- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Aerodynamic characteristics investigation of Megane multi-box bridge deck by CFD-LES simulations and experimental tests
- Received : 2015.03.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2016.02.25
Long-span suspension bridges have evolved through the years and with them, the bridge girder decks improved as well, changing their shapes from standard box-deck girders to twin box and multi-box decks sections. The aerodynamic characteristics of the new generation of twin and multiple-decks are investigated nowadays, to provide the best design wind speeds and the optimum dimensions such bridges could achieve. The multi-box Megane bridge deck is one of the new generation bridge decks, consisting of two side decks for traffic lanes and two middle decks for railways, linked between them with connecting beams. Three-dimensional CFD simulations were performed by employing the Large Eddy Simulation (LES) algorithm with a standard Smagorinsky subgrid-scale model, for
multi-box Megane bridge deck;aerodynamic coefficients;CFD simulation;wind tunnel experiments;wind flow patterns
- American Society of Civil Engineers, (1986), Manual of practice for wind tunnel testing of buildings and structures, Reston, Virginia, USA.
- Anderson, B., Anderson, R., Hakansson, L., Mortensen, M., Sudiyo, R. and van Wachem, B. (2011), Computational Fluid Dynamics for Engineers, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Anderson, J.D. (1995), Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Basics with Applications, McGraw-Hill Science, New York.
- Belloli, M., Fossati, F., Giappino, S. and Muggiasca, S. (2013), "Vortex induced vibrations of a bridge deck: dynamic response and surface pressure distribution", Proceedings of the 12th Americas Conference on Wind Engineering, June, Seattle, USA.
- Caracoglia, L. (2011), "Simulation of linear and non-linear propagation effects of a random turbulence field on bridge flutter instability", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99(9), 945-954. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.06.001
- Diana, G., Falco, M., Cheli F. and Cigada, A. (1999), Experience gained in the Messina Bridge aerolastic project, long span bridges and aerodynamics, Springer, Kobe, Japan.
- Diana, G. Resta, F. and Rocchi, D. (2008), "A new numerical approach to reproduce bridge aerodynamic non-linearities in time domain", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(10-11), 1871-1884. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.02.052
- Ge, Y.J. and Xiang, H.F. (2008), "Recent development of bridge aerodynamics in China", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(6-7), 736-768. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.06.045
- Ge, Y.J. and Xiang, H.F. (2008), "Bluff body aerodynamics application in challenging bridge span length", Proceedings of the VI BBAA, Milano, July.
- Ge, Y.J. and Xiang, H.F. (2009), "Aerodynamic stabilization for box-girder suspension bridges with super-long span", Proceedings of the 5th EACWE, Florence, July.
- Ge, Y.J., Yang, Y.X. and Cao, F.C. (2011), "VIV sectional model testing and field measurement of Xihoumen Suspension Bridge with twin box girder", Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Amsterdam, Netherlands, July.
- Kwok, K.C.S., Qin, X.R., Fok, C.H. and Hitchcock, P.A. (2012), "Wind-induced pressures around a sectional twin-deck bridge model: Effects of gap-width on the aerodynamic forces and vortex shedding mechanisms", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 110, 50-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.07.010
- Kuroda, S. (1997), "Numerical simulation of flow around box girder of a long span suspension bridge", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 67-68, 239-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00076-7
- Larsen, A. and Walther J.H. (1997), "Aeroelastic analysis of bridge girder sections based on discrete vortex simulations", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod,, 67-68, 253-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00077-9
- Larsen, A., Savage, M., Lafreniere, M., Hui, M. and Larsen, S.V. (2008), "Investigation of vortex response of a twin box bridge section at high and low Reynolds numbers", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(6-7), 934-944. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.06.020
- Li, H., Laima, S., Ou, J., Zhao, X., Zhou, W., Yu,Y., Li, N. and Liu, N. (2011), "Investigation of vortex-induced vibration of a suspension bridge with two separated steel box girders based on field measurements", Eng. Struct., 33(6), 1894-1907. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.02.017
- Lin, T.Y. and Chow, P., (1991), "Gibraltar Strait Crossing, a challenge to bridge and structural engineering", IABSE J. Struct.Eng. Int., 1(2), 53-58.
- Lee, S., Kwon, S.D. and Yoon, J. (2014), "Reynolds number sensitivity to aerodynamic forces of twin box bridge girder", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 127, 59-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.02.004
- Mannini, C., Soda, A., Voss, R. and Schewe, G. (2010), "Unsteady RANS simulations of flow around a bridge section", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 98(12), 742-753. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2010.06.010
- Matsumoto, M., Mizuno, K., Okubo, K. and Ito, Y. (2007), "Flutter instability and recent development in stabilization of structures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(9-11), 888-907. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.01.015
- Matsuda, K., Cooper, K.R., Tanaka, H., Tokushige, M. and Iwasaki T. (2001), "An investigation of Reynolds number effects on the steady and unsteady aerodynamic forces on a 1:10 scale bridge deck section model", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 89(7-8), 619-632. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00062-9
- Osborne, R. (1985), "On the Dynamical Theory of Incompressible Viscous Fluids and the Determination of the Criterion", Philos. T. R. Soc. London, 186, 123-164.
- Ostenfeld, K.H. and Larsen, A. (1992), "Bridge Engineering and aerodynamics", Proceedings of the 1st Int. Symp. on Aerodynamics of Large Bridges, A.A. Balkema Publishers, Denmark.
- Park, K.H., Park, J.H., Lee, J.H., Seo, J.W., Yang, S.M., Kim, G.N., Lee, M.J. and Shin, S.K. (2009), "The planning and basic design of Ulsan Harbour Bridge", Proceedings of the Korea-China-Japan Symposium on Steel Structure Construction, Seoul, November.
- Schewe, G. and Larsen, A. (1998), "Reynolds number effects in the flow around a bluff bridge deck cross section", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 74-76, 829-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00075-0
- Schewe, G. (2001), "Reynolds number effects in flow around a more-or-less bluff bodies", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 89, 1267-1289. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00158-1
- Simiu, E. and Scanlan, R.H., (1996), Wind Effect on Structures, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Shirai, S., and Ueda, T. (2003), "Aerodynamic simulation by CFD on flat box girder of super-long-span suspension bridge", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91, 279-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00351-3
- Smagorinsky, J. (1963), "General Circulation Experiments with the Primitive Equations", Mon. Weather Rev. 91(3), 99-164. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1963)091<0099:GCEWTP>2.3.CO;2
- Wardlaw, R.L. (1992), "The improvement of aerodynamics performance", Proceedings of the 1st Int.Symp. on Aerodynamics of Large Bridges, A.A. Balkema Publishers, Denmark.
- Xu, Y.L., Ko, J.M. and Yu, Z. (1997), "Modal analysis of tower-cable system of Tsing Ma long suspension bridge", Eng. Struct., 19(10), 857-867. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00158-2