- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Improved One Cycle Control for Active Power Filters under Non-Ideal Voltage Conditions
- Wang, Lei (College of Electrical and Power Engineering, Taiyuan University of Technology) ;
- Ren, Chunguang (College of Electrical and Power Engineering, Taiyuan University of Technology) ;
- Yang, Yu (Shanxi Electric Power Corporation) ;
- Han, Xiaoqing (Shanxi Key Lab of Power System Operation and Control, Taiyuan University of Technology) ;
- Wang, Peng (Nanyang Technological University)
- Received : 2016.04.22
- Accepted : 2016.08.27
- Published : 2016.11.20
The one cycle control (OCC) scheme for active power filters (APFs) has shown excellent harmonic suppression and implementation simplicity. However, its real world application is limited because the non-ideal supply voltage for APFs can influence its performance so that the source currents are still distorted after compensation. This paper proposes a modified one cycle control (MOCC) scheme to improve the performance of three-phase shunt APFs under non-ideal supply voltage conditions. In this paper a detailed mathematical derivation has been presented and the key control law of the MOCC has been developed for adaption to the non-ideal supply voltages, following the control philosophy of simplicity. A relatively simple sequence filter is introduced to extract the harmonic components of supply voltages. The modified scheme can be easily implemented. The proposed control strategy has excellent performance and a 5kVA APF hardware platform has been implemented to validate the feasibility and performance of the proposed strategy.
Supported by : Shanxi Province Scientific Research Foundation
- H. Akagi, "New trends in active filters for power conditioning," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 1312-1332, Nov./Dec. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.556633
- B. Singh, K. Al-Haddad, and A. Chandra, "A review of active filters for power quality improvement," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 5, pp. 960-971, Oct. 1999.
- L. Asiminoaei, F. Blaabjerg, and S. Hansen, "Detection is key-Harmonic detection methods for active power filter applications," IEEE Ind. Appl. Mag., Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 22-33, Jul./Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIA.2007.4283506
- M. J. Newman, D. N. Zmood, and D. G. Holmes, "Stationary frame harmonic reference generation for active filter systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 1591-1599, Nov./Dec. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.804739
- C. Lascu, L. Asiminoaei, I. Boldea, and F. Blaabjerg, "High performance current controller for selective harmonic compensation in active power filters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 1826-1835, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904060
- M. Kesler and E. Ozdemir, "Synchronous reference frame based control method for UPQC under unbalanced and distorted load conditions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 9, pp. 3967-3975, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2100330
- B. Singh and V. Verma, "Selective compensation of power-quality problems through active power filter by current decomposition," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 792-799, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.911108
- S. Rahmani, N. Mendalek, and K. Al-Haddad, "Experimental design of a nonlinear control technique for three-phase shunt active power filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 10, pp. 3364-3375, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2038945
- H. Haibing and X. Yan, "Design considerations and fully digital implementation of 400-Hz active power filter for aircraft applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3823-3834, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2282906
- M. Aredes, J. Hafner, and K. Heumann, "Three-phase four-wire shunt active filter control strategies," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 311-318, Mar. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.558748
- F. Z. Peng, G. W. Ott, and D. J. Adams, "Harmonic and reactive power compensation based on the generalized instantaneous reactive power theory for three-phase four-wire systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 1174-1181, Nov. 1998.
- G. W. Chang and T.-C. Shee, "A novel reference compensation current strategy for shunt active power filter control," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 1751-1758, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.835430
- H. Li, F. Zhuo, Z. Wang, W. Lei, and L. Wu, "A novel time-domain current-detection algorithm for shunt active power filters," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 644-651, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.846215
- R. S. Herrera and P. Salmeron, "Instantaneous reactive power theory: A reference in the nonlinear loads compensation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 2015-2022, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2014749
- R. S. Herrera, P. Salmeron, and K. Hyosung, "Instantaneous reactive power theory applied to active power filter compensation: Different approaches, assessment, and experimental results," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 184-196, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.905959
- S. Buso, L. Malesani, and P. Mattavelli, "Comparison of current control techniques for active filter applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 722-729, Oct. 1998.
- K. M. Smedley, L. Zhou, and C. Qiao, "Unified constant-frequency integration control of active power filters-steady-state and dynamics," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 428-436, May 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.923776
- C. Qiao and K. M. Smedley, "Three-phase bipolar mode active power filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 149-158, Jan./Feb. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.980369
- C. Qiao, J. Taotao, and K. M. Smedley, "One-cycle control of three-phase active power filter with vector operation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 455-463, Apr. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.825223
- S. Hirve, K. Chatterjee, B. G. Fernandes, M. Imayavaramban, and S. Dwari, "PLL-less active power filter based on one-cycle control for compensating unbalanced loads in three-phase four-wire system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 2457-2465, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.893450
- K. Chatterjee, D. V. Ghodke, A. Chandra, and K. Al-Haddad, "Modified one-cycle controlled load compensator," IET Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 481-490, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2010.0070
- E. S. Sreeraj, E. K. Prejith, K. Chatterjee, and S. Bandyopadhyay, "An active harmonic filter based on one-cycle control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3799-3809, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2286558
- J. Taotao and K. M. Smedley, "Operation of one-cycle controlled three phase active power filter with unbalanced source and load," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 1403-1412, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.880264
- A. S. Lock, E. R. C. da Silva, D. A. Fernandes and M. Elbuluk, "An OCC-APF control strategy for unbalanced grid conditions," in Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf., pp. 1677-1684, 2015.
- X. Yuan, W. Merk, H. Stemmler, and J. Allmeling, "Stationary-frame generalized integrators for current control of active power filters with zero steady-state error for current harmonics of concern under unbalanced and distorted operating conditions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 523-532, Mar./Apr. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.993175