- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Effect of the University Student's Entrepreneurship on Entrepreneurial Self-efficacy and Entrepreneurial Intention : Focusing on Mediating Effect of Opportunity Recognition
대학생의 기업가정신이 창업효능감 및 창업의지에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구 -창업기회인식의 매개 효과를 중심으로-
- Kang, Jae-Hac (Department of Venture Management, Graduate School of Venture, Hoseo University) ;
- Yang, Dong-Woo (Department of Venture Management, Graduate School of Venture, Hoseo University)
- Received : 2015.11.17
- Accepted : 2016.01.05
- Published : 2016.01.31
The aim of this study was to re-verify the importance of opportunity recognition as a mediating factor and add the entrepreneurial self-efficacy, which is recognized as another key factor that triggers start-up activities with the entrepreneurial intention, as a dependent variable. For this reason, in this study, 373 university students in Seoul, Gyeonggi-do Province, Inchon, were surveyed and analyzed empirically. The results of the study was as follows. First, the entrepreneurship partially affects the entrepreneurial self-efficacy and entrepreneurial intention. Second, the mediating effect of opportunity recognition between the entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial self-efficacy, and between entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial intention was verified.
- Jun-Hwan Yang, "A Study of the Effect of Entrepreneurial Education on Entrepreneurial Motivation: Focused on Mediating Effect of Entrepreneurship", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol.16, No.4, pp.2564-2572, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2564 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2564
- Vanevenhoven, J., "Advances and challenges in entrepreneurship education", Journal of Small Business Management, Vol. 51 No. 3, pp. 466-470. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jsbm.12043 https://doi.org/10.1111/jsbm.12043
- William Bygrave & Andrew Zacharakis, "Entrepreneurship", translated by Lee, M. H. & Lee, H. S., Seoul: Dong-Seo Media, 2013.
- Reader, D. and D. Watkins, "The social and collaborative natureof entrepreneurship scholarship: A co-citation and perceptual analysis," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 30 No. 3, pp. 417-441, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2006.00127.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2006.00127.x
- Muller, P., "Exploiting entrepreneurial opportunities: The impact of entrepreneurship on growth," Small Business Economics, Vol. 28 No. 4, pp. 355-362, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11187-006-9035-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-006-9035-9
- Hisrich, R., Peters, M., & Shepherd, D.. Entrepreneurship, ninth edition, NY: McGraw Hill, 2013.
- Kuratko, D. F., "Introduction to Entrepreneurship", Ninth Edition. Canada: South-Western Cengage L, 2013.
- Lee, J. W., "Venture Business", Seoul: Mae-il Economic Newspaper, 1997.
- Lee, J. H., "Relationships among Corporate Entrepreneurship, Organizational Structure, Organizational Cultures, and Organizational Performances", Doctoral thesis, Graduate School of Yeungnam University, 2005.
- Yoon, B. J., "The effects of entrepreneurial spirit and motivation-driven entrepreneurship on establishment of new business by undergraduate student", Doctoral thesis, Graduate School of Venture of Hoseo University, 2011.
- Kang, J. H., "A Study of Effect of Self-Leadership by College Student on Recognition of Opportunity on Establishment of Company and Will of Establishing Company: Centered on Mediated Effect of Entrepreneurship", Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 10 No. 4, pp. 1-12, 2015.
- Lee, M. J., Kim, J. G., "The Effects of Entrepreneurial Intention and Entrepreneurship on Entrepreneurial Success", The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11 No. 9, pp. 55-65, 2013.
- Han, J. H., Kim, J. H., "A Study on Entrepreneurship Education and Entrepreneurial Decision Makings", Review of business & economics, Vol. 26 No. 6, pp. 2777-2797, 2013.
- Jang, S. H., "The Effects of Internal, External Environment and Entrepreneurship on the Performance of Social Enterprise: Focused on the Network Activity", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 12 No. 11, pp. 4801-4811, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.4801 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.4801
- Oh, Y. M., Park, S. W., "The Effect of Entrepreneurship Education Program on Start-up Intention", Korean Management Consulting Review, Vol. 14 No. 2, pp. 199-221, 2014.
- Schumpeter, Joseph A., The Theory of Economic Development: An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest, and the Business, Cambridge : Harvard Univ. Press, 1934.
- Victor A. Thompson, "Bureaucracy and Innovation", Special Issue on Professionals in organizations, Vol. 10 No. 1, pp 1-20, 1965.
- Jung, J. H., "A Study on the effects of start-up education program on the entrepreneurship and the start-up and management performance", Doctoral thesis, Graduate School of Konkuk University, 2014.
- Hisrich, R. D. & Peters, M. P., "Establishing a new business venture unit within a firm", Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 1 No. 3, pp 307-322, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(86)90007-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(86)90007-8
- Lumpkin, G. T., & Dess, G. G., "Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance", Academy of management Review, Vol. 21 No. 1, pp 135-172, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/258632 https://doi.org/10.2307/258632
- Lee, C. W., "A Study on Corporate Entrepreneurship and Venture Performance - Resource Based Theoretical Approach", Doctoral thesis, Graduate School of Seoul National University, 1999.
