- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Sensorless Scheme for Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors with a Wide Speed Control Range
- Hong, Chan-Hee (Division of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Ju (Division of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Dong-Myung (School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hongik University)
- Received : 2016.04.23
- Accepted : 2016.07.04
- Published : 2016.11.20
Permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSMs) have higher torque and superior output power per volume than other types of AC motors. They are commonly used for applications that require a large output power and a wide range of speed. For precise control of PMSMs, knowing the accurate position of the rotor is essential, and normally position sensors such as a resolver or an encoder are employed. On the other hand, the position sensors make the driving system expensive and unstable if the attached sensor malfunctions. Therefore, sensorless algorithms are widely researched nowadays, to reduce the cost and cope with sensor failure. This paper proposes a sensorless algorithm that can be applied to a wide range of speed. The proposed method features a robust operation at low-speed as well as high-speed ranges by employing a gain adjustment scheme and intermittent voltage pulse injection method. In the proposed scheme the position estimation gain is tuned by a closed loop manner to have stable operation in tough driving environment. The proposed algorithm is fully verified by various experiments done with a 1 kW outer rotor-type PMSM.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- D. M. Lee, "Position estimator employing Kalman filter for PM motors driven with Binary-type Hall sensors," J. Elec. Eng. & Tech., Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 931-938, Jul. 2016. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.4.931
- D. M. Lee, D. C. Lim, and H. J. Ahn, "Position linearisation scheme for permanent magnet synchronous motor drive of washing machine using low-resolution hall sensors," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 22, pp. 1765-1767, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2015.1878
- X. Song, J. Fang, B. Han, and S. Zheng, "Adaptive compensation method for high-speed surface PMSM sensorless drives of EMF-based position estimation error," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 1438-1449, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2423319
- C. X. Chen, Y. X. Xie, and Y. H. Lan, "Backstepping control of speed sensorless permanent magnet synchronous motor based on slide model observer," Inter. Journal of Automation and Computing, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp 149-155, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11633-015-0881-2
- Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and L. Wu, "Dead-time effect analysis and compensation for a sliding-mode position observer-based sensorless IPMSM control System," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 2528-2535, May/Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2372094
- M. Seilmeie and B. Piepenbreier, "Sensorless control of PMSM for the whole speed range using two-degree of freedom current control and HF test current injection for low-speed range," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 8, pp. 4394-4403, Aug. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2353215
- Z. Zheng, Y. Li, X. Xiao, and M. Fadel, "Mechanical sensorless control of SPMSM based on HF signal injection and Kalman filter electrical machines and systems," ICEMS, pp. 1385-1390, 2008.
- O. A. Mohammed, A. A. Khan, A. M. El-Tallawy, A. Nejadpak, and M. J. Roberts, "A wavelet filtering scheme for noise and vibration reduction in high-frequency signal injection-based sensorless control of PMSM at low speed," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 250-260, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2011.2181995
- Y. Kano, T. Kosaka, N. Matsui, T. Takahashi, and M. Fujitsuna, "Signal-injection-based sensorless IPM traction drive for wide-torque range operation at low speed," ECCE, pp. 2284-2291, 2012.
- J. M. Liu and Z. Q. Zhu, "Novel sensorless control strategy with injection of high-frequency pulsating carrier signal into stationary reference frame," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 2574-2583, Jul./Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2293000
- C. H. Choi and J. K. Seok, "Pulsating signal injection-based sensorless control of PMSM using injection axis switching scheme without additional offline commissioning test," IAS Annual Meeting, pp. 2365-2370, 2007.
- A. Piippo, M. Hinkkanen, and J. Luomi, "Sensorless control of PMSM drives using a combination of voltage model and HF signal injection," IAS Annual Meeting, pp. 964-970, Vol.2, 2004.
- H. Zhu, X. Xiao, and Y. Li, "A simplified high frequency injection method for PMSM sensorless control," IPEMC, pp. 401-405, 2009.
- W. Limei and G. Qinging, "Principles and implementation of permanent magnet synchronous motor zero-speed sensorless control advanced motion control," Inter. Workshop on Advanced Motor Control, pp. 247-250, 2002.
- R. Mizutani, T. Takeshita, and N. Matsui, "Current model-based sensorless drives of salient-pole PMSM at low speed and standstill," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 841-846, Jul./Aug. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.703990
- N. Matsui, "Sensorless PM Brushless DC motor drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 300-308, Apr. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.491354
- Y. S. Jeong, R. D. Lorenz, T. M. Jahns, and S. K. Sul, "Initial rotor position estimation of an interior permanent-magnet synchronous machine using carrier-frequency injection methods," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 38-45, Jan./Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.840978