- Volume 20 Issue 2
Due to creep and shrinkage of the concrete core, concrete-filled steel tubular (CFST) arches continue to deform in the long-term under sustained loads. This paper presents analytical investigations of the effects of geometric nonlinearity on the long-term in-plane structural performance and stability of three-pinned CFST circular arches under a sustained uniform radial load. Non-linear long-term analysis is conducted and compared with its linear counterpart. It is found that the linear analysis predicts long-term increases of deformations of the CFST arches, but does not predict any long-term changes of the internal actions. However, non-linear analysis predicts not only more significant long-term increases of deformations, but also significant long-term increases of internal actions under the same sustained load. As a result, a three-pinned CFST arch satisfying the serviceability limit state predicted by the linear analysis may violate the serviceability requirement when its geometric nonlinearity is considered. It is also shown that the geometric nonlinearity greatly reduces the long-term in-plane stability of three-pinned CFST arches under the sustained load. A three-pinned CFST arch satisfying the stability limit state predicted by linear analysis in the long-term may lose its stability because of its geometric nonlinearity. Hence, non-linear analysis is needed for correctly predicting the long-term structural behaviour and stability of three-pinned CFST arches under the sustained load. The non-linear long-term behaviour and stability of three-pinned CFST arches are compared with those of two-pinned counterparts. The linear and non-linear analyses for the long-term behaviour and stability are validated by the finite element method.
- Mirza, O. and Uy, B. (2010), "Finite element model for the long-term behaviour of composite steel-concrete push tests", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 10(1), 45-67. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.1.045
- Naguib, W. and Mirmiran, A. (2003), "Creep modeling for concrete-filled steel tubes", J. Construct. Steel Res., 59(11), 1327-1344. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00085-3
- Pi, Y.L., Bradford, M.A. and Uy B. (2002), "In-plane stability of arches", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 39, 105-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(01)00209-8
- Pi, Y.L., Bradford, M.A. and Qu, W.L. (2011), "Long-term non-linear behaviour and buckling of shallow concrete-filled steel tubular arches", Int. J. Non-linear Mech., 46(9), 1155-1166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2011.05.003
- Ranzi, G., Al-Deen, S., Ambrogi, L. and Uy, B. (2013), "Long-term behaviour of simply-supported post-tensioned composite slabs", J. Construct. Steel Res., 88, 172-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.05.010
- Schmidt, R. (1979), "Initial postbuckling of three-hinged circular arch", J. Appl. Mech., 46(4), 954-955. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3424689
- Shao, X., Peng, J., Li, L., Yan, B. and Hu, J. (2010), "Time-dependent behavior of concrete-filled steel tubular arch bridge", J. Bridge Eng., 15(1), 98-107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2010)15:1(98)
- Sundarraja, M.C. and Ganesh Prabhu, G. (2013), "Flexural behaviour of CFST members strengthened using CFRP composites", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 15(6), 623-643. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.15.6.623
- Terrey, P.J., Bradford, M.A. and Gilbert, R.I. (1994), "Creep and shrinkage of concrete in concrete-filled circular steel tubes", Proceeding of 6th International Symposium on Tubular Structures, Melbourne, Australia, December.
- Uy, B. (2001), "Static long-term effects in short concrete-filled steel box columns under sustained loading", ACI Struct. J., 98(1), 96-104.
- Wang, T., Bradford, M.A. and Gilbert, R.I. (2005), "Creep buckling of shallow parabolic concrete arches", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 132(10), 1641-1649.
- Wang, Y., Geng, Y. Ranzi, G. and Zhang, S. (2011), "Time-dependent behaviour of expansive concretefilled steel tubular columns", J. Construct. Steel Res., 67(3), 471-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.09.007
- AS3600 (2009), Australia Standard: Concrete Structures, Standard Association of Australia, Sydney, Australia.
