- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Low Frequency Current Ripple Mitigation of Two Stage Three-Phase PEMFC Generation Systems
- Deng, Huiwen (School of Electrical Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University) ;
- Li, Qi (School of Electrical Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Zhixiang (School of Electrical Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University) ;
- Li, Lun (School of Electrical Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University) ;
- Chen, Weirong (School of Electrical Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2016.03.07
- Accepted : 2016.07.27
- Published : 2016.11.20
This paper presents a two stage three-phase proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) generation system. When the system is connected to a three-phase load, it is very sensitive to the characteristics and type of the load. Especially unbalanced three-phase loads, which result in a pulsating power that is twice the output frequency at the inverter output, and cause the dc-link to generate low frequency ripples. This penetrates to the fuel cell side through the front-end dc-dc converter, which makes the fuel cell work in an unsafe condition and degrades its lifespan. In this paper, the generation and propagation mechanism of low frequency ripple is analyzed and its impact on fuel cells is presented based on the PEMFC output characteristics model. Then a novel method to evaluate low frequency current ripple control capability is investigated. Moreover, a control scheme with bandpass filter inserted into the current feed-forward path, and ripple duty ratio compensation based on current mode control with notch filter is also proposed to achieve low frequency ripple suppression and dynamic characteristics improvement during load transients. Finally, different control methods are verified and compared by simulation and experimental results.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Sichuan Provincial Youth Science and Technology Fund
- J. T. Pukrushpan, A. G. Stefanopoulou, and H. Peng, "Control of fuel cell breathing," IEEE Trans. Control Systems, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 30-46, Apr. 2004.
- S. Jung, Y. Bae, S. Choi, and H. Kim, "A low cost utility interactive inverter for residential fuel cell generation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No.6, pp. 2293-2298, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.909191
- Y. Yang, X. Luo, C. Dai, W. Chen, Z. Liu, and Q. Li, "Dynamic modeling and dynamic responses of grid-connected fuel cell," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 39, No.26, pp. 14296-14305, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.05.026
- X. Li, W. Zhang, H. Li, R. Xie, M. Chen, G. Shen, et al., "Power management unit with its control for a three-phase fuel cell power system without large electrolytic capacitors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No.12, pp. 3766-3777, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2162533
- W. Choi, J. W. Howze, and P. Enjeti, "Development of an equivalent circuit model of a fuel cell to evaluate the effects of inverter ripple current," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 158, No.2, pp. 1324-1332, Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.10.038
- R. S. Gemmen, "Analysis for the effect of inverter ripple current on fuel cell operating condition," Journal of fluids engineering, Vol. 125, No.3, pp. 576-585, Jun. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1567307
- J.-M. Kwon, E.-H. Kim, B.-H. Kwon, and K.-H. Nam, "High-efficiency fuel cell power conditioning system with input current ripple reduction," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No.3, pp. 826-834, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2004393
- B. Wahdame, L. Girardot, D. Hissel, F. Harel, X. Francois, D. Candusso, et al., "Impact of power converter current ripple on the durability of a fuel cell stack," in Industrial Electronics, 2008 IEEE International Symposium on, pp. 1495-1500, 2008.
- Y. Wang, "A Novel input ripple current suppressing topology configuration and controller for residential fuel cell power conditioning system," Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 1-3, Jun. 2010.
- C. Liu and J.-S. Lai, "Low frequency current ripple reduction technique with active control in a fuel cell power system with inverter load," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No.4, pp. 1429-1436, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.900594
- S. K. Mazumder, R. K. Burra, and K. Acharya, "A ripple-mitigating and energy-efficient fuel cell power-conditioning system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 1437-1452, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.900598
- L. Palma, "An active power filter for low frequency ripple current reduction in fuel cell applications," in Power Electronics Electrical Drives Automation and Motion (SPEEDAM), 2010 International Symposium on, pp. 1308-1313, 2010.
- J. A. Sabate, V. Vlatkovic, R. Ridley, F. Lee, and B. Cho, "Design considerations for high-voltage high-power full-bridge zero-voltage-switched PWM converter," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 275-284, 1990.
