- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Structural behavior of non-symmetrical steel cable-stayed bridges
- Jorquera-Lucerga, Juan J. (Department of Civil Engineering, Polytechnic University of Cartagena) ;
- Lozano-Galant, Jose A. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Castilla-La Mancha) ;
- Turmo, Jose (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona Tech.)
- Received : 2015.04.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2016.02.10
Despite of the growing number of built examples, the analysis of non-symmetrical cable-stayed bridges has not received considerable attention from the researchers. In fact, the effects of the main design parameters in the structural behavior of these bridges are not addressed in detail in the literature. To fill this gap, this paper studies the structural response of a number of non-symmetrical cable-stayed bridges. With this aim, a parametric analysis is performed to evaluate the effect of each of the main design parameters (the ratio between the main and the back span length, the pylon, the deck and backstay stiffnesses, the pylon inclination, and the stay configuration) of this kind of bridges. Furthermore, the role of the geometrical nonlinearity and the steel consumption in stays are evaluated.
Supported by : Spanish Ministerio de Economia y Competitividad
- Baldomir, A., Hernandez, S., Nieto, F. and Jurado, A. (2010), "Cable optimization of a Long Span Cable-Stayed Bridge in la Coruna (Spain)", J. Adv. Eng. Software, 41(7-8), 931-938. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2010.05.001
- Bazant, Z.P. (1972), "Prediction of concrete creep effects using age-adjusted effective modulus method", ACI Journal, 69(20), 212-217.
- Casas, J.R. and Aparicio, A.C. (1998), "Monitoring of the Alamillo cable-stayed bridge during construction", Experim. Mech., 38(1), 24-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02321263
- Chen, D.W., Au, F.T.K., Tham, L.G. and Lee, P.K.K. (2000), "Determination of initial cable forces in prestressed concrete cable-stayed bridge for given design deck profiles using the force equilibrium method", Comput. Struct., 74(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(98)00315-0
- Du, G.H. (1989), "Optimal cable tension and construction tensioning of cable-stayed bridges", Bridge Construct., 74, 18-22. [In Chinese]
- Eurocode 3 (2005), Design of Steel Structures.
- Gimsing, N.J. (1997), Cable Supported Bridges, Concept and Design, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK.
- Guan, H. (2000), "Construction control of cable-stayed bridges", Ph.D. Thesis; The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China.
- Gunaydin, M., Adanur, S., Altunisik, A.C., Sevim, B. and Turker, E. (2014), "Determination of structural behavior of Bosporus suspension bridge considering construction stages and different soil conditions", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(4), 405-429. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.4.405
- Hassan, M.M. (2013), "Optimization of stay cables in cable-stayed bridges using Finite element, genetic algorithm, and b-spline combined technique", Eng. Struct., 49, 643-654. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.11.036
- Hassan, M.M., Nassef, A.O. and El Damatty, A.A (2012), "Determination of optimum post-tensioning cable forces of cable-stayed bridges", Eng. Struct., 44, 248-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.06.009
- Agrawal, T.P. (1997), "Cable-stayed bridges-parametric study", J. Bridge Eng., 2(2), 61-67. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1997)2:2(61)
- Atmaca, B. and Ates, S. (2012), "Construction stage analysis of three-dimensional cable-stayed bridges", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 12(5), 413-426. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.5.413
- Janjic, D., Pircher, M. and Pircher, H. (2002), "The unit load method-some recent applications", Adv. Steel Struct., II, 831-837.
- Janjic, D., Pircher, M. and Pircher, H. (2003), "Optimization of cable tensioning in cable-stayed bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 8(3), 131-137. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2003)8:3(131)
- Jorquera-Lucerga, J.J. (2013), "Understanding Calatrava‟s bridges: A conceptual approach to the „La Devesa-type‟ footbridges", Eng. Struct., 56, 2083-2097. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.08.026
- Lazar, B.E., Troitsky, M.S. and Douglas, M.C. (1972), "Load analysis balancing of cable-stayed bridges", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 92(8), 1725-1740.