- Aslani, F. (2015), "Creep behaviour of normal-and high-strength self-compacting concrete", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 53(5), 921-938. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.53.5.921
- Au, F.T.K. and Si, X.T. (2012), "Time-dependent effects on dynamic properties of cable-stayed bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 41(1), 139-155. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.1.139
- Bazant, Z.P. and Cedolin, L. (2003), Stability of Structure, Dover Publications, Mineola, NY, USA.
- Bradford, M.A., Pi, Y.L. and Qu, W.L. (2011), "Time-dependent in-plane behaviour and buckling of concrete-filled steel tubular arches", Eng. Struct., 33(5), 1781-1795. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.02.018
- Chung, K.S., Kim, J.H. and Yoo, J.H. (2013), "Experimental and analytical investigation of high-strength concrete-filled steel tube square columns subjected to flexural loading", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 14(2), 133-153. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.2.133
- Geng, Y., Ranzi, G., Wang, Y.Y. and Zhang, S. (2012), "Time-dependent behaviour of concrete-filled steel tubular columns: analytical and comparative study", Magaz. Concrete Res., 64(1), 55-69. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2012.64.1.55
- Gilbert, R.I. and Ranzi, G. (2011), Time-Dependent Behaviour of Concrete Structures, Spon, London, UK.
- Han, L.H., Yang, Y.F. and Liu, W. (2004), "The behaviour of concrete-filled steel tubular columns with rectangular section under long-term loading", J. Civil Eng., 37(3), 12-18.
- Han, B., Wang, Y.F., Wang, Q. and Zhang, D.J. (2013), "Creep analysis of CFT columns subjected to eccentric compression loads", Comput. Concrete, Int. J., 11(4), 291-304. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.11.4.291
- Han, L.H., Li, W. and Bjorhovde, R. (2014), "Developments and advanced applications of concrete-filled steel tubular (CFST) structures: Members", J. Construct. Steel Res., 100, 211-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.04.016
- Ichinose, L.H., Watanabe, E. and Nakai, H. (2001), "An experimental study on creep of concrete filled steel pipes", J. Construct. Steel Res., 57(4), 453-466. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(00)00021-3
- Luo, K., Pi, Y.L., Gao, W. and Bradford, M.A. (2013), "Creep of concrete core and time-dependent nonlinear behaviour and buckling of shallow concrete-filled steel tubular arches", CMES-Comput. Model. Eng. Sci., 95(1), 32-58.
- Luo, K., Pi, Y.L., Gao, W., Bradford, M.A. and Hui, D. (2015), "Investigation into long-term behaviour and stability of concrete-filled steel tubular arches", J. Construct. Steel Res., 104, 127-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.10.014
- Ma, Y.S. and Wang, Y.F. (2013), "Creep effects on the reliability of a concrete-filled steel tube arch bridge", J. Bridge Eng., 18(10), 1095-1104. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000446
- Ma, Y.S., Wang, Y.F. and Mao, Z.K. (2011), "Creep effects on dynamic behavior of concrete filled steel tube arch bridge", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 37(3), 321-330. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.37.3.321
- Mias, C., Torres, L., Turon, A. and Sharaky, I.A. (2013), "Effect of material properties on long-term deflections of GFRP reinforced concrete beams", Construct. Build. Mater., 41, 99-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.11.055
- ACI (1982), Prediction of Creep, Shrinkage and Temperature Effects in Concrete Structures, ACI Committee-209, American Concrete Institute (ACI), Detroit, MI, USA.
- Ahmed, E. and Sobuz, H.R. (2011), "Experimental study on long-term behaviour of CFRP strengthened RC beams under sustained load", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 40(1), 105-120. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.40.1.105
- Al-Deen, S., Ranzi, G. and Uy, B. (2015), "Non-uniform shrinkage in simply-supported composite steelconcrete slabs", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 18(2), 375-394. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.2.375
- ANSYS (2012), Multiphysics 12.1. Ansys Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA.
- Time-Dependent Buckling Analysis of Concrete-Filled Steel Tubular Arch with Interval Viscoelastic Effects vol.143, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.2.379
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Australian Research Council