- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Oral Health Index and Dental Prosthesis Needs on Oral Health Related Quality of Life in Korean Elderly
한국 노인의 구강보건지수와 치과보철물 필요도가 구강건강관련 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
Lee, Hee-Sung;Kim, Han-Gon
- Received : 2015.10.05
- Accepted : 2016.01.05
- Published : 2016.01.31
This study examined the oral health-related quality of life of the elderly using the oral health index and dental prosthesis status, and explored methods to improve the oral health status. The data collected from 'The fifth Korean national health and nutrition examination survey 2010' were analyzed. The subjects were 2273 elderly people, aged 65 years or older, who had completed an oral examination, health questionnaires and nutrition examination. Statistical analysis was done using the SPSS 22.0 for Windows. Frequency analysis, multiple regression analysis and structural equation model were used for statistical analysis. The general characteristics, oral health index and dental prosthesis showed differences in the subjective oral health status associated with as age, ST, FS-T, T-Health, maxillary crown needs, maxillary denture needs, mandibular denture needs, chewing status associated with the income level, FS-T, maxillary crown needs, maxillary denture needs, mandibular denture needs, speaking status associated with the ST, T-Health, maxillary implant status, and maxillary denture needs. In conclusion, both the oral health index and dental prosthesis needs affect the oral health related quality of life of the elderly. Governments should implement a variety of oral health programs and dental prosthesis policies to improve the quality of life related oral health of the elderly.
Oral health index;Dental prosthesis status;Oral health related quality of life
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, "Restructure of public welfare delivery system in response to demographic changes", pp. 3-15, 2012.
- Y. S. Won. "The relationship of oral state and dietary habit to health condition among elderly people", master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2003.
- D. Locker, M. Clarke, B. Payne, "Self-reported oral health status, psychological well-being and life satisfaction in an older adult population", J Dental Res, Vol.79, pp. 970-975, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/00220345000790041301 https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345000790041301
- D. Locker, D Matear, "Status and changes in masticatory ability in older Canadians over seven year". J Public Health Dent, Vol.62, No.2, pp. 70-77, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2002.tb03425.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2002.tb03425.x
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Oral health in America: A report of the surgeon general. pp. 25-30, 2010.
- J. H. Park, H. K. Kwon, B. I. Kim, C. H. Choi, Y. H. Choi, "A survey on the oral health condition of institutionalized elderly people resident in free a asylum", Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 555-566, 2002.
- D. Locker, "Measuring oral health: a conceptual framework". Community Dental health, Vol.5, pp. 5-13, 1998.
- Y. M. Kim, H. R. Choi, D. Y. Park, J. B. Im, J.W. Won, B. S. Kim, Y. U. Park, "The comparision of the quality of life between the well-controlled hypertension group and the uncontrolled hypertension group". Korean Academy of Family Medicine, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 565-574, 2001.
- B. K, Ahn, S. J. Lee, G. G. Nam Y. L. Jeong, S. H. Lee, "The Korean Version of Skindex-29". Korean journal of dermatology Vol. 42, No.1, pp. 9-15, 2004.
- DS. Brennan, AJ. Spencer, "Comparison of a generic and a specific measure of oral health related qualiyoif life", Community Dent Health, Vol.22, pp. 11-18, 2005.
- KA. Atchison, TA. Dolan, "Development of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index", J Dent Educ, Vol.54, No.11, pp. 680-687, 1990.
- GD. Slade, AJ Spencer, "Development and evaluation of the oral health impact profile", Community Dent Health, Vol.11, pp. 3-11, 1994.
- S. R. Woo, "The effect of the health state of the oral cavity and the health-caring act on the oral cavity on the life quality concerning the health of the oral cavity of the senior", doctor's thesis, Daegu Haany University, Daegu, 2013.
- J. H. Park, "Relationship between tooth loss and oral health related quality of life among the elderly population in Seongju", master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 2008.
- S. K. Kim, "A study for Raising the Quality of the Rural Old Aged Men's Lives", Korean sociey of Gerontological social welfare, Vol. 23, pp. 179-202, 2004.
- D. H. Lee, "The Effects of Quality of Life in the Elderly's Health Condition", The korean Gerontological society, Vol.30, No.1, pp. 93-108, 2010.
- I. G. Hur, T. Y. Lee, J. K. Dong, S. H. Hong. "The effects of dental prostheses to the quality of life among the elderly", The Journal of Korean Academy of Prosthodontics, Vol.48, No.2, pp. 101-110, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101 https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101
- G. R. Lee, "The impact of DMFT index on oral health related quality of Life in community-dwelling elderly", Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol.32, No.3, pp. 396-404, 2008.
- C. McGrath, R. Bed, "Can dentures improve the quality of life of those who have experienced considerable tooth loss", J Dent, Vol.29, pp. 243-256, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(00)00063-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(00)00063-4
- G. Heydecke, LA. Tedesco, C. Kowalski, MR. Inglehart, "Complete dentures and oral health-related quality of life-do coping styles matter", Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.32, pp. 297-306, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00169.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00169.x
- M. H. Park, M. Y. Park, H. S. Lee, "The Effect of Sociological Characteristics and Oral Health Behaviors on Oral Health Index in Korean Elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.10 pp. 4989-4995, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.4989 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.4989