- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Estimation of the Expressway Traffic Congestion Cost Using Vehicle Detection System Data
VDS 자료 기반 고속도로 교통혼잡비용 산정 방법론 연구
Kim, Sang Gu;Yun, Ilsoo;Park, Jae Beom;Park, In Ki;Cheon, Seung Hoon;Kim, Kyung Hyun;Ahn, Hyun Kyung
- Received : 2015.07.23
- Accepted : 2015.12.15
- Published : 2016.02.15
PURPOSES : This study was initiated to estimate expressway traffic congestion costs by using Vehicle Detection System (VDS) data. METHODS : The overall methodology for estimating expressway traffic congestion costs is based on the methodology used in a study conducted by a study team from the Korea Transport Institute (KOTI). However, this study uses VDS data, including conzone speeds and volumes, instead of the volume delay function for estimating travel times. RESULTS : The expressway traffic congestion costs estimated in this study are generally lower than those observed in KOTI's method. The expressway lines that ranked highest for traffic congestion costs are the Seoul Ring Expressway, Gyeongbu Expressway, and the Youngdong Expressway. Those lines account for 64.54% of the entire expressway traffic congestion costs. In addition, this study estimates the daily traffic congestion costs. The traffic congestion cost on Saturdays is the highest. CONCLUSIONS : This study can be thought of as a new trial to estimate expressway traffic congestion costs by using actual traffic data collected from an entire expressway system in order to overcome the limitations of associated studies. In the future, the methodology for estimating traffic congestion cost is expected to be improved by utilizing associated big-data gathered from other ITS facilities and car navigation systems.
traffic congestion costs;vehicle detection system;expressway
- Cheon, S. et al., 2014. Improving Estimation for Road Traffic Congestion Cost Using Car Navigation Information, The Korea Transport Institute.
- Cho, H. S., Lee, H., and Kim, Y. C., 2014. 2011, 2012 Traffic Congestion Costs: Estimation and Trend Analysis, The Korea Transport Institute.
- Cho, H. et al., 2007. Improvement of the Estimation Method for Traffic Congestion Costs, The Korea Transport Institute.
- Cho, J. et al., 2010. Improving the Estimation Method of Traffic Congestion Costs, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol. 28, No. 1. pp. 63-74.
- Do, C. W., 2004. Traffic Engineering Principle, Cheongmoongak.
- Korea Development Institute, 2001. A Study on Standard Guidelines for Pre-feasibility Study on Road Projects(Third Ed.), Korean Development Institute.
- Korea Development Institute, 2008. A Study on Standard Guidelines for Pre-feasibility Study on Road Projects(Fifth Ed.), Korea Development Institute.
- Korea Expressway Corporation, 2014. A Study on Reasonable Guidelines for Construction and Size of Expressway Rest Areas, Korea Expressway Corporation.
- Korea Expressway Corporation, 2014. 2013 Expressway Traffic Volume, Korea Expressway Corporation.
- Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology, 2009. Guide for 12 Vehicle Types for Traffic Counts, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology.
- Lee, H., Namkoong, S., Kim, S., and Kim, J., 2013. Improvement of A Preprocessing of Archived Traffic Data Collected by Expressway Vehicle Detection System, the Journal of The Korea Institute of Intelligent Transport Systems, Vol. 12, No. 1. pp. 15-27. https://doi.org/10.12815/kits.2013.12.1.015
- Ministry of Employment and Labor, 2015. Yearbook of Employment and Labor Statistics, Ministry of Employment and Labor.
- Statistics Korea, 2014. Report on the Transportation Survey, Statistics Korea.
- Texas A&M Transportation Institute, 2012. Urban Mobility Report, Texas A&M Transportation Institute.
- The Korea Transport Institute, 1992. Study on the Estimation of Traffic Congestion Costs, The Korea Transport Institute.
- Transport Canada Environmental Affairs, 2006. The Cost of Urban Congestion in Canada, Transport Canada.
Supported by : 한국연구재단(NRF)