- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A New Maximum Inductive Power Transmission Capacity Tracking Method
- Ameri, Mohammad Hassan (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University) ;
- Varjani, Ali Yazdian (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University) ;
- Mohamadian, Mustafa (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University)
- Received : 2015.08.20
- Accepted : 2016.03.28
- Published : 2016.11.20
In certain applications, such as IPT-based EV charger (IPTEC), any variation in alignment and distance between pickup and charger primary leads to a change in leakage and magnetic impedance magnitudes. The power transmission capacity is not always at the maximum level because of these variations. This study proposes a new low-cost tracking method that achieves the Maximum Inductive Power Transmission Capacity (MIPTC). Furthermore, in the proposed method, the exchange of information between load and source is not required. For an application such as IPTEC, the load detected by the IPTEC varies continuously with time because of the change in state of the charge. This load variation causes a significant variation in IPT resonant circuit voltage gain. However, the optimized charging output voltage should be kept constant. From the analysis of the behavior of the IPT circuit at different working frequencies and load conditions, a MIPTC operation point that is independent of load condition can be identified. Finally, the experimental results of a developed prototype IPT circuit test show the performance of the proposed method.
- M. Pinuela, D. C. Yates, S. Lucyszyn, and P. D. Mitcheson, "Maximizing DC-to-load efficiency for inductive power transfer," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2437-2447, May 2013.
- M. P. Kazmierkowski and A. J. Moradewicz, "Review of contactless energy transfer systems," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 6, pp. 47-55, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2012.2220869
- B. Kallel, T. Keutel, and O. Kanoun, "MISO configuration efficiency in inductive power transmission for supplying wireless sensors," in 11th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals and Devices(SSD), pp. 1-5, Feb. 2014.
- J. Ma, Q. Yang, and H. Chen, "Transcutaneous energy and information transmission system with optimized transformer parameters for the artificial heart," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 798-801, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2043241
- P. Bauer, M. Castilla, and F. Pijl, "Control method for wireless inductive energy transfer systems with relative large air gap," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 382-390, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2163917
- C. Huang, J. T. Boys, and G. A. Covic, "LCL pick-up circulating current controller for inductive power transfer systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 2081-2093, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2199132
- R. Azambuja, V. J. Brusamarello, S. Haffner, and R. W. Porto, "Full four capacitor circuit compensation for inductive power transfer," in IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC), pp. 183-187, May 2013.
- D. J. Thrimawithana and U. K. Madawala, "A generalized steady-state model for bidirectional IPT systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 10, pp. 4681-4689, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2237416
- M. Q. Nguyen, D. Plesa, S. Rao, and J. C. Chiao, "A multi-input and multi-output wireless energy transfer system," in International Microwave Symposium (IMS), Jun. 2014.
- Y. C. Chuang, Y. L. Ke, H. S. Chuang, and H. K. Chen, "Implementation and analysis of an improved series-loaded resonant DC-DC converter operating above resonance for battery chargers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 1052-1059, May/Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2018946
- J. Park, M. Kim, and S. Choi, "Fixed frequency series loaded resonant converter based battery charger which is insensitive to resonant component tolerances," in 7th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (IPEMC), pp. 918-922, Jun. 2012.
- J. Deng, S. Li, S. Hu, C. C. Mi, and R. Ma, "Design methodology of LLC resonant converters for electric vehicle battery chargers," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 63, No. 4, pp. 1581-1592, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2013.2287379
- D. Murthy-Bellur, A. Bauer, W. Kerin, and M. K. Kazimierczuk, "Inverter using loosely coupled inductors for wireless power transfer," in IEEE 55th International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), Vol. 2, pp. 1164-1167, Aug. 2012.
- T. Imura, T. Uchida, and Y. Hori, "Flexibility of contactless power transfer using magnetic resonance coupling to air gap and misalignment for EV," in International Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Symposium, Vol. 3, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- E. S. Kim, S. I. Kang, K. H. Yoon, and Y. H. Kim, "A contactless power supply for photovoltaic power generation system," in Twenty-Third Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1910-1913, Feb. 2008.
- U. Madawala, M. Neath, and D. J. Thrimawithana, "A power-frequency controller for bidirectional inductive power transfer systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 310-317, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2174537
- D. A. G. Pedder, A. D. Brown, and J. A. Skinner, "A contactless electrical energy transmission system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 23-30, Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.744372
- J. Lastowiecki and P. Staszewski, "Sliding transformer with long magnetic circuit for contactless electrical energy delivery to mobile receivers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 1943-1948, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.885473
- H. Sakamoto, K. Harada, S. Washimiya, K. Takehara, Y. Matsuo, and F. Nakao, "Large air-gap coupler for inductive charger," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 3526-3528, Sep. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.800578
- D. Kurschner, C. Rathge, and U. Jumar, "Design methodology for high efficient inductive power transfer systems with high coil positioning flexibility," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 372-381, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2181134
- S. Hasanzadeh, S. Vaez-Zadeh, and A. H. Isfahani, "Optimization of a contactless power transfer system for electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3566-3573, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2209464
- U.-M. Jow and M. Ghovanloo, "Design and optimization of printed spiral coils for efficient transcutaneous inductive power transmission," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Circuits Syst., Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 193-202, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBCAS.2007.913130
- V. J. Brusamarello, Y. B. Blauth, R. Azambuja, I. Muller, and F. R. de Sousa, "Power transfer with an inductive link and wireless tuning," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 924-931, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2013.2245041
- A. P. Sample, S. Member, D. T. Meyer, and J. R. Smith, "Analysis, experimental results, and range adaptation of magnetically coupled resonators for wireless power transfer," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 544-554, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2046002
- E. Waffenschmidt and T. Staring, "Limitation of inductive power transfer for consumer applications," in 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE), pp. 1-10, Sep. 2009.
- H. H. Wu, A. Gilchrist, K. Sealy, P. Israelsen, and J. Muhs, "A review on inductive charging for electric vehicles," in IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), pp. 143-147, May 2011.
- M. L. G. Kissin, J. T. Boys, and G. A. Covic, "Interphase mutual inductance in polyphase inductive power transfer systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 7, pp. 2393-2400, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2020076
- J. L. Villa, J. Sanz, J. F. S. Osorio, and A. Llombart, "High-misalignment tolerant compensation topology for ICPT systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 945-951, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2161055
- W. G. Hurley and M. C. Duffy, "Calculation of self-and mutual impedances in planar sandwich inductors," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 2282-2290, May 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.573844
- T. Esram and P. L. Chapman, "Comparison of photovoltaic array maximum power point tracking techniques," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 439-449, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874230