- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Design and Implementation of a Low Cost Grid-Connected 5 kVA Photovoltaic System with Load Compensation Capability
- Mejdar, Reza Seifi (Department of Electrical Engineering, Ardabil Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Salimi, Mahdi (Department of Electrical Engineering, Ardabil Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Zakipour, Adel (Department of Electrical Engineering, Ardabil Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Received : 2015.11.28
- Accepted : 2016.06.15
- Published : 2016.11.20
Design and implementation of a low cost grid-connected 5kVA solar photovoltaic (PV) system is proposed in this paper. Since the inverter is a major component of the PV system, the B4 inverter used in this paper reduces the total cost of the PV system. In order to eliminate the massive transformer, the PV system is connected to the grid through IGBT switches. In addition to injection of active power into the grid, the B4 inverter can compensate reactive power and reduce harmonics of the nonlinear loads. A TMS320F28335 DSP processor is used for effective control of the B4 inverter. Various features of this processor enable the implementation of the necessary control algorithms. As a first step, the PV system is simulated and evaluated in Matlab/Simulink. In the second step, hardware circuits are designed and implemented based on the simulation results. The operation of the PV system has been evaluated under balanced, unbalanced, linear and nonlinear loads which proves its accuracy and efficiency.
Supported by : Islamic Azad University
- R. A. Messenger and J. Ventre, Photovoltaic Systems Engineering, Third Edition, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Chapter 1, 2010.
- G. Stapleton and S. Neill, Grid-connected Solar Electric Systems: The Earthscan Expert Handbook for Planning, Design and Installation, Earthscan, Chapter 1, 2012.
- E. N. Kumi and A. B. Hammond, Design and Analysis of a 1MW Grid-Connected Solar PV System in Ghana, African Technology Policy Studies Network, Working Paper series, Chapter 2, 2013.
- EPIA, "Global market outlook for photovoltaics until 2016," http://www.pv-magazine.com/fileadm/uploads/PDFs/Global_Market_Outlook_2016.pdf, May 2012.
- R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and P. Rodriguez, Grid Converters for Photovoltaic and Wind Power Systems, Wiley, John Willey&Sons, Chapter 1, 2011.
- B. Yang, W. Li, Y. Zhao, and X. He, "Design and analysis of a grid-connected photovoltaic power system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 992-1000, Apr. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2036432
- H. L. Ginn and G. Chen, "Digital control method for grid-connected converters supplied with nonideal voltage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 127-136, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2013.2245905
- C. H. Chang, Y. H. Lin, Y. M. Chen, and Y. R. Chang, "Simplified reactive power control for single-phase grid-connected photovoltaic inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2286-2296, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2271600
- B. N. Alajmi, K. H. Ahmed, G. P. Adam, and B. W. Williams, "Single-phase single-stage transformer less grid-connected PV system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 2664-2676, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2228280
- B. Gu, J. Dominic, J. S. Lai, C. L. Chen, T. LaBella, and B. Chen, "High reliability and efficiency single-phase transformerless inverter for grid-connected photovoltaic systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2235-2245, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2214237
- T. Stetz, F. Marten, and M. Braun, "Improved low voltage grid-integration of photovoltaic systems in Germany," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 534-542, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2012.2198925
- E. Koutroulis and F. Blaabjerg, "Design optimization of transformerless grid-connected PV inverters including reliability," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 325-335, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2198670
- J. M. Shen, H. L. Jou, and J. C. Wu, "Novel transformerless grid-connected power converter with negative grounding for photovoltaic generation system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1818-1829, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2170435
- R. Kadri, J. P. Gaubert, and G. Champenois, "An improved maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic grid-connected inverter based on voltage-oriented control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 66-75, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2044733
- G. Buticchi, D. Barater, E. Lorenzani, and G. Franceschini, "Digital control of actual grid-connected converters for ground leakage current reduction in PV transformerless systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 563-572, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2192284
- M. P. Kazmierkowski, M. Jasinski, and G. Wrona, "DSP-based control of grid-connected power converters operating under grid distortions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 204-211, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2011.2134856
- F. M. Ishengoma and L. N. Norum, "Design and implementation of digitally controlled stand-alone photovoltaic power supply," in Nordic Workshop on Power and Industrial Electronics (NORPIE), pp. 741-744, Aug. 2002.
- H. Akagi, Y. Kanazawa, and A. Nabae, "Instantaneous reactive power compensators comprising switching devices without energy storage components," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-20, No. 3, pp. 625-630, May 1984. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1984.4504460
- TMS320F28335, http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320f28335.pdf, Aug. 2012.
- H. H. Moghaddam and M. salami, "Applicability improvement and hysteresis current control method simplification in shunt active filters," in IJEEE, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp.276-283, 2015.