- Volume 17 Issue 1
Background: This study used receiver operating characteristic curve to analyze Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) adenosquamous carcinoma data to identify predictive models and potential disparities in outcome. Materials and Methods: This study analyzed socio-economic, staging and treatment factors available in the SEER database for adenosquamous carcinoma. For the risk modeling, each factor was fitted by a generalized linear model to predict the cause specific survival. An area under the receiver operating characteristic curve (ROC) was computed. Similar strata were combined to construct the most parsimonious models. Results: A total of 20,712 patients diagnosed from 1973 to 2009 were included in this study. The mean follow up time (S.D.) was 54.2 (78.4) months. Some 2/3 of the patients were female. The mean (S.D.) age was 63 (13.8) years. SEER stage was the most predictive factor of outcome (ROC area of 0.71). 13.9% of the patients were un-staged and had risk of cause specific death of 61.3% that was higher than the 45.3% risk for the regional disease and lower than the 70.3% for metastatic disease. Sex, site, radiotherapy, and surgery had ROC areas of about 0.55-0.65. Rural residence and race contributed to socioeconomic disparity for treatment outcome. Radiotherapy was underused even with localized and regional stages when the intent was curative. This under use was most pronounced in older patients. Conclusions: Anatomic stage was predictive and useful in treatment selection. Under-staging may have contributed to poor outcome.
Adenosquamous carcinoma;radiotherapy;SEER registry;under usage;cause specific survival
- Adegoke O, Kulasingam S, Virnig B (2012). Cervical cancer trends in the United States: a 35-year population-based analysis. J Womens Health.
- Bhatia S (2011). Disparities in cancer outcomes: lessons learned from children with cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 56, 994-1002. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.23078
- Cheung MC, Zhuge Y, Yang R, et al (2010). Incidence and outcomes of extremity soft-tissue sarcomas in children. J Surg Res, 163, 282-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2010.04.033
- Cheung MR (2014a). Optimization of predictors of Ewing sarcoma cause-specific survival: a population study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4143-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4143
- Cheung MR (2014b). Receiver operating characteristic curve analysis of SEER medulloblastoma and primitive neuroectodermal tumor (PNET) outcome data: identification and optimization of predictive models. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6781-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6781
- Cheung MR (2014c). Surveying and optimizing the predictors for ependymoma specific survival using SEER data. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 867-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.867
- Cheung MR (2014d). Under-use of radiotherapy in stage III bronchioaveolar lung cancer and socio-economic disparities in cause specific survival: a population study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4091-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.4091
- Cheung R (2014e). Epidemiology and radiotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Cancer Clin Res, 1, 1.
- Cheung R (2015a). Smoking, air pollution and cancer: global epidemiology, public health and genomics. Ann Transl Med Epidemiol, 2, 1-7.
- Cheung R 2015b. Topics on radiotherapy, global cancer epidemiology and public health. Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Cheung R 2015 (In press). Determining best contours in radiotherapy treatment in a modern era, and asian American medical epidemiology: public health point of view.
- Cheung R 2015, in press. Contemporary notes on public health and radiotherapy topics, Austin Publishing Group, Austin eBooks.
- Cheung R, Altschuler MD, D'Amico AV, et al (2001a). ROCoptimization may improve risk stratification of prostate cancer patients. Urology, 57, 286-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(00)00911-0
- Cheung R, Altschuler MD, D'Amico AV, et al (2001b). Using the receiver operator characteristic curve to select pretreatment and pathologic predictors for early and late post-prostatectomy PSA failure. Urology, 58, 400-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(01)01209-2
- D'Amico AV, Desjardin A, Chung A, et al (1998). Assessment of outcome prediction models for patients with localized prostate carcinoma managed with radical prostatectomy or external beam radiation therapy. Cancer, 82, 1887-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980515)82:10<1887::AID-CNCR11>3.0.CO;2-P
- Galic V, Herzog TJ, Lewin SN, et al (2012). Prognostic significance of adenocarcinoma histology in women with cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 125, 287-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.01.012
- Hanley JA, McNeil BJ (1982). The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. Radiology, 143, 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.143.1.7063747
- Marcus DM, Goodman M, Jani AB, et al (2012). A comprehensive review of incidence and survival in patients with rare histological variants of prostate cancer in the United States from 1973 to 2008. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis, 15, 283-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/pcan.2012.4
- Masoomi H, Ziogas A, Lin BS, et al (2012). Population-based evaluation of adenosquamous carcinoma of the colon and rectum. Dis Colon Rectum, 55, 509-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/DCR.0b013e3182420953
- McDowell HP, Foot AB, Ellershaw C, et al (2010). Outcomes in paediatric metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma: results of The International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) study MMT-98. Eur J Cancer, 46, 1588-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.02.051
- Ognjanovic S, Linabery AM, Charbonneau B, et al (2009). Trends in childhood rhabdomyosarcoma incidence and survival in the United States, 1975-2005. Cancer, 115, 4218-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24465
- Pappo AS, Krailo M, Chen Z, et al (2010). Infrequent tumor initiative of the Children's Oncology Group: initial lessons learned and their impact on future plans. J Clin Oncol, 28, 5011-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.31.2603
- Perez EA, Kassira N, Cheung MC, et al (2011). Rhabdomyosarcoma in children: a SEER population based study. J Surg Res, 170, e243-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2011.03.001
- Sultan I, Qaddoumi I, Yaser S, et al (2009). Comparing adult and pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma in the surveillance, epidemiology and end results program, 1973 to 2005: an analysis of 2,600 patients. J Clin Oncol, 27, 3391-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.19.7483
- Travis WD, Lubin J, Ries L, et al (1996). United States lung carcinoma incidence trends: declining for most histologic types among males, increasing among females. Cancer, 77, 2464-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19960615)77:12<2464::AID-CNCR8>3.0.CO;2-M
- Wang J, Wang FW, Lagrange CA, et al (2010). Clinical features and outcomes of 25 patients with primary adenosquamous cell carcinoma of the prostate. Rare Tumors, 2, 47. https://doi.org/10.4081/rt.2010.e47