- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Strouhal number of bridge cables with ice accretion at low flow turbulence
- Received : 2015.05.04
- Accepted : 2015.01.15
- Published : 2016.02.25
The paper concerns with the method and results of wind tunnel investigations of the Strouhal number (St) of a stationary iced cable model of cable-supported bridges with respect to different angles of wind attack. The investigations were conducted in the Climatic Wind Tunnel Laboratory of the Czech Academy of Sciences in
bridge cable;ice accretion;Strouhal number;angle of attack;vortex shedding frequency
- West, G.S. and Apelt, C.J. (1982), "The effects of tunnel blockage and aspect ratio on the mean flow past a circular cylinder with Reynolds numbers between 104 and 105", J. Fluid Mech., 114, 361-377. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112082000202
- Zdero, R. and Turan, O.F. (2010), "The effect of surface strands, angle of attack, and ice accretion on the flow field around electrical power cables", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 98(10-11), 672-678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2010.04.005
- Zhitao, Y., Zhengliang, L., Eric, S. and William, E.L. (2013), "Galloping of a single iced conductor based on curved-beam theory", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 123, 77-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.10.002
- Wardlaw, R.L. (1990), "Wind effects on bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 33(1-2), 301-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(90)90045-E
- Waris, M.B., Ishihara, T. and Sarwar, M.W. (2008), "Galloping response prediction of ice-accreted transmission lines", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Advances in Wind and Structures, Seogwipo, Jeju, Korea, May.
- Jakobsen, J.B., Andersen, T.L., Macdonald, J.H.G., Nikitas, N., Larose, G.L., Savage, M.G. and McAuliffe, B.R. (2012), "Wind-induced response and excitation characteristics of an inclined cable model in the critical Reynolds number range", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 110, 100-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.04.025
- Koss, H., Gjelstrup, H. and Georgakis, C.T. (2012), "Experimental study of ice accretion on circular cylinders at moderate low temperatures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 104-106, 540-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.03.024
- Koss, H., Henningsen, J.F. and Olsen, I. (2013), "Influence of icing on bridge cable aerodynamics", Proceedings of the 15th International Workshop on Atmospheric Icing of Structures (IWAIS XV), St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, September.
- Koss, H. and Lund, M.S.M. (2013), "Experimental investigation of aerodynamic instability of iced bridge cable sections", Proceedings of the 6th European and African Wind Engineering Conference, Robinson College, Cambridge, UK, July.
- Makkonen, L. (1998), "Modeling power line icing in freezing precipitation", Atmos. Res., 46(1-2), 131-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8095(97)00056-2
- Matsumoto, M., Yagi, T., Shigemura, Y. and Tsushima, D. (2001), "Vortex-induced cable vibration of cable-stayed bridges at high reduced wind velocity", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 89(7-8), 633-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00063-0
- Niemann, H.J. and Holscher, N. (1990), "A review of recent experiments on the flow past circular cylinders", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 33, 197-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(90)90035-B
- Pantazopoulos, M.S. (1994), "Vortex-induced vibration parameters: critical review", Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Osaka, Japan, June.
- PN-87/B-02013 (1987), Actions on building structures. Variable environmental actions, Atmospheric icing action, Polish Standard (in Polish).
- Remondino, F., Del Pizzo, S., Kersten, T.P. and Troisi, S. (2012), "Low-Cost and Open-Source Solutions for Automated Image Orientation-a critical overview", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Progress in Cultural Heritage Preservation.
- Surry, J. and Surry, D. (1967), The effect of inclination on the Strouhal number and other wake properties of circular cylinders at subcritical Reynolds numbers, Technical Report, UTIAS Technical note No. 116, Institute for Aerospace Studies, University of Toronto.
- Taylor, J.B., Carrano, L.A. and Kandlikar, S.G. (2006), "Characterization of the effect of surface roughness and texture on fluid flow-past, present, and future", Int. J. Therm. Sci., 45(10), 962-968. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2006.01.004
- Wagner, T. and Peil, U. (2011), "Ice formation on transmission line cables in tandem arrangement", Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Amsterdam, Netherlands, July.
