- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Adhesion of clay to metal surface; Normal and tangential measurement
- Basmenj, Amir Khabbazi (Department of Engineering geology, Faculty of Sciences, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad) ;
- Ghafoori, Mohammad (Department of Engineering geology, Faculty of Sciences, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad) ;
- Cheshomi, Akbar (Department Engineering geology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Tehran) ;
- Azandariani, Younes Karami (Department Engineering geology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Tehran)
- Received : 2015.01.08
- Accepted : 2015.11.18
- Published : 2016.02.25
Adhesion in geotechnical engineering is the interaction between cohesive soil and a solid surface which can cause clogging in mechanized tunnelling through clayey formations. Normal piston pull out and modified direct shear tests were performed on clayey soil samples to determine which type of adhesion stress, normal or tangential, could be most effectively measured. Measured values for normal adhesion ranged from 0.9 to 18 kPa. The range of tangential adhesion was 2.4 to 10 kPa. The results indicate normal adhesion results were more accurate than those for the modified direct shear test that measure tangential adhesion. Direct shear test on identical samples did not show any correlation between measured cohesion and normal adhesion values. Normal adhesion values have shown significantly meaningful variation with consistency index and so are compatible with the base of field clogging assessment criteria. But tangential adhesion and cohesion were not compatible with these assessment criteria.
- ASTM D3080/D3080M-11 (2011), Standard Test Method for Direct Shear Test of Soils Under Consolidated Drained Conditions, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA. www.astm.org
- ASTM D4318-10e1 (2010), Standard Test Methods for Liquid Limit, Plastic Limit, and Plasticity Index of Soils, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA. www.astm.org
- ASTM E2282-13 (2013), Standard Guide for Defining the Test Result of a Test Method, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA. www.astm.org
- ASTM E691-11 (2011), Standard Practice for Conducting an Interlaboratory Study to Determine the Precision of a Test Method, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA. www.astm.org
- Atkinson, J.H., Fookes, P.G., Miglio, B.F. and Pettifer, J.S. (2003), "Destructuring and disaggregation of Mercia mudstone during full-face tunneling", Quarter. J. Eng. Geol. Hydrogeol., 36, 293-303. https://doi.org/10.1144/1470-9236/03-024
- Bhushan, B. (2003), "Adhesion and stiction: Mechanisms, measurement techniques, and methods for reduction", J. Vacuum Sci. Technol. B, 21, 2262. https://doi.org/10.1116/1.1627336
- Burbaum, U. (2009), "Adhasion bindiger Boden an Werkstoffoberflachen von Tunnelvortriebsmaschinen. Institut fur Angewandte Geowissenschaften", Technische Universitat Darmstadt Jancsecz, S. 1991, Definition geotechnischer Parameter fur den Einsatz von Schildvortriebsmaschinen.
- Feinendegen, M., Ziegler, M., Spagnoli, G., Fernandez-Steeger, T. and Stanjek, H. (2010), "A new laboratory test to evaluate the problem of clogging in mechanical tunnel driving with EPB shields", In: Rock Mechanical Civil and Environmental Engineering-(Zhao, Labiouse, Dudt and Mathier Eds.), Francis Group, London, UK, ISBN: 978-0-415-58654-2.
- Feinendegen, M., Ziegler, M., Weh, M. and Spagnoli, G. (2011), "Clogging during EPB-tunnelling Occurrence, classification and new manipulation method", Proceedings ITA-AITES World Tunnel Congress, Helsinki, Finland, May, pp. 767-776.
- GEODATA, S.P.A. (1995), "Review of alternative construction methods and feasibility of proposed methods for constructing Attiko Metro Extension of Line 3 to Egaleo: Attiko Metro S.A.", 191-193.
- Hollmann, F.S. and Thewes, M. (2013), "Assessment method for clay clogging and disintegration of fines in mechanized tunneling", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 37, 96-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2013.03.010
- Hollmann, F., Thewes, M. and Weh, M. (2014), "Einflusse von Verklebungen auf die Materialforderung von Schildvortrieben (Influence of Clogging on the Muck Transport in Shield Machines)", Tunnel, 3, pp. 10-19.
- Jancsecz, S., Krause, R. and Langmaack, L. (1999), "Advantages of soil conditioning in shield tunneling Experiences of LRTS Izmir", Oslo S. 865 ff., Balkema, ISBN: 90 5809 063 9.
- Khabbazi, A., Ghafoori, M., Cheshomi, A. and Karami, A.Y. (2014), "Design and manufacture of soilmetal adhesion test device and check the repeatability of the results", J. Iran. Assoc. Eng. Geol., ISSN: 2228-5245. [In Persian]
- Kooistra, A., Verhoef, P.N.W., Broere, W., Ngan-Tillard, D.J.M. and Vantol, A.F. (1998), "Appraisal of stickiness of natural clays from laboratory tests", Proceedings of the 25 Years National Symposium of Engineering Geology in the Netherlands, Delft, The Netherlands, December.
- Kim, K.K., Park, D.H., Yoo, J.K. and Lee, J.G. (2013), "Permeability and consolidation characteristics of clayey sand soils", J. Korea. Geotech. Soc., 29(3), 61-70.
- Messerklinger, S., Zumsteg, R. and Puzrin, A.M. (2011), "A new pressurized vane shear apparatus", Geotech. Test. J., 34(2), Paper ID GTJ103175. Available online at: www.astm.org
- Sass, I. and Burbaum, U. (2009), "A method for assessing adhesion of clays to tunneling machines", Bull. Eng. Geol. Environ., 68 (1), 27-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-008-0178-6
- Spagnoli, G., Stanjek, H., Fernandez-Steeger, T., Feinendegen, M. and Azzam, R. (2009), "Modification of mechanical behavior of clays for improving TBM tunnel driving", Get Underground, Proceedings of Rock Engineering Seminar, Helsinki, Finland, November, pp. 217-224.
- SubbaRao, K.S., Allam, M.M. and Robinson, R.G. (2002), "An apparatus for evaluating adhesion between soils and solid surfaces", J. Test. Eval., JTEVA, 30(1), 27-36. https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE12286J
- Thewes, M. and Burger, W. (2004), "Clogging risks for TBM drives in clay", Tunn. Tunn. Int., 36(6), 28-31.
- Thewes, M. and Burger, W. (2005), "Clogging of TBM drives in clay-identification and mitigation of risks, Underground space use", Underground Space Use: Analysis of the Past and Lessons for the Future, 737-742.
- Zimnik, R., Baalen, R.W., Verhoef, P.N.W., Broere, W. and Ngan-Tillard, D.J.M. (2000), "The adherence of clay to steel surfaces", Proceedings of GeoEng 2000: An International Conference on Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Melbourne, Australia, November.
- Wang, Z., Wong, R.C.K. and Heinz, H. (2010), "Assessment of long term behavior of a shallow tunnel in clay till", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 2(2), 107-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2010.2.2.107
- Zumsteg, A. and Puzrin, A.M. (2012), "Stickiness and adhesion of conditioned clay pastes", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 31, 86-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2012.04.010