- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Novel Three-Phase Four-Wire Grid-Connected Synchronverter that Mimics Synchronous Generators
- Tan, Qian (State Key Laboratory of Alternate Electrical Power System with Renewable Energy Sources, North China Electric Power University) ;
- Lv, Zhipeng (China Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- Xu, Bei (Department of Electronics Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Jiang, Wenqian (Guangxi Electric Power Research Institute, Nanning, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region) ;
- Ai, Xin (State Key Laboratory of Alternate Electrical Power System with Renewable Energy Sources, North China Electric Power University) ;
- Zhong, Qingchang (China Electric Power Research Institute)
- Received : 2016.01.13
- Accepted : 2016.07.14
- Published : 2016.11.20
Voltage and frequency stability issues occur in existing centralized power system due to the high penetration of renewable energy sources, which decrease grid absorptive capacity of them. The grid-connected inverter that mimics synchronous generator characteristics with inertia characteristic is beneficial to electric power system stability. This paper proposed a novel three-phase four-wire grid-connected inverter with an independent neutral line module that mimics synchronous generators. A mathematical model of the synchronous generator and operation principles of the synchronverter are introduced. The main circuit and control parameters design procedures are also provided in detail. A 10 kW prototype is built and tested for further verification. The primary frequency modulation and primary voltage regulation characteristics of the synchronous generator are emulated and automatically adjusted by the proposed circuit, which helps to supports the grid.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- E. Ghiani and P. Fabrizio, "Smart inverter operation in distribution networks with high penetration of photovoltaic systems," Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 504-511, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40565-015-0165-4
- J. C. Vasquez, J. M. Guerrero, A. Luna, P. Rodriguez, and R. Teodorescu, "Adaptive droop control applied to voltage-source inverters operating in grid-connected and islanded modes," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 56, No. 10, pp. 4088-4096, Oct. 2009.
- M. R. Miveh, M. F. Rahmat, A. A. Ghadimi, and M. W. Mustafa, "Power quality improvement in autonomous microgrids using multi-functional voltage source inverters: a comprehensive review," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 1054-1065, Jul. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.4.1054
- Q. Zhang, Y. Liu, C. Wang, and N. Wang, "Parallel operation of microgrid inverters based on adaptive sliding-mode and wireless load-sharing controls," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 741-752, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.741
- H. P. Beck and R. Hesse, "Virtual synchronous machine," in 9th International Conference on Electrical Power Quality and Utilisation (EPQU), pp. 1-6, 2007.
- J. Driesen and K. Visscher, "Virtual synchronous generators," in IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting - Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, pp. 1-3, 2008.
- Q.-C. Zhong and G. Weiss, "Synchronverters: inverters that mimic synchronous generators," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1259-1267, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2048839
- P. Rodriguez, I. Candela, and A. Luna, "Control of PV generation systems using the synchronous power controller," in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 993-998, Sep. 2013.
- Z. Lv, Y. Liang, and Z. Zheng, "Virtual synchronous generator and its applications in micro-grid," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 34, No. 16, pp. 591-2603, 2014.
- S. D'Arco and J. A. Suul, "Equivalence of virtual synchronous machines and frequency-droops for converter-based micro grids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 394-395, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2288000
- Q.-C. Zhong, P.-L. Nguyen, Z. Ma, and W. Sheng, "Self-synchronized synchronverters: Inverters without a dedicated synchronization unit," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 617-630, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2258684
- C. Li, R. Burgos, I. Cvetkovic, D. Boroyevich, L. Mili, and P. Rodriguez, "Analysis and design of virtual synchronous machine based STATCOM controller," in IEEE 15th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), pp. 1-6, 2014.
- A. Perera, "Virtual synchronous machine-based power control in active rectifiers for micro grids," MSc. Thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway, 2012.
- Y. Hirase, K. Abe, K. Sugimoto, and Y. Shindo, "A grid-connected inverter with virtual synchronous generator models of algebraic type," IEEJ Trans. Power Energy, Vol. 132, No. 4, pp. 371-380, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejpes.132.371
- J. Alipoor, Y. Miura, and T. Ise, "Power system stabilization using virtual synchronous generator with alternating moment of inertia," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 451-458, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2014.2362530
- J. Alipoor, Y. Miura, and T. Ise, "Distributed generation grid integration using virtual synchronous generator with adoptive virtual inertia," in IEEE Energy Convers. Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 4546-4552, 2013.
- J. Wang, F. Zhang, C. Gong, and R. Chen, "Modeling and analysis of a Buck/Boost bidirectional converter with developed PWM Switch model," in IEEE 8th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), pp. 705-711, 2011.
- L. Zhang, X. Ren, and X. Ruan, "A band-pass filter incorporated into the inductor current feedback path for improving dynamic performance of the front-end dc-dc converter in two-stage inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2316-2325, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2267704