- Impollonia, N., Ricciardi, G. and Saitta, F. (2011), "Vibrations of inclined cables under skew wind", Int. J. Nonlinear. Mech., 46(7), 907-918. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2011.03.006
- ISO 12494 (2001), Atmospheric icing of structures, Int. Standard.
- Demartino, C., Georgakis, C.T. and Ricciardelli, F. (2013a), "Experimental study of the effect of icing on the aerodynamics of circular cylinders-Part II: Inclined flow", Proceedings of the 6th European and African Wind Engineering Conference, Robinson College, Cambridge, UK, July.
- Demartino, C., Koss, H. and Ricciardelli, F. (2013b), "Experimental study of the effect of icing on the aerodynamics of circular cylinders-Part I: Cross flow", Proceedings of the 6th European and African Wind Engineering Conference, Robinson College, Cambridge, UK, July.
- Demartino, C., Koss, H.H., Georgakis, C.T. and Ricciardelli, F. (2015), "Effects of ice accretion on the aerodynamics of bridge cables", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 138, 98-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.12.010
- Demartino, C. and Ricciardelli, F. (2015), "Aerodynamic stability of ice-accreted bridge cables", J. Fluid Struct., 52, 81-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2014.10.003
- Bartoli, G., Cluni, F., Gusella, V. and Procino, L. (2006), "Dynamics of cable under wind action: Wind tunnel experimental analysis", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94(5), 259-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.01.002
- Buresti G. (1981), "The effect of surface roughness on the flow regime around circular cylinders", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 8(1-2), 105-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(81)90011-8
- Dyrbye, C. and Hansen, S.O. (1997), Wind loads on structures, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New York, USA.
- Eurocode 1 (2009), Action on structures-part 1-4: General action-Wind action.
- Flaga, A. (2008), Wind engineering, Arkady, Warsaw (in Polish).
- Flaga, A. (2011), Footbridges, WKL, Warsaw (in Polish).
- Fu, P., Farzaneh, M. and Bouchard, G. (2006), "Two-dimensional modelling of the ice accretion process on transmission line wires and conductors", Cold Reg. Sci. Technol., 46(2), 132-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2006.06.004
- Gjelstrup, H., Georgakis, C.T. and Larsen, A. (2007), "A preliminary investigation of the hanger vibrations on the Great Belt East Bridge", Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics, Vienna, Austria, December.
- Gjelstrup, H., Georgakis, C.T. and Larsen, A. (2012), "An evaluation of iced bridge hanger vibrations through wind tunnel testing and quasi-steady theory", Wind Struct., 15(5), 385-407. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2012.15.5.385
- Gurung, C.B., Yamaguchi, H. and Yukino, T. (2002), "Identification of large amplitude wind-induced vibration of ice accreted transmission lines based on field observed data", Eng. Struct., 24(2), 179-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00089-X
- Hartog, J.P.D. (1932), "Transmission-line vibration due to sleet", Inst. Electrical Engineers, 51(4), 1074-1086. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-AIEE.1932.5056223
- http://cet.arcchip.cz/wind-laboratory-en (last visit in April, 2015).
- http://www.toledoblade.com/gallery/Ice-closes-Skyway (last visit in January, 2014).
- Huang, H., Li, J., Li, Z., Yan, Z. and Liu, S. (2011), "Test study on transmission line's ice accretion", Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Amsterdam, Netherlands, July.
- Investigation of Strouhal number of ice-accreted bridge cables at moderate flow turbulence vol.107, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201710700080
- Wind-Tunnel Experiments on Vortex-Induced Vibration of Rough Bridge Cables vol.22, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001104
- Wake Characteristics of Ice-Accreted Cylindrical Bars in a Cross-Flow at Subcritical Reynolds Numbers vol.31, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000816
- Aerodynamics of nominally circular cylinders: A review of experimental results for Civil Engineering applications vol.137, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.01.023
Supported by : Ministry of Education