- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Power Management of Open Winding PM Synchronous Generator for Unbalanced Voltage Conditions
- EL-Bardawil, Ashraf (Electrical Power & Control, Arab Academy for Science, Technology, and Maritime Transport) ;
- Moussa, Mona Fouad (Electrical Power & Control, Arab Academy for Science, Technology, and Maritime Transport)
- Received : 2016.02.14
- Accepted : 2016.07.27
- Published : 2016.11.20
Wind energy is currently the fastest-growing electricity source worldwide. The cost efficiency of wind generators must be high because these generators have to compete with other energy sources. In this paper, a system that utilizes an open-winding permanent-magnet synchronous generator is studied for wind-energy generation. The proposed system controls generated power through an auxiliary voltage source inverter. The VA rating of the auxiliary inverter is only a fraction of the system-rated power. An adjusted control system, which consists of two main parts, is implemented to control the generator power and the grid-side converter. This paper introduces a study on the effect of unbalanced voltages for the wind-generation system. The proposed system is designed and simulated using MATLAB/Simulink software. Theoretical and experimental results verify the validity of the proposed system to achieve the power management requirements for balanced and unbalanced voltage conditions of the grid.
- D. Pan and T. A. Lipo, "Series compensated open-winding PM generator wind generation system," 15th International Power Electronics and Motion Control, EPE-PEMC, 2012.
- B. Wu, Y. Lang, N. Zargari, and S. Kouro, Power Conversion and Control of Wind Energy Systems, Wiley-IEEE Press, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2011.
- Y. G. Dessouky, "Journal of renewable energy and sustainable development," Renewable Energy and Sustainable Development, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-2, Aug. 2015. Available at: http://apc.aast.edu/ojs/index.php/RESD/article/view/01.1.001. Date accessed: 27 Oct. 2016.
- Z. Chen, J. M. Guerrero, and F. Blaabjerg, "A review of the state of the art of power electronics for wind turbines," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol.24, No.8, pp.1859-1875, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2017082
- J. A. Baroudi, V. Dinavahi, and A. M. Knight, "A review of power converter topologies for wind generators," Electric Machines and Drives, 2005 IEEE International Conference on., pp. 458-465, 2005.
- M. F. Moussa, Y. G. Dessouky, and B. W. Williams, "Control strategy of a 6 MVA series connected synchronous generator for wind power," IET Renewable Power Generation Conference, RPG 2011 of the IET, 2011.
- A. Singer and W. Hofmann, "Static synchronous series compensation applied to small wind energy conversion system," Power Electronics and Applications, European Conference on, pp. 1-9, 2007.
- T. Takaku, G. Homma, T. Isober, S. Igarashi, Y. Uchida, and R. Shimada, "Improved wind power conversion system using magnetic energy recovery switch (MERS)," Industry Applications Conference,. Fourtieth IAS Annual Meeting. Conference Record of the 2005, Vol. 3, pp. 2007-2012, Oct. 2005.
- B. Meghni, N. K. M'Sirdi, and A. Saadoun, "Maximum power tracking by VSAS approach for wind turbine, renewable energy sources," Academy Publishing Center, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 23-29, 2015.
- M. B. Smida and A..Sakly, "Pitch angle control for variable speed wind turbines," Academy Publishing Center, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp 81-88, 2015.
- R. Swisher, C. R. DeAzua, and J. Clendenin, "Strong winds on the horizon: Wind power comes of age," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 89, No. 12, pp. 1754-1764, Dec. 2001.
- D. Thakur, "Power Management Strategies for a Wind Energy Source in an Isolated Microgrid and Grid Connected System," University of Western Ontario - Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Repository, pp. 5-10, May 2015.
- R. A. Ibrahim, M. F. Moussa, Y. G. Dessouky, and B.W. Williams, "Parameters determination of grid connected interior permanent magnet synchronous generator," EPE-PEMC ECCE Europe - 15th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference and Exposition, 2012.
- A. Camacho, M. Castilla, J. Miret, and A. Borrell, "Reactive power control for distributed generation power plants to comply with voltage limits during grid faults," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 6224-6234, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2301463
- D. Graovac, V. A. Kati, and A. Rufer, "Power quality problems compensation with universal power quality conditioning system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 968-976, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.883027
- M. F. Moussa and Y. G. Dessouky, "Design and control of a diode clamped multilevel wind energy system using a stand-alone AC-DC-AC converter," Sustainability in Energy and Buildings conference, 2012.
- F. Wang, J. L. Duarte, and M. A. M. Hendrix, "Grid interfacing converter systems with enhanced voltage quality for micro grid application - Concept and Implementation," IEEE Trans Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 3501-3513, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2147334
- J. Miret, A. Camacho, M. Castilla, and J. Matas, "Control scheme with voltage support capability for distributed generation inverters under voltage sags," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 5252-5263, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2246190
- J. Miret, A. Camacho, M. Castilla, and J. Matas, "Voltage support control strategies for static synchronous compensators under unbalanced voltage sags," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 808-820, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2257141
- R. A. Ibrahim, M. S. Hamad, Y. G. Dessouky, and B. W. Williams, "A review on recent low voltage ride-through solutions of wind farm for permanent magnet synchronous generator," SPEEDAM International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, 2012.
- O. Elbeji, M. B. Hamed, and L. Sbita, "PMSG wind energy conversion system: Modelling and control," International Journal of Modern Nonlinear Theory and Application, pp. 88-97, Mar. 2014.
- A. T. Sohi, S. Javadi, and S. Z. Moussavi, "Energy management and power control for a grid-connected PMSG wind energy conversion system with extra function of harmonic elimination for local nonlinear loads," Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 13-21, Ver. I, Nov./Dec. 2014.