- A. Testa, S. De Caro, D. Caniglia, V. Antonucci, M. Ferraro, and F. Sergi, "Compensation of the low frequency current ripple in single phase grid connected fuel cell power systems," in Power Electronics and Applications, 2009. EPE'09. 13th European Conference on, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- R.-J. Wai and C.-Y. Lin, "Dual active low-frequency ripple control for clean-energy power-conditioning mechanism," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 11, pp. 5172-5185, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2126533
- R. Wang, F. Wang, D. Boroyevich, R. Burgos, R. Lai, P. Ning, et al., "A high power density single-phase PWM rectifier with active ripple energy storage," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 1430-1443, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2090670
- L. Zhang, X. Ruan, and X. Ren, "Second-harmonic current reduction and dynamic performance improvement in the two-stage inverters: an output impedance perspective," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 394-404, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2331015
- G. Zhu, X. Ruan, L. Zhang, and X. Wang, "On the reduction of second harmonic current and improvement of dynamic response for two-stage single-phase inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 1028-1041, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2307092
- G. Zhu, H. Wang, C. Xiao, S.-C. Tan, and Y. Kang, "Assessment of waveform control method for mitigation of low-frequency current ripple," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2013 Twenty-Eighth Annual IEEE, pp. 3101-3106, 2013.
- G.-R. Zhu, S.-C. Tan, Y. Chen, and C. K. Tse, "Mitigation of low-frequency current ripple in fuel-cell inverter systems through waveform control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 779-792, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2205407
- G.-R. Zhu, S.-C. Tan, K.-W. Wang, and C. K. Tse, "Waveform control of fuel-cell inverter systems," in Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2012 IEEE, pp. 4457-4463, 2012.
- A. Ale Ahmad, A. Abrishamifar, and S. Samadi, "Low-frequency current ripple reduction in front-end boost converter with single-phase inverter load," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 9, pp. 1676-1683, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2011.0470
- X. Ma, B. Wang, F. Zhao, G. Qu, D. Gao, and Z. Zhou, "A high power low ripple high dynamic performance DC power supply based on thyristor converter and active filter," in IECON 02 [Industrial Electronics Society, IEEE 2002 28th Annual Conference], pp. 1238-1242, 2002.
- J. Jia, Q. Li, Y. Wang, Y. Cham, and M. Han, "Modeling and dynamic characteristic simulation of a proton exchange membrane fuel cell," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 24, No.1, pp. 283-291, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2008.2011837
- Y. Kim and S. Kang, "Time delay control for fuel cells with bidirectional DC/DC converter and battery," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 35, No.16,pp. 8792-8803, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.05.022
- S.-Y. Choe, J.-W. Ahn, J.-G. Lee, and S.-H. Baek, "Dynamic simulator for a PEM fuel cell system with a PWM DC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 669-680, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2007.914313
- F. Zenith, F. Seland, O. E. Kongstein, B. Borresen, R. Tunold, and S. Skogestad, "Control-oriented modelling and experimental study of the transient response of a high-temperature polymer fuel cell," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 162, No. 1, pp. 215-227, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.06.022
- M. V. Naik and P. Samuel, "Design and analysis of ripple current reduction in fuel cell generating systems," in Power and Advanced Control Engineering (ICPACE), 2015 International Conference on, pp. 200-204, 2015.
- J. Wang, B. Ji, X. Lu, X. Deng, F. Zhang, and C. Gong, "Steady-state and dynamic input current low-frequency ripple evaluation and reduction in two-stage single-phase inverters with back current gain model," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No.8, pp. 4247-4260, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2292609
- H.-J. Jung, K.-S. Ha, B.-M. Song, J.-S. Lai, D.-S. Hyun, and R.-Y. Kim, "Low frequency current reduction using a quasi-notch filter operated in two-stage DC-DC-AC grid-connected systems," in Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2011 IEEE, pp. 2746-2750, 2011.
- A. V. Peterchev and S. R. Sanders, "Load-line regulation with estimated load-current feedforward: Application to microprocessor voltage regulators," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No.6, pp. 1704-1717, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.882932