- Volume 57 Issue 4
Reinforced concrete (RC) deep beams are structural members that predominantly fail in shear. Therefore, determining the shear strength of these types of beams is very important. The strut-and-tie method is commonly used to design deep beams, and this method has been adopted in many building codes (ACI318-14, Eurocode 2-2004, CSA A23.3-2004). In this study, the efficiency of artificial neural networks (ANNs) in predicting the shear strength of RC deep beams is investigated as a different approach to the strut-and-tie method. An ANN model was developed using experimental data for 214 normal and high-strength concrete deep beams from an existing literature database. Seven different input parameters affecting the shear strength of the RC deep beams were selected to create the ANN structure. Each parameter was arranged as an input vector and a corresponding output vector that includes the shear strength of the RC deep beam. The ANN model was trained and tested using a multi-layered back-propagation method. The most convenient ANN algorithm was determined as trainGDX. Additionally, the results in the existing literature and the accuracy of the strut-and-tie model in ACI318-14 in predicting the shear strength of the RC deep beams were investigated using the same test data. The study shows that the ANN model provides acceptable predictions of the ultimate shear strength of RC deep beams (maximum
artificial neural network;deep beam;shear strength;strut-and-tie model;reinforced concrete
- ACI318-05 (2005), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- ACI318-14 (2014), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- Aguilar, G., Matamoros, A.B., Parra-Montesinos, G., Ramirez, J.A. and Wight, J.K. (2002), "Experimental evaluation of design procedures for shear strength of deep reinforced concrete beams", ACI Struct. J., 99(4), 539-548.
- Akbas, B. (2006), "A neural network model to assess the hysteretic energy demand in steel moment resisting frames", Struct. Eng. Mech., 23(2), 177-193. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2006.23.2.177
- Anderson, N.S. and Ramirez, J.A. (1989), "Detailing of stirrup reinforcement", ACI Struct. J., 86(5), 507-515.
- Arslan, M.H., Ceylan, M., Kaltakci, M.Y., Ozbay, Y. and Gulay, G. (2007), "Prediction of force reduction factor R of prefabricated industrial buildings using neural networks", Struct. Eng. Mech., 27(2), 117-134. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2007.27.2.117
- Arslan M.H. (2009), "Application of ANN to evaluate effective parameters affecting failure load and displacement of RC buildings", Nat Hazard. Earth. Syst. Sci., 9, 967-977. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-9-967-2009
- Arslan, M.H. (2010), "An evaluation of effective design parameters on earthquake performance of RC buildings using neural networks", Eng. Struct., 32, 1888-1898. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.03.010
- Chen, H.M., Tsai, K.H., Qi, G.Z., Yang, J.C.S. and Amini, F. (1995), "Neural networks for structural control", J. Comput. Civil Eng., 9(2), 168-176. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(1995)9:2(168)
- Chetchotisak, P., Teerawong, J., Yindeesuk, S. and Song, J. (2014), "New strut-and-tie models for shear strength prediction and design of RC deep beams", Comput. Concrete, 14(1), 19-40. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.14.1.019
- Clark, A.P. (1951), "Diagonal tension in reinforced concrete beams", ACI J., 48(10), 145-156.
- CSA A23.3-04 (2004), Design of Concrete Structures, Canadian Standards Association, Canada.
- Elcordy, M.F., Chang, K.C. and Lee, G.C. (1993), "Neural networks trained by analytically simulated damage states", J. Comput. Civil Eng., 7(2), 130-145. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(1993)7:2(130)
- Eun, H.C., Lee, Y.H., Chung, H.S. and Yang, K.H. (2006), "On the shear strength of reinforced concrete deep beam with web opening", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 15, 445-466. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.306
- Eurocode 2 (2004), Design of concrete structures, European Committee for Standardization.
- Fu, L. (1994), Neural Networks in Computer Intelligence, McGraw-Hill: USA.
- Inel, M. (2007), "Modeling ultimate deformation capacity of RC columns using artificial neural networks", Eng. Struct., 29(3), 329-335. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.05.001
- Kong, F.K., Robins, P.J. and Cole, D.F. (1970), "Web reinforcement effects on deep beams", ACI J., 67(12), 1010-1017.
- Lautour, O.R. and Omenzetter, P. (2009), "Prediction of seismic-induced structural damage using artificial neural networks", Eng. Struct., 31, 600-606. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.11.010
- MacGregor, J.G. (1997), Reinforced Concrete Mechanics and Design, 3rd Edition, Prentice-Hall International Inc., New Jersey.
- MATLAB (2006), Neural Network Toolbox User Guide, Matrix Laboratory.
- Mohammadhassani, M., Saleh A., Suhatril, M. and Safa, M. (2015), "Fuzzy modelling approach for shear strength prediction of RC deep beams", Smart Struct. Syst., 16(3), 497-519. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.16.3.497
- Oh, J.K. and Shin, S.W. (2001), "Shear strength of reinforced high-strength concrete deep beams", ACI Struct. J., 98(2), 164-173.
- Ozturk, M. (2012), "Prediction of tensile capacity of adhesive anchors including edge and group effects using neural networks", Sci. Eng. Compos. Mater., 20(1), 95-104.
- Park, J.W. and Kuchma, D. (2007), "Strut-and-tie model analysis for strength prediction of deep beams", ACI Struct. J., 104(6), 657-666.
- Quintero-Febres, C.G., Parra-Montesinos, G. and Wight, J.K. (2006), "Strength of struts in deep concrete members designed using strut-and-tie method", ACI Struct. J., 103(4), 577-586.
- Schlaich, J., Schafer, K. and Jennewein, M. (1987), "Toward a consistent design of structural concrete", PCI J., 32(3), 74-150. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.05011987.74.150
- Smith, K.N. and Vantsiotis, A.S. (1982), "Shear strength of deep beams", ACI J., 79(3), 201-213.
- Tan, K.H., Kong, F.K., Teng, S. and Guan, L. (1995), "High-strength concrete deep beams with effective span and shear span variations", ACI Struct. J., 92(4), 395-405.
- Williams, D.E., Rumelhart, G.E., Hinton, R.J. and Hinton, G. (1986), "Learning representations by backpropagating errors", Nature, 323, 533-536. https://doi.org/10.1038/323533a0
- Yang, K.H., Ashour, A., Song, J.K. and Lee, E.T. (2008), "Neural network modelling of RC deep beam shear strength", Proc. Inst. Civil Eng. Struct. Build., 161(SB1), 29-39. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2008.161.1.29
- Yavuz, G., Arslan, M.H. and Baykan, O.K. (2014), "Shear strength predicting of FRP-strengthened RC beams by using artificial neural networks", Sci. Eng. Compos. Mater., 21(2), 239-255.
- 1. Metamodel-based design optimization of structural one-way slabs based on deep learning neural networks to reduce environmental impact vol.155, 2018, doi:10.12989/sem.2016.57.4.657
- 2. Torsional parameters importance in the structural response of multiscale asymmetric-plan buildings vol.1, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.12989/sem.2016.57.4.657