- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Suggestion for Improved Road Signs Providing Efficient Road Information
효율적인 도로정보 제공을 위한 도로표지판 개선방안 제시
Kown, Sung-Dae;Kim, Yoon-Mi;Kim, Jae-Gon;Ha, Tae-Jun
- Received : 2015.11.16
- Accepted : 2016.02.01
- Published : 2016.02.15
PURPOSES : While road networks are becoming increasingly complex, traffic signs are being indiscriminately installed and operated, which makes drivers who depend on traffic signs to reach their destination confused and unable to understand road information efficiently. In order to promptly and exactly guide road users to their destinations, traffic signs should be able to satisfy the functions of connectivity, visibility, and location suitability. However, the results of a site survey shows that most of the traffic signs currently installed in the Jeollanam-do Province do not satisfy these functions. METHODS : This study analyzed the problems of traffic signs after an actual site survey and focused on a total on 9,353 traffic signs and 70 road routes in Jeollanam-do Province. RESULTS : This study analyzed the problems of traffic signs based on their required functions (connectivity, visibility, suitability) and suggested improvements by establishing a guide system that considered the problems found in the study. CONCLUSIONS : The guide system can be utilized as a basic material that provides efficient road information for future installation and maintenance of traffic signs in Jeollanam-do Province.
traffic safety;road sign;connectivity;visibility;location suitability
- Back, S. Y., Choi, S. D., Kim, B. S., Huh, S. B., Lee, S. H., 2004, "A design of the convergent LED sign", Proceeding of the KSMPE Autumn Conference.
- Incheon Free Economic Zone Authority, 2007, "Design and Installation of Road Sign in Songdo Cosmopolitan City".
- Jeong, K. S., Lee, W. S., Woo, J. Y., 2006, "A Study on Road Guidence System Improvement", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.2006 No.10.
- Jeonnam Road Safety Control Business Establishment, 2009", Road Sign Improvement Plan".
- Kang, J. S., 1998", Design and Plan of Road", Construction details.
- Kim, E. C., Lee, T. Y., Kwon, Y. I., 2006," Enhancing Connectivity of Guiding Points at Road Signs", Korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol.8 No.4.
- KOTI "KOTI-Brief"Vol.1 No.8, 2009.
- Lee, S. C., 1990, "Status and Improvement of Road Sign", Vol.39 No.445.
- Lee, S. H., Seo, H. S., 1998," A Study on the efficient Improvement of Traffic Guide Sign System", Journal of Urban Studies, Vol.6 No.1.
- Lee, S. K., Jeong, J. H., Kim, S. Y., 2008, "The comparison of the visulaity and legibility test between Internal illuminate and Retro reflective road signs", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.2008 No.10.
- Ministry of Land, 2004," Guidelines for Design and Management of Road Sign".
- Moon, Y. R., Oh, B. K., 2009, "A Study on the application of Gestalt Psychology for road sign", Journal of Korean Society of Design Science, Vol.2009 No.5.
- Park, H. J., Kim, J. Y., Jang, M. S., Lee, K. Y., 2006, "A Study on Optimal Space Rate of Road Sign", Journal of Ergonomics Society of Korea.
- Yang, B. S., 2006, "English Notation Standardization and Improvement of the Road Sign", The Association of English Language and Literature in Korea, Vol.2006 No.1.
- Yoon, H. J., Park, M. S., 2006, "Overview and Suggestions on the Direction Guidance System on Traffic Sign in Suwon City", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.26 No.2.