- Lozano-Galant, J.A., Paya-Zaforteza, I., Xu, D. and Turmo, J. (2012a), "Analysis of the construction process of cable-stayed bridges built on temporary supports", Eng. Struct., 40, 95-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.02.005
- Lozano-Galant, J.A., Paya-Zaforteza, I., Xu, D. and Turmo, J. (2012b), "Forward Algorithm for the construction control of cable-stayed bridges built on temporary supports", Eng. Struct., 40, 119-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.02.022
- Lozano-Galant, J.A., Xu, D., Paya-Zaforteza, I. and Turmo, J. (2013), "Direct simulation of the tensioning process of cable-stayed bridges", Comput. Struct., 121, 64-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2013.03.010
- Lozano-Galant, J.A. and Turmo, J. (2014a), "An algorithm for simulation of concrete cable-stayed bridges built on temporary supports and considering time dependent effects", Eng. Struct., 79, 341-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.08.018
- Lozano-Galant, J.A. and Turmo, J. (2014b), "Creep and shrinkage effects in service stresses of concrete cable-stayed bridges", Comput. Concrete, 13(4), 483-499. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.13.4.483
- Lozano-Galant, J.A., Ruiz-Ripoll, L., Paya-Zaforteza, I. and Turmo, J. (2014), "Modifications of the stressstate of cable-stayed bridges due to staggered erection of their superstructure", The Baltic J. Road Bridge Eng., 9(4), 241-250. https://doi.org/10.3846/bjrbe.2014.30
- Lozano-Galant, J.A., Paya-Zaforteza, I. and Turmo, J. (2015), "Effects in service of the staggered construction of cable-stayed bridges built on temporary supports", The Baltic J. Road Bridge Eng., 10(3), 247-254. https://doi.org/10.3846/bjrbe.2015.31
- Lute, V., Upadhyay, A. and Singh, K.K. (2009), "Computationally efficient analysis of cable-stayed bridge for GA-based optimization", Eng. Appl. Artif. Intel., 22(4-5), 750-758. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2009.04.001
- Manterola, J., Siegrist, C. and Gil, M.A. (2006), Puentes, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos de Madrid, Madrid, Spain. [In Spanish]
- Marchetti, M. and Lecinq, B. (1999), "Stay adjustment: From design perspective to on site practice", Proceedings of IABSE, Malmo, Sweden, June.
- Menn, C. (1990), Prestressed Concrete Bridges, Springer Science & Business Media.
- Negrao, J.H.O. and Simoes, L.M.C. (1997), "Optimization of cable-stayed bridges with three dimensional modeling", Comput. Struct., 64(1-4), 741-758. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(96)00166-6
- Scotti, A. (2003), "Long term behavior of cable-stayed bridges", Master‟s Thesis; Polititecnico di Milano, Italy.
- SETRA (2001), Recommandations de la Commission Interministrielle de la Precontrainte, Service d‟Etudes Techniques des Routes et Autoroutes, France.
- Simoes, L.M.C. and Negra, J.H.J.O. (2000), "Optimization of cable-stayed bridges with box-girder decks", Adv. Eng. Software, 31(6), 417-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(00)00003-X
- Svensson, H. (2012), Cable-Stayed Bridges: 40 years of Experience Worldwide, Wiley.
- Virlogeux, M. (1994), "Erection of cable-stayed bridges: the control of the designed geometry", Proceedings of International Conference A.I.P.C., F.I.P., Cable-Stayed and Suspension Bridges, Volume 2, Deauville, France, October, pp. 321-350.
- Walther, R., Houriet, B., Isler, W., Moia, P. and Klein, J.F. (1999), Cable-Stayed Bridges, Thomas Telford.
- Wang, P.H., Tseng, T.C. and Yang, C.G. (1993), "Initial shape of cable-stayed bridges", Comput. Struct., 46(6), 1095-1106. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(93)90095-U
- Wang, Y.C., Vlahinos, A.S. and Shu, H.S. (1997), "Optimization of cable preloading on cable-stayed bridges", SPIE, 3043, 248-259.
- Analysis of Eduardo Torroja’s Tempul Aqueduct an important precursor of modern cable-stayed bridges, extradosed bridges and prestressed concrete vol.150, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.07.057