- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Study on Physical Therapy Students Attitude and Behavior for the Person with Disability
물리치료(학)과 학생의 장애인에 대한 태도와 행동에 관한 조사연구
- Received : 2015.10.02
- Accepted : 2016.01.05
- Published : 2016.01.31
The purpose of this research was to examine the attitudes and behavior of physical therapy students toward the disabled. The subjects were 776 students at 6 cities and provinces nationwide with physical therapy. Self-reported questionnaires were used to collect data from 800, and 776 returned forms was analyzed using SPSS 21.0 ver. As a summary of the results, first, there was a more positive significant difference in the behavior toward disabilities in men than women; the higher grade they were, the more negative the significant difference in attitude toward the disabilities. Second, the subjects with disabled family members or friends had a positive attitude and behavior. Third, there was no difference as to whether to take classes related to disabilities, and there was a positive significant difference in the students who took voluntary service. Based on these results, interactions with disabled people affect the positive attitudes and behaviors toward disabilities. In addition, implications of the important roles of education curricula to take direct experience are suggested.
- http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01 (assessed April, 23, 2015)
- http://kosis.kr/nsportalStats/nsportalStats_0102Body.jsp?menuId=1&NUM=1(assessed June, 8, 2015)
- Korea Institute for Health and Society Affairs, Survey of the disabled person in 2005. Seoul:GPO 2006.
- M. S. Kwon and J. H. Lee, "Study of University Students' Perception and Attitude towards the Disabled", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.6, pp.3667-3674, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3667 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3667
- K. S. Kim, Y. H. Park, B. S. Lee and J. Y. Kim, "Comparison of the Attitudes Toward and Contact with Disabled Person among Health care Professionals, Lay persons, and Disabled Persons", Korean J Rehabil Nurs, Vol.13, No.1, pp.13-22, 2010.
- R. C. Travo, G. Palmar, and P. Redinius, "Medical student' attitudes toward person with disability : A Comparative study", Archives of Physical medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.83, No.11, pp.1537-1542, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2002.34620 https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2002.34620
- J. A. Kwon, Factors affecting the job satisfaction of occupational therapists, unpublished Master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2006.
- I. H. Kim, "Study of University Students' Perception of the Disabled", unpublished Master's thesis, Catholic University of Daegu, 2002.
- G. H. Choi, "Attitudes of Rehabilitation Professionals Toward people with Disabilities and Its Related Variables", Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol.16, No.4, pp.119-136, 2012.
- J. S. Lee, "A study on Attitudes toward the person with Disabilities of College Students", Koran Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol.26, pp.151-176, 2005.
- Y. S. Kang, "The Effects of Attitudes toward Disabled Children on Integrated Childcare Attitudes in Regular Parents", Journal of the Korea Academia -Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.7, pp.2991-2999, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.7.2991 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.7.2991
- A. Naamia and R. Hayashib, "Perceptions about Disability among Ghanaian University Students", Journal of Social Work in Disability and Rehabilitation, No.11, pp.110-111, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1536710x.2012.677616
- C. S. Yu, "A study of University Student's Perception and Attitude of Disabled", unpublished Master's thesis, Kongju National University, 2012.
- J. A. Sowers and M. R. Smith, "Nursing Faculty Member's Perceptions Knowledge, and Concerns About Students with Disabilities", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol.4, No.3, pp.1537-1542, 2004.
- M. J. White and R. S. Olson, "Attitude Toward people with Disabilities", Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol.23, No.3, pp.126-131, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.2048-7940.1998.tb01764.x https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2048-7940.1998.tb01764.x
- H. K. Jung and M. H. Kim, "Attitude of Physical and Nurses Toward with Disabled Person", Korean J Rehabil Nurs, Vol.7, No.2, pp.213-219, 2004.
- J. S. Kwag, Y. J. Kim and S. H. Woo, "The survey of dental hygiene student's consciousness about the disabled", Journal of Korea Contents, Vol.9, No.7, pp.214-247, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2009.9.7.241 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.5.214
- K. S Choi, "EMT-Paramedic student's Attitude to Disabled", The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Service, Vol.15, No.2, pp.85-99, 2011.
- K. K Kim, Y. J. Kim and J. W. Chae, "Factor Affecting Attitudes of health Care Professional Students Toward Physically Disabled Students", Journal of Korea Academy of Public Health Nursing, Vol.21, No.1, pp.57-66, 2007.
- C. Jang and H. S. Shin, "Study on the Occupational Therapy Students Attitudes and Behaviors for the person with Disabilities", Journal of the Korean Society of physical Medicine, Vol.8, No.3, pp.317-326, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.3.317
- E. G. Park, "A Study on the Attitudes of the University Students toward the Mentally Retarded" unpublished Master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2005.
- G. H. Choi, "Personality Types of Students in Special Education, Rehabilitation and Engineering and their Attitudes Toward People with Disabilities", Journal of vocational rehabilitation, Vol.21, No.2, pp.141-160, 2011.
- G. J. Oh, "The Undergraduates' Attitudes Toward Inclusive Physical Education of the Physically Disabled" The Korean journal of physical education, Vol.40, No.1, pp.811-820, 2001.
- H. W. Lee and W. R. Lee, "The Study of Attitude toward Disability of Persons without Disability", The Journal of Special Education: Theory and Practice, Vol.3, No.5, pp.471-492, 2004.
- S. Song and J. M. Kim, "The effect of factors on the university students' acceptive attitude toward the disabled", The Journal of Special Education: Theory and Practice, Vol.9, No.1, pp.83-99, 2008.
- E. Y. Kim, "A study on comparison of the non-disabled college students' attitudes toward the disabled, according as presence or absence of experiences of integrated education" unpublished Master's thesis, Daegu University, 2005.
- A. R. Oh, J. H. Lee and J. J. E, "Effects to Teenagers' Attitude Regarding the People with Disabled from TV Documentary Programs Related to Adapted Physical Education", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol.46, No.1, pp.981-990, 2011.
- E. J. Choi, "An Experimental Study on Effects of TV Program about Disabilities on College Students' Attitude to the Disabled Person", Journal of communication research, Vol.46, No.2, pp.67-99, 2009. https://doi.org/10.22174/jcr.2009.46.2.67
- S. A. Ryu, "The effect of contact experiences with people with psychiatric disability on the attitude of employability", Journal of vocational rehabilitation, Vol.22, No.1, pp.51-70, 2012.
- J. S. Lee, "Cognitive bases and Behavioral bases of Attitudes toward Persons with Disabilities - An Analysis of University Students' Attitudes toward the Disabled in JeollaBuk Do", Journal of Korean regional development, Vol.4, No.2, pp.39-57, 2004.
- P. K. Benham, "Attitudes of occupational therapy Personal toward person with disabilities", American Journal of Occupational Therapy, No.42, pp.305-311, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.42.5.305
- R. C. Tervo, "Health Professional Student attitudes toward people with disability", Clinical Rehabilitation, No.18, pp.908-915, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1191/0269215504cr820oa