gimenez, "A new simplified multilevel inverter topology for DC-DC conversion," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 1311-1319, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.880303
- J. Ebrahimi, E. Babaei, and G. B. Gharehpetian, "A new multilevel converter topology with reduced number of power electronics components," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 655-667, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2151813
- J. Itoh, Y. Noge, and T. Adachi, "A novel five-level three-phase PWM rectifier with reduced switch count," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 2221-2228, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2090900
- R. Teichmann and S. Bernet, "A comparison of three-level converters versus two-level converters for low-voltage drives, traction, and utility applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 855-865, May/Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.847285
- T. D. Nguyen, D. Q. Phan, D. N. Dao, and H. Lee, "Carrier phase-shift PWM to reduce common-mode voltage for three-level T-type NPC inverters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 1197-1207, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.6.1197
- P. Alemi, Y. Jeung, and D. Lee, "DC-link capacitance minimization in T-type three-level AC/DC/AC PWM converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 1382-1391, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2345354
- U. Choi, F. Blaabjerg, and K. Lee, "Reliability improvement of a T-type three-level inverter with fault-tolerant control strategy," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 2660-2763, May. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2325891
- M. Schweizer and J. W. Kolar, "Design and implementation of a highly efficient three-level T-type converter for low-voltage applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 899-907, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2203151
- S. J. Park, F. S. Kang, M. H. Lee, and C. Kim, "A new single-phase five-level PWM inverter employing a deadbeat control scheme," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 831-843, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810837
- X. Sun, L. Sun, Y. Zhang, and E. Kang, "Topology and PWM control method of a novel voltage-source inverter," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 75-81, Jul. 2008.
- Y. Zhang, L. Sun, F. Wu, and K. Sun, "Carriers-staggered SPWM control method based on a five-switch five-level inverter," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 101-106, Feb. 2010.
- R. Costa-Castello and R. Grino, "Odd-harmonic digital repetitive control of a single-phase current active filter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 8, pp. 1060-1068, Jul. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.830045
- H. Akagi, S. Inoue, and T. Yoshii, "Control and performance of a transformerless cascade PWM STATCOM with star configuration," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 1041-1049, Jul./Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2007.900487