- Noh, B. S., "A Study of Entrepreneurship Education Effect on the Self-Leadership and Entrepreneurship", Master thesis, Graduate School of Hoseo University, 2011.
- Sexton, Donald L., and Smilor, Raymond W., "The art and science of entrepreneurship", University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership Historical Research Reference in Entrepreneurship, 1986.
- Slevin, Dennis P. and Covin, Jeffrey G., "Juggling entrepreneurial style and organizational structure", MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 31 No. 2., 1990.
- Casson, M., "The Entrepreneur", Totowa, N.J. : Barnes & Noble Books. 1982.
- Shane, S., & Venkataraman, S., "The promise of entrepreneurship as a field of research", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 26 No. 1, pp. 217-226, 2000.
- Singh, Robert P., "A comment on developing the field of entrepreneurship through the study of opportunity recognition and exploitation", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 26 No. 1, pp. 10-12, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/259271 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2001.27879266
- Krueger, N. F., & Brazeal, D. V.. "Entrepreneurial potential and potential entrepreneurs". Entrepreneurship theory and practice, Vol.18 No.3, 91-104, 1994.
- Boyd, N. G., & Vozikis, G. S.. "The influence of self-efficacy on the development of entrepreneurial intentions and actions", Entrepreneurship theory and practice, Vol. 18 No. 4, pp. 63-77, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879401800404
- Kim, H. R., "An Empirical Study on the Effects of Personality and Self-Leadership of Potential Founders in the Micro Business Area on Founder Self-efficacy - Applying the Big Five Factors Model and the Self-Leadership Theory", Korea Journal of Business Administration, Vol 21 No. 6, pp. 2393-2420, 2008.
- Hisrich, R., Peters, M., & Shepherd, D.. Entrepreneurship, ninth edition, NY: McGraw Hill, 2013.
- Choi, M. H., Cho, S. S., "Study on Factors for Efficacy and Purpose of Starting Business after Middle Aged Workers' Retirement", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14 No. 7, pp. 226-241, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.226 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.226
- Oh, S. H., Ha, K. S., "Effects on Entrepreneurial Intention by Start-up Environment and Self-efficacy Mediated by Fear of Business Failure", The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11 No. 8, pp. 143-157.
- Yoon, N. S., "The Effect of Potential Entrepreneurial Motivations on Entrepreneurship and Commitment to Starts-up: Mediating Role of Entrepreneurship", Review of business & economics, Vol. 25 No. 2, pp. 1537-1557, 2012.
- Shapero, A., "The displaced, uncomfortable entrepreneur", Psychology today, Vol. 9 No. 6, pp. 83-88, 1975.
- Wasdani, K. P., & Mathew, M., "Potential for opportunity recognition: differentiating entrepreneurs", International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Vol. 23 No. 3, pp. 336-362, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJESB.2014.065526
- Niammuad, D., Napompech, K., & Suwanmaneepong, S., "The Mediating Effect Of Opportunity Recognition On Incubated-Entrepreneurial Innovation", International Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 18 No. 3, 1440005, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S1363919614400052 https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363919614400052
- Ajzen, I. & Fishbein, M., Understanding attitudes and predicting social behavior, Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall, 1980.
- Ajzen, I., "Theory of planned behavior", Organizational behavior and human decision process, Vol. 50 No. 2, pp. 179-211, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Podsakoff, P. M., Organ, D. W., "Selfreports in Organizational Research: Problems and Prospects," Journal of Management, Vol. 12 No. 4, pp. 531-544, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/014920638601200408 https://doi.org/10.1177/014920638601200408
- Shim, D.S., Yang, D.M., Ha, S.W.,"The Mediating Effects of Psychological Empowerment in the Relationships between Job Characteristics, Locus of Control and Leader-Member Exchange, and Job Performance", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 18 No. 3, pp.175-216, 2010.
- Shinnar, R. S., Hsu, D. K. & Powell, B. C., "Self-efficacy, entrepreneurial intentions, and gender: Assessing the impact of entrepreneurship education longitudinally", International Journal of Management Edcation, Vol. 12 No. 3, pp. 561-570, 2014.
- Maritz, A. & Brown, C., "Enhancing entrepreneurial self-efficacy through vocational entrepreneurship education programmes", Journal of Vocational Education and Training, Vol. 65 No. 4, pp. 543-559, 2013.
- Zhang, Y., Duysters, G. & Cloodt, M., "The role of entrepreneurship education as a predictor of university students' entrepreneurial intention" International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Vol. 10 No. 3, pp. 623-641, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-012-0246-z
- Mueller, S., "increasing entrepreneurial intention: effective entrepreneurship course characteristics" International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Vol. 13 No. 1, pp. 55-74, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJESB.2011.040416