- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Reflection Cracking Resistance of Grid-Reinforced Asphalt Pavement Using Overlay Tester
Overlay Tester를 이용한 그리드 보강 아스팔트 포장의 반사균열 저항성 평가
- Received : 2015.11.17
- Accepted : 2016.01.19
- Published : 2016.02.15
PURPOSES : Reflection cracking has been one of the major causes of distress when asphalt pavement is laid on top of concrete pavement. This study evaluated the reflection cracking resistance of asphalt mixtures reinforced with asphalt embedded glass fiber and carbon fiber using a Texas Transportation Institute (TTI) overlay tester. METHODS : Different asphalt mixtures such as polymer-modified mastic asphalt (PSMA) and a dense graded asphalt mixture were reinforced with asphalt-embedded carbon fiber and glass fiber. For comparison purposes, two PSMA asphalt mixtures and one dense graded asphalt mixture were evaluated without fiber reinforcement. Two different overlay test modes, the repeated overlay test (R-OT) and monotonic overlay test (M-OT), were used to evaluate the reflection cracking resistance of asphalt mixtures at
overlay tester;reflection cracking of asphalt mixture;carbon fiber;glass fiber
- Ali Khodaii, Shahab Fallah, and Fereidoon Moghadas Nejad (2009). Effects of geosynthetics on reduction of reflection cracking in asphalt overlays. Elsevier Journal of Geotextiles and Geomembranes. Vol. 27 (1), pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2008.05.007
- Cleveland, G.S., Button, J.W., and Lytton, R.L (2002). Geosynthetics in Flexible and Rigid Pavement Overlay Systems to Reduce Reflection Cracking. Research Report# FHWA/TX- 02/1777. pp. 1-297. Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) - Research and Technology Implementation Office, TX, USA.
- Faruk, ANM., Hu, X., Lopez, Y., & Walubita, LF (2014). Using the Fracture Energy Index Concept to Characterize the HMA Cracking Resistance Potential under Monotonic Crack Testing. International Journal of Pavement Research & Technology (IJPRT). Vol. 7, Issue# 1, pp. 40-48.
- Mostafa Elseifi and Rakesh Bandaru (2011). Cost Effective Prevention of Reflective Cracking of Composite Pavement. Research Report FHWA/LA.11/478. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA.
- TxDOT (2014). TxDOT-. Texas Department of Transportation. Online Manuals: The Overlay Test. Tex-248-F. Austin, TX, USA. Accessed March 2014.
- Walubita et al. (2015). Characterizing the cracking and fracture properties of geosynthetic interlayer reinforced HMA samples using the Overlay Tester (OT). Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Volume 93, pp. 695-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.06.028
- Yeo, D.H., Kim, G. D., Kwon, S. A., Jeong, J. H. (2010), Evaluation of Early Age Performance of Geogrid Reinforced Asphalt Pavements, Journal of the Korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 53-60.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 군산대학교