- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Selection of Voltage Vectors in Three-Level Five-Phase Direct Torque Control for Performance Improvement
- Tatte, Yogesh N. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology) ;
- Aware, Mohan V. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2015.12.15
- Accepted : 2016.07.01
- Published : 2016.11.20
This paper presents a Direct Torque Control (DTC) strategy for the five-phase induction motor driven by a three-level five-phase inverter in order to improve the performance of the five-phase induction motor. In the proposed DTC technique, only 22 voltage vectors out of 243 available voltage vectors in a three-level five-phase inverter are selected and are divided in 10 sectors each with a width of
- I. Takahashi and T. Noguchi, "A new quick response and high efficiency control strategy of an induction motor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-22, No. 5, pp. 820-827, Sep./Oct. 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1986.4504799
- D. Casadei, G. Serra, and A. Tani, "Analytical investigation of torque and flux ripple in DTC schemes for induction motors," in 23rd International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation (IECON), Nov. 1997.
- J. K. Kang and S. K. Sul, "New direct torque control of induction motor for minimum torque ripple and constant switching frequency," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 1076-1082, Sep./Oct. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.793368
- K. K. Shyu, J. K. Lin, V. T. Pham, M. J. Yang, and T. W. Wang, "Global minimum torque ripple design for direct torque control of induction motor drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. Vol. 57, No. 9, pp. 3148-3156, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2038401
- D. Telford, M. W. Dunnigan, and B. W. Williams, "A novel torque-ripple reduction strategy for direct torque control of induction motor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 867-870, Aug. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.937422
- T. Noguchi, M. Yamamptp, S. Kondo, and I. Takahashi, "High frequency switching operation of PWM inverter for direct torque control of induction motor," in IEEE Industry Application Society Annual Meeting, Oct. 1997.
- N. R. N. Idris and A. H. M. Yatim, "Reduced torque ripple and constant switching frequency strategy for direct torque control of induction machine," in 15th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Feb. 2000.
- A. Jidin, N. R. N. Idris, A. H. M. Yatim, T. Sutikno, and M. E. Elbuluk, "Extending switching frequency for torque ripple reduction utilizing a constant frequency torque controller in DTC of induction motors," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 148-155, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.2.148
- S. Arumugam and M. Thathan, "Novel switching table for direct torque controlled permanent magnet synchronous motors to reduce torque ripple," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 939-954, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.6.939
- K. B. Lee, J. H. Song, I. Choy, and J. Y. Yoo, "Torque ripple reduction in DTC of induction motor driven by three-level inverter with low switching frequency," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 255-263, Mar. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.988836
- K. B. Lee, J. H. Song, I. Choy, and J. Y. Yoo, "Improvement of low speed operation performance of DTC for three-level inverter fed induction motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 5, pp. 1006-1014, Oct. 2001.
- E. Levi, "Multiphase electric machines for variable-speed applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 1893-1909, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918488
- H. A. Toliyat, H. Xu, and L. J. Peterson, "DSP-based direct torque control (DTC) for five-phase induction machines," IEEJ Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 121, No. 12, pp. 1256-1262, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejias.121.1256
- L. Zheng, J. E. Fletcher, B. W. Williams, and X. He, "A novel direct torque control scheme for a sensorless five-phase induction motor drive," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 503-513, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2047830
- L. Gao, J. E. Fletcher, and L. Zheng, "Low speed control improvements for a 2-level 5-phase inverter-fed induction machine using classic direct torque control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 7, pp. 2744-2754, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2070775
- J. A. Riveros, F. Barrero, E. Levi, M. J. Duran, S. Toral, and M. Jones, "Variable-speed five-phase induction motor drive based on predictive torque control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 2957-2968, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2198034
- S. Lu and K. Corzine, "Direct torque control of five-phase induction motor using space vector modulation with harmonics elimination and optimal switching sequence," in 21st Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Mar. 2006.
- M. H. Kim, N. H. Kim, and W. S. Baik, "A five-phase induction motor speed control system excluding effects of 3rd current harmonics component," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 294-303, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.3.294
- N. H. Kim and M. H. Kim, "Modified direct torque control system of five phase induction motor," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 266-271, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2009.4.2.266
- Y. Ren and Z. Q. Zhu, "Reduction of both harmonic current and torque ripple for dual three-phase permanent-magnet synchronous machine using modified switching-table-based direct torque control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 11, pp. 6671-6683, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2448511
- Y. Ren and Z. Q. Zhu, "Enhancement of steady-state performance in direct-torque-controlled dual three-phase permanent-magnet synchronous machine drives with modified switching table," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 6, pp. 3338-3350, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2376881
- L. Gao and J. E. Fletcher, "A space vector switching strategy for three-level five-phase inverter drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2332-2343, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2033087
- Q. Song, X. Zhang, F. Yu, and C. Zhang, "Research on space vector PWM of five-phase three-level inverter," in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), Sep. 2005.
- B. Sakthisudhursun, J. K. Pandit, and M. V. Aware, "Simplified three-level five-phase SVPWM," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 2429-2436, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2439700
- S. Payami, R. K. Behera, A. Iqbal, and R. Al-Ammari, "Common-mode voltage and vibration mitigation of a five-phase three-level NPC inverter-fed induction motor drive system," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 349-361, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2014.2313153
- N. Bodo, O. Dordevic, M. Jones, and E. Levi, "A comparison of three-level single-sided and dual-inverter supply for a five-phase drive," in 15th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE/PEMC), Sep. 2012.