- Volume 18 Issue 1
PURPOSES : The goal of this study is to analyze the operational effects of special roundabouts at large-scale rotaries in Korea. In pursuing the above, this study gives particular attention to comparing standard roundabouts with special roundabouts. METHODS : This study reviews the various types of roundabouts, creates 270 scenarios, builds networks, and comparatively analyzes the operational effects by using VISSIM simulation model and SSAM(Surrogate Safety Assessment Model). RESULTS : First, the operational effects of standard and signalized roundabouts were analyzed, and it was determined that standard roundabouts are the best in the case of under-saturated traffic volume, and signalized roundabouts are the best in the case of over-saturated traffic volume. Second, the operational benefits of a Turbo roundabout were evaluated to be generally lower than the benefits of a standard roundabout, and the benefits of a Turbo roundabout increase when right-turn traffic volume increases. Finally, the safety conflicts of a Turbo roundabout were determined to be the least and decrease when right-turn traffic volume increases. CONCLUSIONS : This study suggests that Turbo roundabouts rank highest for safety, and signalized roundabouts are best for over-saturated traffic volume. This study can be expected to provide some implications for policy decision-making.
rotary;roundabout;turbo roundabout;signalized roundabout;VISSIM;SSAM
- Bared, J.G., Afshar, A.M., 2009. Using Simulation to plan Capacity Models by lane for Two-and Three-lane Roundabouts, TRB 2009 Annual Meeting.
- Jang, K.H., 2014. A Study on Operation and Safety Assessment of Roundabout Types, Master's degree dissertation, University of Ajou, 2014.
- Lee, D.M., Yoo, J.H., 2013, A Study on Appropriate Traffic Volume Calculation for Revitalizing Roundabout Installation, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol. 31, No. 6, 43-52. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2013.31.6.043
- Lee, H.S., 2014. A Study on The Effective Operation Strategy of Signalized Roundabouts, Master's degree dissertation, University of Gachon, 2014.
- Lim, J.K., Kim, K.H., Park, B.H., 2011. Effectiveness Analysis of 3-lane Roundabout by Scenario, Journal of Korea Planners Association, Vol. 46, No. 5, 223-231.
- Lim, J.K., 2013. Analysis of Transferring Effects from Rotary to Roundabout, Master's degree dissertation, University of Chunbuk, 2013.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 2010. Roundabout Guideline.
- Tollazzi. T., Rencelj, M., Turnsek, S., 2011. Slovenian Experiences with Alternative Types of Roundabouts - 'Turbo'and 'Flower' Roundabout-, Environmental Engineering 8th International Conference, 1220-1226.
- Tollazzi, T., Jovanovic, Rencelj, M., 2013. New Type of Roundabout: Dual One-Lane Roundabouts on Two Levels with Right-Hand Turning Bypasses -'Target Roundabout'-, Traffic&Transportation, Vol. 25, No. 5, 475-481.
- Tracz, M., Chodur, J., 2012. Performance and Safety of Roundabouts with Traffic Signals, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 53, 789-800.