- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Simplified Model Predictive Control Method for Three-Phase Four-Leg Voltage Source Inverters
- Kim, Soo-eon (School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Chung-ang University) ;
- Park, So-Young (School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Chung-ang University) ;
- Kwak, Sangshin (School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Chung-ang University)
- Received : 2016.03.30
- Accepted : 2016.07.25
- Published : 2016.11.20
A simplified model predictive control method is presented in this paper. This method is based on a future reference voltage vector for a three-phase four-leg voltage source inverter (VSI). Compared with the three-leg VSIs, the four-leg VSI increases the possible switching states from 8 to 16 owing to a fourth leg. Among the possible states, this should be considered in the model predictive control method for selecting an optimal state. The increased number of candidate switching states and the corresponding voltage vectors increase the calculation burden. The proposed technique can preselect 5 among the 16 possible voltage vectors produced by the three-phase four-leg voltage source inverters, based on the position of the future reference voltage vector. The discrete-time model of the future reference voltage vector is built to predict the future movement of the load currents, and its position is used to choose five preselected vectors at every sampling period. As a result, the proposed method can reduce calculation load by decreasing the candidate voltage vectors used in the cost function for the four-leg VSIs, while exhibiting the same performance as the conventional method. The effectiveness of the proposed method is demonstrated with simulation and experiment results.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- M. Ryan, R. Lorenz, and R. De Doncker, "Modeling of multi-leg sine-wave inverters: A geometric approach," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 1183-1191, Dec. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.808008
- J. Huang, R. Xiong, Z. Wang, W. Zuo, Y. Zhou, and H. Shi, "A novel SPWM control strategy to reduce common-mode voltage in three-phase four-leg inverters," in Proc. IEEE ICEMS Conf., Wuhan, China, Oct. 2008, pp. 1526-1530.
- J.-H. Kim and S.-K. Sul, "A carrier-based PWM method for three-phase four-leg voltage source converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 66-75, Jan. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.820559
- J.-H. Kim, S.-K. Sul, and P. N. Enjeti, "A carrier-based PWM method with optimal switching sequence for a multilevel four-leg voltage-source inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 1239-1248, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.926201
- Y. Kumsuwan, W. Srirattanawichaikul, S. Premrudeepreechacharn, K. Higuchi, and H. Toliyat, "A carrier-based unbalanced PWM method for four-leg voltage source inverter fed asymmetrical two-phase induction motor," in Proc. IEEE IPEC Conf., Singapore, Jun. 2010, pp. 2469-2476.
- N.-Y. Dai, M.-C.Wong, F. Ng, andY.-D.Han, "A FPGA-based generalized pulse width modulator for three-leg center-split and four-leg voltage source inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1472-1484, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.921103
- D. Shen and P. Lehn, "Fixed-frequency space-vector-modulation control for three-phase four-leg active power filters," IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 149, No. 4, pp. 268-274, Jul. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20020377
- S. L. Salazar, H. F. Zapata, and F. E.Weichmann, "Analysis, design and experimental evaluation of a four-pole PWM rectifier using space vector modulation," in Proc. IEEE-PESC'97 Conf., 1997, pp. 484-490.
- R. Zhang, V. Prasad, D. Boroyevich, and F. Lee, "Three-dimensional space vector modulation for four-leg voltage-source converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 314-326, May 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.1004239
- M. Zhang, D. J. Atkinson, B. Ji, M. Armstrong, and M. Ma, "A near state three dimensional space vector modulation for a three phase four leg voltage source inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 5715-5726, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2297205
- J. Rodriguez, J. Pontt, C. A. Silva, P. Correa, P. Lezana, P. Cortes, and U. Ammann, "Predictive current control of a voltage source inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 495-503, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.888802
- S. Moon and S. Kwak, "Reducing Common-Mode Voltage of Three-Phase VSIs with Predictive Current Control Method without Cost Function," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 712-720, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.712
- S. Kwak and J. Park, "Predictive Control Method with Future Zero-Sequence Voltage to Reduce Switching Losses in Three-Phase Voltage Source Inverters," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 1558-1566, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2304719
- V. Yaramasu, M. Rivera, B. Wu, and J. Rodriguez, "Model predictive current control of two-level four-leg inverters-part I : concept, algorithm and simulation analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 3459-3468, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2227509
- P. Cortes, J. Rodriguez, C. Silva, and A. Flores, "Delay compensation in model predictive current control of a three-phase inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 1323-1325, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2157284
- A. Ziani, A. Llor, and M. Fadel, "Model predictive current controller for four-leg converters under unbalanced conditions," in Proc. IEEE Eur. Conf. Power Electron. and Appl., pp. 1-10, 2011.
- M. Rivera, V. Yaramasu, A. Llor, J. Rodriguez, B. Wu, and M. Fadel, "Digital predictive current control of a three-phase four-leg inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 11, pp. 4903-4912, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2219837
- R. L. A. Riberio, C. B. Jacobina, E. R. C. da Silva, and A. M. N. Lima, "Fault-tolerant voltage-fed PWM inverter AC motor drive systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 439-446, Apr. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.825284
- Zero-Axis Virtual Synchronous Coordinate Based Current Control Strategy for Grid-Connected Inverter vol.11, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11051225